Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.29, 09:38 AM   #61
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
honnou was played at EXPO, then before that I think the last time, in a jazzy arrangement, was Just Can't Help It. Before that, Honnou hadn't been played since a medley with Jihen/Soil and Pimp, and before THAT it hadn't been touched since GXstacy.
Phase 1 played it during the Sugoroku tour. It was cut from the DVD along with the full version of Koufukuron, Kabukicho, and Izonshou. All songs that would have made EM even more legendary.

Artists always write their best songs when they're most miserable. Those feelings just convert better to music than happy ones.
Old 2009.07.29, 01:37 PM   #62
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

If you go into any community with disillusioned fans, they'll put it down to the artist being a mature, happier person now, and not the angry teen they once were. Shiina's still a baby compared to some of those other artists, though.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.29, 02:16 PM   #63
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
If you go into any community with disillusioned fans, they'll put it down to the artist being a mature, happier person now, and not the angry teen they once were.
Wait, am I missing something? That's exactly what gets said here every other day.
Old 2009.07.29, 02:27 PM   #64
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

That's my point, Jihad. It happens in other artist communities just as much as this one.
Old 2009.07.29, 03:29 PM   #65
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

cept for ones that don't disappoint their fan base
Old 2009.07.29, 04:53 PM   #66
Scribble R

Old 2009.07.31, 07:04 PM   #67
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I don't think SAPS are miserable, but they still write freakin' amazing songs.
Old 2009.07.31, 08:48 PM   #68
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

if your demographic is angry pissy youth, generally growing up and out-maturing your fans can be a bad thing, if you are said fan in question.

that being said, I don't think that being miserable translates better to music. there is this whole stereotype that to create great art you need to be fucked up/miserable/on drugs, and it simply isn't true. artists can create, and continue to, their best art, while sober, while happy. it happens to be that "miserable music" translates more instantly into superficial in your face "rawk." kind of shallow in the end though.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.31, 09:15 PM   #69
Tokyo Jihad

See I think thats just as "superficial" as what youre claiming and also nouveau-elitist, after all the music your words seem to look down upon are what made you a fan to begin with.

oh, and boo for using "rawk" in vain.
This is just a theory of mine but I do think the best songs come out of strife. So lets say your friend is Ned Flanders, always happy always brighter side. Lets say he wants to tell you how he picked beautiful flowers and gave them to his girlfriend and she really liked them and how happy they both were.

Kinda fuckin obnoxious, right?

Sorta makes you wonder why are they telling me this story? Imagine a movie where everything works out in the beginning, things go great in the middle, and there's a happy ending. BOORING. You're gonna change the channel probably.

No one wants to hear a happy story from a happy person.

Drama is what grabs peoples attention, and I think if there's some conflict in the song literally, in the mood, or even just the subtext of the artist's character I think it comes through. All the best songs come out of some unsettlement, some longing, some pleasing, some want.

I only follow the melody and the music. And in Tsumi to Batsu, there is cearly some conflict there's somnethig dramatic. A song like Ii Karada is dramatic in a "superficial" sense. There's lots of instruments going, but the melody, singing, and feel don't give any real sense of drama.

Paul McCartney after The Beatles tried wroting predominately happy songs (and who can't see why? He's rich bitch. He's a fucking Beatle.) For a long time he had no real conflict in his life, thus his songs, thus the popular opinion on most of his post Beatle work. To quote someone "Wings was his attempt to destroy any credibility he earned in The Beatles." You can't listen and say his musicianship deteriorated, but theres something missing -- its probably the lack of needing anything.
Old 2009.07.31, 10:10 PM   #70
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

There's also the opposite side of the spectrum, where Morrissey who was dubbed as being the writer of "miserable" songs (which are just, to me, darker stories with witty lyrics) and even after he got all the money he'd need he's still writing about how he'll never love and how he's sooo sad. It's just gotten trite now though. :/

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote