Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.01.28, 12:58 AM   #4061
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

TV on the Radio - Staring at the Sun

Yay for TVotR gig tomorrow... in 43 degree celsius heat.
Old 2009.01.28, 04:31 AM   #4062
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Barbee Boys - でも!?しょうがない (Demo!? Shouganai)
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.28, 05:47 AM   #4063
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

@Fluffie and Hedo, in my opinion the Beatle with the most solid solo catalog was John. I'm not taking anything away from the others, because they all had great songs, but I think John just had the most consistent output in terms of quality.

It's funny that you mention the screaming at the end of Cold Turkey as that used to make me uneasy, but it is a song about detox following his herion addiction and I've come to view it as essential to the song. Not to equate religion and drugs, but in a similar way I used to feel uneasy about the often preachy lyrics of George Harrison in many of his early 70s songs. I have since come to appreciate those lyrics as an essential part of who he was and have recognized some of those songs as his best and most inspired works ("The Lord Loves The One" and "The Day The World Gets Round" off Living In The Material World come immediately to mind).

As far as the Killers conversation, I've only listened to Day & Age maybe two times, but I think I prefer it to Sam's Town which I did not really like at all. I agree that it doesn't seem close to Hot Fuss though.

Finally, I've got to say that I love how a simple little concept like what you are currently listening to get engender so much conversation.

CLT: Birth of Cool (live) - Pizzicato Five
(still in the Bs)
Old 2009.01.28, 06:20 AM   #4064
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
It's funny that you mention the screaming at the end of Cold Turkey as that used to make me uneasy, but it is a song about detox following his herion addiction and I've come to view it as essential to the song. Not to equate religion and drugs, but in a similar way I used to feel uneasy about the often preachy lyrics of George Harrison in many of his early 70s songs. I have since come to appreciate those lyrics as an essential part of who he was and have recognized some of those songs as his best and most inspired works ("The Lord Loves The One" and "The Day The World Gets Round" off Living In The Material World come immediately to mind).
Yea, I'm more used to it now, actually. I agree that it seems essential to the song and that's why I didn't abstain from the song, it makes it more authentic in a way. I thought it was pretty awesome that he was actually screaming when he performed it live in NY. But at first, it definitely put me off a bit. I think the reason I find I still am uneasy about it has more to do with what other people think, mainly my family members. Although, they all know how crazy Lennon is, I get a little uncomfortable when I'm blasting the song in my room and all of the sudden there is just all this screaming happening. Although, it's not so bad anymore. Kiss Kiss Kiss, on the other hand, is a bit more than questionable.

Currently Listening to:
Bjork - Oceania

Oceania

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.01.28 at 06:23 AM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.28, 06:39 AM   #4065
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I much prefer John's solo work to Paul's too. I agree about the consistency and I don't agree with Fluffie that most people claim to like him only know his greatest hits because most of the rest is "throw-away". "The casual fans just listen to his greatest hits" is such a universal statement, it could apply to anyone.

Plastic Ono Band is my favourite solo Beatles record and after falling in love with it, I pretty much went through and listened to every other solo Lennon album and pretty much loving, or at least liking them all. Sure there are some throwaway songs, but Paul, George... every artist on the planet has some. I do not think for one second that John had more than Paul and I'd never call a Beatle overrated. I think they're all rated exactly how they should be; John and Paul are clearly fantastic singer/songwriters. Some prefer John, some prefer Paul but that preference should not dictate the quality of the other. I think you're overrating Paul and underrating John, but neither are overrated. And obviously someone like Ringo isn't close to being on their level, but I wouldn't call him overrated either because we all know that. Nobody expects Lennon/McCartney quality from a Ringo album, so again he is rated fairly.
Old 2009.01.28, 07:12 AM   #4066
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
I much prefer John's solo work to Paul's too. I agree about the consistency and I don't agree with Fluffie that most people claim to like him only know his greatest hits because most of the rest is "throw-away". "The casual fans just listen to his greatest hits" is such a universal statement, it could apply to anyone.

Plastic Ono Band is my favourite solo Beatles record and after falling in love with it, I pretty much went through and listened to every other solo Lennon album and pretty much loving, or at least liking them all. Sure there are some throwaway songs, but Paul, George... every artist on the planet has some. I do not think for one second that John had more than Paul and I'd never call a Beatle overrated. I think they're all rated exactly how they should be; John and Paul are clearly fantastic singer/songwriters. Some prefer John, some prefer Paul but that preference should not dictate the quality of the other. I think you're overrating Paul and underrating John, but neither are overrated. And obviously someone like Ringo isn't close to being on their level, but I wouldn't call him overrated either because we all know that. Nobody expects Lennon/McCartney quality from a Ringo album, so again he is rated fairly.

I agree that my casual fans statement applies to any artist, but what I really mean is that John has a lot more casual fans now because he's a dead musician. You won't find quite as many people listening to Paul McCartney at random. Admittedly, it might also have something to do with the fact that he has no official best-of compilations for his solo career, but that his career wasn't ended early also contributes greatly. If I say that John is overrated, it's only because he's received so much more attention from the casual music listener. I'm not saying anything about those who have actually gone further and discovered his other music.

And I wouldn't really say that John has more throw-aways than Paul either. Paul certainly has more, which is natural since his post-Beatles career is 28 years longer than John's. I'm not a fan of every song he's written, and I realize that a lot of the ones that I do like require a "Paul fanboy" view of his music, but he really does have a lot of good stuff out there. I've always preferred his pleasant attitude over John's, and the music that they both write is obviously influenced by their attitudes.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.28, 07:22 AM   #4067
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I agree that my casual fans statement applies to any artist, but what I really mean is that John has a lot more casual fans now because he's a dead musician. You won't find quite as many people listening to Paul McCartney at random.

And I wouldn't really say that John has more throw-aways than Paul either. Paul certainly has more, which is natural since his post-Beatles career is 28 years longer than John's. I'm not a fan of every song he's written, and I realize that a lot of the ones that I do like require a "Paul fanboy" view of his music, but he really does have a lot of good stuff out there. I've always preferred his pleasant attitude over John's, and the music that they both write is obviously influenced by their attitudes.
That is true that John probably has more casual fans listening to his solo hits, but I don't think that's a basis to judge his other none-greatest hits solo work. I can see where you're coming from that the casuals may overrate John because they put him on a pedestal without really hearing the bulk of his solo work, but that isn't to say that the music itself is overrated because the people that do dig deeper really enjoy it. Also I think if you dig into John's catalogue you'll find a lot of pleasant, happy stuff there but yeah, it certainly isn't McCartney.

Do we have an official Beatles thread? We really should the amount they get discussed...
Old 2009.01.28, 10:20 AM   #4068
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

^I'm surprised that you guys haven't already created a thread for the Beatles...get on it.

CLT - Neko Case - Buckets of Rain (Dylan cover)

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.28, 11:02 AM   #4069
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

YUKI - Commune (album)

This album is huge. It's in the same vein as PRISMIC, but with a bit more Mean Machine (band) feeling, which makes it awesome.
I wished she kept doing stuff like this, even tho Joy and Wave are enjoyable as well. Songs like Fugainaya or Joy are the cream of the crop of those 2 albums.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.28, 11:31 AM   #4070
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Bat For Lashes - The Bat's Mouth
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote