Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.08.17, 11:58 PM   #891
Necronopticous

Necronopticous has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Huh, really interested in this. I always thought Oomori was making a jab at Kyary at the beginning of 新宿 for not writing her own music, but maybe I've had it wrong all this time?
Necronopticous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 12:09 AM   #892
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Waiting on the edge of my seat for that interview...

But I bet it will be pansy ass generic questions like always

And yeah, it certainly is a jab at KPP on the start of Shinjuku. *remember that was pretty much at the start of her studio career/before she went major though*. Do remember that AVEX did make her take that KPP line out on the Tokarev album...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.18 at 12:17 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 09:45 AM   #893
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Why would Oomori take a jab at KPP for not writing her own music when Oomori herself has written tunes for jpop artists? Oomori also seems to have a love affair with jpop.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 01:15 PM   #894
Necronopticous

I think it's pretty unclear what Oomori's true feelings are on JPOP/idols (or anything, really) in general, but I definitely think it is safe to say there are aspects that she despises and pet peeves that she has despite showing flamboyant love for the concept. That's the impression I've always gotten, anyway. The line in question always struck me as calling Kyary out for being phony and unartistic considering her immense popularity--jealousy almost certainly played a part in it since this was before she had much popularity herself, as DG mentions.

Anyway, while petty and probably a bit immature, that line is a perfect example of what really makes Oomori stand out to me as such an aggressively passionate and genuine female voice in the oppressive Japanese music industry. I hope she's not going soft!
Old 2015.08.18, 01:19 PM   #895
Necronopticous

By the way, Oomori's peace sign claw is the best.
Old 2015.08.18, 04:53 PM   #896
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I wouldn't worry about her going soft- you have read the lyrics to Magic Mirror right? Pretty hard hitting/moving...

And god, Fadedsun- are you all out of fun? You seem to constantly challenge absolutely everything I say nowadays, no matter how minimal. I'm just messing around. Of course nothing's gonna happen. I just wish it would. Others are already taking bets on who would win that fight.

I remember Oomori didn't take a really nasty jab (nothing like I do with Ringo) or anything, more a cheeky peck- it was more along the lines of 'she's super cute, but there's no meat underneath'. I don't remember her calling her a 'phony' or anything. I'm not sure if I'd call it jealousy, it was more of a call out in the vein of 'I can do it with meaning' (and she proved this with Sennou)- at least, that's what I remember. I'd have to go back and look myself. It'll be in the earlier pages of this thread- IIRC, it was turtlefu who was looking into it all at first.

Anyway, here's a good translation of Shinjuku

http://englishtranslationforjapanese...-seiko-by.html

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.08.18 at 05:35 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 10:53 PM   #897
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Wink

Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
I think it's pretty unclear what Oomori's true feelings are on JPOP/idols (or anything, really) in general, but I definitely think it is safe to say there are aspects that she despises and pet peeves that she has despite showing flamboyant love for the concept.
I definitely don't know Oomori's true feelings on anything and don't follow her closely enough to guess, but it's worth mentioning (you many already know this) that she's known to many as "that morning musume fan." I definitely get the impression that she has certain idols she's deeply invested in, and she seems like the type to enjoy being pulled periodically into their clean, shimmering world of cute young ladies. her notes on Midnight Seijun Isei Kouyuu (which she took 3 months to write to perfection) is basically her going on in Oomori-style run-ons about her feelings for the lady and the distance she feels between them but how basically happy reading over her blog, etc. makes her feel. So, the same as any other idol fanatic, really

I think J-pop and idol is very integral to her newer works especially, and that could change, but I think that scene has provided her with a lot of support through large communities of women who also want to make people feel things through their art.

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.08.18 at 10:59 PM. Reason: misquoted her notes
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 11:03 PM   #898
deadgrandma

A photo from an Oomori costume exhibition "MUSE" now at Liquid Room.

Also, the audacity of this name of this playlist.

I had to laugh at the cheek and backhanded insult to a certain other artist haha. (Or perhaps a certain last.fm user, or both?). Still... funny. Even I can't come up with this kind of gold.
Old 2015.08.19, 12:39 AM   #899
Kitty

Kitty has had more than 15 seconds of fame

While we are on the topic of Shinjuku, anyone think that the song could be read as actually praising Kyari Pamyu Pamyu? That her music being songs for everybody is actually a good thing? Let me explain what I'm thinking by looking back at the lyrics.

きゃりーぱみゅぱみゅ
みんなのうたは だれのうた?
B.L.Tみたいな
CanCamみたいな
ジャンプ spring smartなうた

Kyari Pamyu Pamyu
A song for all, is the song of whom?
B.L.T.-like
CanCam-like
"Jump" "spring" "smart" songs

The question I'm asking is: are the first two lines being compared to, or contrasted with the next three lines? Both seem possible, but if we consider that magazines like B.L.T. and CanCam are marketed for specific audiences, and people could identify oneself and be identified by others from the magazines they read, this seems like the opposite of a song for everyone. In this sense, a song for all could be something like an ideal, that which transcends specific consumer markets, but in doing so, loses the ability to be labeled with the simplistic types of catchphrases used in fashion magazines like "Jump" "spring" and "smart." Of course, there is nothing at all to prevent us from comparing them as equals, and the structure of the lines might actually make that a more straightforward way of reading it.

I would also say that my interpretation of these lines is influenced by my interpretation of the song as a whole. In a sense, I see the song as showing Shinjuku as a place which accepts all, even Oomori Seiko. Similarly, Oomori sends out her music to anybody who will accept it. While I don't want to make this post much longer than it is, I'll give one more example as food for thought.

あの愛にうずくまる 才能がなかったから
私 あなたが好き
誰でもいいの

あの街をあるく
才能がなかったから
私 新宿が好き
汚れてもいいの

Curled up in that love, because I did not have any talent
I love you
Anyone would do

I walk through that town
Because I did not have any talent
I love Shinjuku
It doesn't matter if I (or Shinjuku) get(s) dirty.

Just as Shinjuku accepted her, Oomori Seiko accepts you, the listener. It doesn't matter how the association with you or anybody would present her in the eyes of others (dirty her reputation, etc), just as Shinjuku accepts all, regardless of the reputation it gives the area. In this sense, it might be fitting to think of "that town" not simply as Shinjuku, but a certain image/area of Shinjuku, such as Kabukicho, where some of the live houses she frequently performs at are (Shinjuku Loft, Shinjuku Loft Plus One)

Sorry for the long post (><), and thanks for letting me play translator for a little! Let me know if you think I'm completely off base here It's easy to interpret things in the wrong direction, especially once you start talking to yourself

Last edited by Kitty : 2015.08.19 at 12:43 AM.
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.19, 12:57 AM   #900
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I like your interpretation! I've got nothing to add to the analysis, really.

I think the "minna no uta" could be also be referring to the Japanese TV program "minna no uta" or, maybe more likely, even to Kyary's song Minna no Uta

"Jump spring smart" seems like she's also playing with other magazines Jump (manga), "Spring" (women's fashion), "Smart" (men's fashion/lifestyle...?). Maybe it's a way of saying that there are things that aren't for everyone, but she (and shinjuku, too) accept anyone, whether they're BLT, CanCam, Jump, Spring, Smart, or Seiko? I rather liked this song before, so thanks for saying something to make me give it a second look