Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.02.01, 06:44 PM   #981
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Then we are on two different wavelengths. That or maybe because you haven't seen as many bad SNL eps. as I have.
I've watched nearly every ep since the cast overhaul in 95 (and also nearly every prior to that since '88.) It's what I do on a Saturday night. So I've seen some terrible eps. I dunno, what was funny about last night's eps? Issues wasn't. The couple in the bar taking Extasy wasn't very funny. Update was strong though.

The Neil Patrick Harris ep was the best so far this season. Josh Brolin was fantastic, unfortunately the writing that ep was terrible.

As for Steve Martin, he was okay during the Carvey, Hartman, Farley era. During the 70's (when he was practically a cast member) he was I guess good for the time, but I don't find those SNL's very entertaining to begin with. Maybe I'm just not a Steve Martin fan.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.02.01 at 06:48 PM.
Old 2009.02.01, 09:30 PM   #982
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

So, I just finished Mystic River. An excellent film, although I was expecting more a punch for the ending, considering the thing is near two hours or whatever. Ah well.
Old 2009.02.02, 06:58 AM   #983
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I've watched nearly every ep since the cast overhaul in 95 (and also nearly every prior to that since '88.) It's what I do on a Saturday night. So I've seen some terrible eps. I dunno, what was funny about last night's eps? Issues wasn't. The couple in the bar taking Extasy wasn't very funny. Update was strong though.

The Neil Patrick Harris ep was the best so far this season. Josh Brolin was fantastic, unfortunately the writing that ep was terrible.

As for Steve Martin, he was okay during the Carvey, Hartman, Farley era. During the 70's (when he was practically a cast member) he was I guess good for the time, but I don't find those SNL's very entertaining to begin with. Maybe I'm just not a Steve Martin fan.
Yea the extasy bit was terrible, but like you said the update was strong, the gun bit was strong. I liked Steve Martin handling a banjo. That's three decent things within an ep, more than we can expect from most SNL eps. at this point.

FOTC was fantastic yesterday, btw.

Edit- OOO, and one of the best Office openings ever!!!

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2009.02.02, 07:17 AM   #984
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Holy shit at the new Galactica. Possibly the best none-finale/premier episode ever!
Darn, I'm at episode 3 of season 4 at the moment, watching 1-2 episodes a week. I'm watching it in german, and I hope they don't have a break as long as the one in the US in between

But still after Lost my #2 best TV show ever.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.02.02, 06:40 PM   #985
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The Prisoner remains my favorite TV series. AMC is making a miniseries based on it, which will undoubtedly suck, but the nice thing is that the original episodes are now available for viewing at AMC.
Old 2009.02.02, 09:17 PM   #986
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

currently watching: A LOT of Mystery Science Theater 3000
Old 2009.02.03, 01:02 PM   #987
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
The Prisoner remains my favorite TV series. AMC is making a miniseries based on it, which will undoubtedly suck, but the nice thing is that the original episodes are now available for viewing at AMC.
I remember watching that as a kid. I'd love to get a hold of the episodes to watch again to refresh my memory.

I have also been to the strange little "town" in Wales where it was filmed, Portmeirion.
Old 2009.02.06, 10:29 AM   #988
cjhobbies00

OMG...the torrents for Ashes of Time redux AND blu ray versions A Chinese Odyssey are up.

Plus I got VW's album today and the Flac discography of the Beatles.

Best day of the year so far...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
Old 2009.02.07, 11:28 AM   #989
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I have seen 4 of the 5 Oscar Best Pic movies (excluding The Reader which looks uninteresting.) Here's how I rate them:
1. Slumdog Millionaire: I'm a sucker for a happy (maybe even sappy) ending. Out of the movies, this was the one that evoked an actual feeling out of me by the end of it.

2. Frost/Nixon: Full of good, entertaining characters. Strong movie, though doesn't feel like it has much of an impact on the viewer. The climax was in the trailer of the movie =(

3. Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Pretty movie, great concept; goes absolutely nowhere story-wise.

4. Milk: I dunno, I liked this movie, not alot, but I liked Harvey Milk, I liked James Franco and Josh Brolin's characters. Almost uninteresting visually, and story wise too for some long stretches.

Wall-E and Dark Knight shhould have been nominated. I think to be a "best picture of a year" it needs to have some universality, it's not going to be forgotten to all but those who say "oh yeah, that won best picture" and for no other purpose. Wall-e and Dark Knight certainly will and work on more levels than the three latter listed films. Slumdog is the only one that I can see having staying power in people's minds.
Old 2009.02.07, 11:52 AM   #990
cjhobbies00

I think Slumdog is the happiest depressing movie I've ever seen.

You got the order right, but the last two is really a wash. If Wall-E and the Dark knight was in contention those last two won't have a chance.

Closed Thread