Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.07.03, 05:06 AM   #21
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Actually, the stereotype of a "Soap Opera" in the UK isn't what we think of it in the US. They're generally primetime stuff like "Eastenders" and are some of the highest rated shows in the UK. So more equivalent to the doramas in Japan or Desperate Housewives/Grey's Anatomy in the US (which technically are "soaps" too but people don't call them that).

I'm sure pretty sure the 17 demo doesn't have the lyrics about "soaps". It's something along the lines of "talkin' bout the stuff they wore".

My thoughts on "Robbie Clark"/"Jack Brown" are that I don't think either of those people actually exist under those names. There's obviously some songs where someone fluent in English did most of the translating. More recently if they're helping at all they're just doing an individual phrase or word advice. I think she has a pretty decent grasp of basic English considering she can ad-lib "I gotta write this down" after a cool vocal she did or "I just wanna be with you, I really really do".

My theory is that the better the English pronounciation is, the more Ringo had a hand in actually writing the lyrics. I can't make out half the words in Mittei Monogatari even though the actual lyrics are in naturally flowing English. The same with some of that other stuff around that era where Ringo doesn't have a good grasp on how to pronounce those words in English.

The Dai Hakken stuff is in much more fluently-pronounced English despite the lyrics being more gibberish. Same thing with her early work and demos.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.05, 11:29 AM   #22
iliviriel

iliviriel pleased at least somebody

For english, I can not really say but for french, I can say that either she is fluent in french, I doubt it considering her accent (in Jazz a gogo for exemple), either she has friends or collaborators who make the translation in french.
Most of you may already know it but the song "Papaya Mango" is a cover of "mangos" by Rosemary Clooney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmwA9KE1KY

As you notice, there is no french lyrics which means that this is an original part from Shiina. Not only this part is grammatically right but it is also meaningful with some poetry. This could only be written by a fluent person in french.

The second exemple is in Tsukigime-hime. In the background, there are some french lyrics like "elle est trop radine la princesse". The adjective radine used with the word trop is perfect french.

I cannot imagine someone translating those sentences using a dictionnary. That's why I can say that someone is making the translation for her in french (or she is fluent in french but I've never heard of this) and that person is a professional.

I know that she speaks english and that may be different but considering how she is a perfectionist, I won't be surprised that a professional translator helped her to write the lyrics in english.
iliviriel is offline   Reply With Quote