Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.01.15, 08:21 PM   #111
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

maybe its a sign of the times when it comes to said 'flood' -- cuz it's not just me anymore (and all I'm interested in this thread is defending Puffy for those that are being introduced to them through this song that doesn't do them justice.)
Old 2009.01.16, 01:58 AM   #112
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
rehashing herself with Tsumi to Batsu/Shuukyo and Marunouchi Saditsic/Hatsukoi just get passed over over in a quick mention a few times.
WHAT?
kuro_neko, if there's any similarity between those songs you'r mentioning, it can't be as noticeable as Amagasa and Hyori Hime. And I'm guessing you mean Tsumi to Batsu/Marunouchi Sadistic and Shuukyou/Hatsukoi, because that's the only way it could even make some sense.
And no, I don't expect people with less than 3000 plays on Ringo to notice the similarities between Hyori Hime and Shoujo Robot or Blackout. That's why I'm posting on EMF, after all, where everyone is a fan. But since your friends say I'm full of crap, I'll just orz myself.

EDIT:
First part of the first Genji Monogatari episode. It has the TV-Size version of Hyori Hime, starting @ 2:16.
Like I thought, it doesn't match the show. Or it does... in a weird way.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.01.16 at 04:27 AM.
Old 2009.01.16, 09:20 AM   #113
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Wow. I thought people were blowing things out of proportion when they said that it sounded like Blackout. But wow.

Not saying anything bad about either Puffy or Shiina Ringo or Tokyo Jihen. But wow.
Old 2009.01.16, 11:48 AM   #114
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
WHAT?
kuro_neko, if there's any similarity between those songs you'r mentioning, it can't be as noticeable as Amagasa and Hyori Hime. And I'm guessing you mean Tsumi to Batsu/Marunouchi Sadistic and Shuukyou/Hatsukoi, because that's the only way it could even make some sense.
And no, I don't expect people with less than 3000 plays on Ringo to notice the similarities between Hyori Hime and Shoujo Robot or Blackout. That's why I'm posting on EMF, after all, where everyone is a fan. But since your friends say I'm full of crap, I'll just orz myself.

EDIT:
First part of the first Genji Monogatari episode. It has the TV-Size version of Hyori Hime, starting @ 2:16.
Like I thought, it doesn't match the show. Or it does... in a weird way.
Tsumi to Batsu and Shuukyou have almost the exact same chord progression, just play them back to back and you will hear it. When HF came out it was noted that Hatsukoi Shoujo had almost the same chord progression as Marunouchi Sadistic in a much slowed down fashion as well, you can take a listen back to back and judge for yourself.
Old 2009.01.16, 12:16 PM   #115
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Tsumi to Batsu and Shuukyou have almost the exact same chord progression, just play them back to back and you will hear it. When HF came out it was noted that Hatsukoi Shoujo had almost the same chord progression as Marunouchi Sadistic in a much slowed down fashion as well, you can take a listen back to back and judge for yourself.
Oh my...

If Hiyori-hime had to be compared to any SR/TJ track, it would definitely be Blackout and Shoujo Robot, and that's all. Stop comparing the song with Shiina Ringo's whole discography 'cause it has no sense.
Old 2009.01.17, 07:44 AM   #116
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^Kuro_neko was comparing Tsumi to Batsu and Shuukyou and Hatsukoi Shoujo to Marunouchi Sadistic, not any of these songs to Hiyori-hime. He was just making the point that SR has written songs in similar styles to previous songs in the past, and that it does not mean that "she has lost her muse" just because Hiyori-hime has some similarities to Blackout. A point I totally agree with by the way.
Old 2009.01.17, 10:52 AM   #117
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I don't find any as much similarities between the songs kuro_neko pointed out as there is between Hyori-hime and Blackout (and Shoujo Robot).
Regardles of that, no one said "she has lost her muse". Are you quoting/paraphrasing that from someone? My only point when stating the evident similarities I found in Hyori-hime, was just to demonstrate (what most people already predicted) that she didn't really made a huge effort writing this song for PUFFY. It can be a good sign, actually, that she want's to save the original materials for herself and not repeat the "mistake" of giving brilliant songs to someone else (see Tomosaka Rie). Alas, we can only confirm that when she actually releases a new song, even tho Senkou Shoujo can be somehow used as proof of this theory, since it's not obviously similar to another track of hers.

EDIT: Damn, writing Shoujo Robot seems like a very hard task for me. I wrote Shoujo Strip instead, but now it's edited.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.01.17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 2009.01.17, 11:44 AM   #118
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

kuro_neko once again fails at making good points =p
Old 2009.01.17, 08:09 PM   #119
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I don't find any as much similarities between the songs kuro_neko pointed out as there is between Hyori-hime and Blackout (and Shoujo Robot).
Regardles of that, no one said "she has lost her muse". Are you quoting/paraphrasing that from someone? My only point when stating the evident similarities I found in Hyori-hime, was just to demonstrate (what most people already predicted) that she didn't really made a huge effort writing this song for PUFFY. It can be a good sign, actually, that she want's to save the original materials for herself and not repeat the "mistake" of giving brilliant songs to someone else (see Tomosaka Rie). Alas, we can only confirm that when she actually releases a new song, even tho Senkou Shoujo can be somehow used as proof of this theory, since it's not obviously similar to another track of hers.

EDIT: Damn, writing Shoujo Robot seems like a very hard task for me. I wrote Shoujo Strip instead, but now it's edited.
because your not looking at the important elements of song-craft. your commenting on the same "fuzzy organ" and "uki-crap guitar" and specific production notes like tones and overall style, any of which could be added or taken out without affecting the composition of the song too much. what I'm talking about is composition, the actual systematic progression of chords that creates the flow of the song and is probably how ringo writes her songs, starting on piano I'd guess....

btw, ringo didn't write senkou shoujo...kameda did....

and jihad your just adding fuel to the fire to be a prick because you troll this board like no one else, I'm POSITIVE you were witness to the TB/Shuukyou and MS/Hatsukoi Shoujo threads so just stop.

edit:

and I'm going to go one further. Upon a few more closer listens I will admit to actually liking this song, it sounds like a good guess at the type of music ringo was probably working on after ADULT and perhaps during Variety and even now, it has some touches that makes it feel like it could belong on Adult (no, not the fuzzy organ, I mean the actual COMPOSITION), but PUFFY totally ruins it for me. I don't get this appeal. Their voice is really not flattered by this composition, I get the appeal in having Ringo pen it, but they really can't pull it off. They have almost no range and no quality to their voice, no personality or feeling or emotion, its like hearing a robot sing karaoke. That is why I like Amagasa. Maybe some people really hate the singer's voice, I'm not a huge fan of his vocals, but at least there is some feeling behind them. There is a unique quality to hsi voice, maybe not always so good, but at least its not boring, nothing is worse than being forgetable and boring.

edit 2:

and if you guys this this song sounds like Blackout you really have to listen to Kachuu no Otoko. It started and I thought I was listening to Hime Hiyori again, seriously, it sounds like the exact same song from start to end!

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.01.17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 2009.01.17, 08:31 PM   #120
Tokyo Jihad

I dont remember any threads on the subject. I vaguely recall talk of the chord progressions being similar, but having the same notes does not a carbon copy make. Its like saying a soda bottle and a ballpoint pen are similar because they're both made with the same things.

There is an ocean of difference between the similarities of Marnouchi/Hatsukoi Shoujo and the similarities of KT/Amagasa.