Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.01.04, 06:21 AM   #11
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Woahh never saw that thread. Interesting.
(Un?)fortunately, I'm not as ambitious as Oasis heart3. I rewrite the lyrics mainly for my self. I'll record myself singing them, and I even uploaded a crappy trial version to youtube, but they're only done for fun.
I really like the idea though. I don't want to cause a huge ruckus in this thread, so I'll keep it at: I think it's interesting to see how songs can be translated/interpreted into other languages.
Old 2010.01.04, 07:39 PM   #12
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I don't have the courage to sing along, especially in front of other people. In fact, I don't think I've ever sang Shiina Ringo songs in front of my family and friends. I will occasionally hum or sing parts of songs that she does in English around other people but NEVER in Japanese. That is because the Japanese language, as I've said before, is something I have absolutely no knowledge of. I can speak Japanese about as well as I can do rhythmic gymnastics blindfolded. And don't even get me started on reading and writing it. So I am not physically capable of singing her Japanese songs (in case I didn't beat that point to the ground yet).

But sometimes I do really want to sing along. So what do I do when I want to? Well, what I can do is sing her songs by making the Japanese words into English ones! I'll use Marunouchi Sadistic as an example:

Houshuu wa nyuushago heikousen de

See? I have no idea what this means nor do I know how to sing it. I know vaguely how it sounds but I certainly don't have the audacity to claim I can sing this. I suppose I could do a lot of memorization but I'd still have no idea what the lyrics are actually saying unless I consult frecklegirl's site for translations. Now, my version:

Horseshoe won a shadow/Hey, go Sunday

Makes a lot more sense, right? Well... kind of anyway. I'm not sure who Horseshoe is supposed to be and what winning a shadow actually means. Nor do I understand why someone is supposed to go somewhere on Sunday. But it's in English! And I can understand English!

I actually did this for Marunouchi Sadistic in its entirety but I'm reluctant to post it.
Old 2010.01.05, 12:37 AM   #13
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yup and yes. kabukichou no joou has been a recent favorite of mine at karaoke. before that, tsumi to batsu was a great one to stand on the seat cushions and belt out, and OSCA fun to surprise friends with. ringo at karaoke = good times.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.05, 04:02 AM   #14
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Do you know what's fun to sing along to?

Jusui Negai.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.05, 06:17 PM   #15
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
But sometimes I do really want to sing along. So what do I do when I want to? Well, what I can do is sing her songs by making the Japanese words into English ones! I'll use Marunouchi Sadistic as an example:

Houshuu wa nyuushago heikousen de

See? I have no idea what this means nor do I know how to sing it. I know vaguely how it sounds but I certainly don't have the audacity to claim I can sing this. I suppose I could do a lot of memorization but I'd still have no idea what the lyrics are actually saying unless I consult frecklegirl's site for translations. Now, my version:

Makes a lot more sense, right? Well... kind of anyway. I'm not sure who Horseshoe is supposed to be and what winning a shadow actually means. Nor do I understand why someone is supposed to go somewhere on Sunday. But it's in English! And I can understand English!

I actually did this for Marunouchi Sadistic in its entirety but I'm reluctant to post it.
I did this too back when I didn't know Japanese. I think I posted a few of them in the "Misheard Lyrics" thread. You should definitely post it in its entirety. I think that would help out people who would like to sing those songs but don't speak Japanese, in addition to being very amusing! I don't think it would be embarrassing at all.

I mean, Ringo basically did the same thing with "Rinne Highlight." You've got nothing to be ashamed of if you're just doing what she did with your own language!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.05, 06:49 PM   #16
chibijelly

chibijelly has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yes. I do.

Frequently.

I love it when my iPod's on shuffle in the car and I'm hit with an unexpected Shiina/Jihen track. It usually happens when I really need to just get angry and let everything out that's been upsetting me during the day.
chibijelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.07, 11:14 AM   #17
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

I always do! at karaoke.

its quite easy. spanish helps somehow.

for pronunciation atleast
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.07, 03:17 PM   #18
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post

Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.08, 06:29 PM   #19
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
its quite easy. spanish helps somehow.

for pronunciation atleast
Yes, the R sound is the same, which is quite nice.

Aha, I remembered I had already posted my little approximation sounds I had for a line in MaruSadi here.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.09, 01:52 AM   #20
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Akane. I sing it all the time, in the kitchen, at work, everywhere. For this reason I'm stuck being her fan forever and I've decided to accept this as part of life and not worry about it. Kokoro's the other one I can't stop singing but I only know the lyrics to the first line. Tokyo no Hito, now I think of it... Rakujitsu for some reason I sing with an R&B swing (Kimi wa uma-re! Boku ni de-ai!)

There's karaoke places in London where I'd normally do Gibs because that's slow and easy enough to read the furigana. I tried Tadashii Machi once and died on my arse. I love karaoke, it really makes you appreciate a melody, and people who don't know Ringo often comment on how good her songs are. And there was one time with another person who does know her, whose total recall of most other Ringo lyrics amazes me, trying to keep up with the romaji of Cappuccino from a mobile phone.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote