Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2016.02.28, 03:53 AM   #51
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I have shitty sound on my computer/less than remarkable earphones, but it's definitely not an end user thing.

I've watched up to Sigma so far. This has to be the best version of the song. And that includes the demo.

About her voice -- I strongly disagree that voice has gotten WORSE over the years. Her singing is just extremely unpredictable. In this show, her singing is generally not up to par. I think she sounded great in Ultra C and in Toutokai. The Harbour concert and this one is not good. In Dynamite Out and Expo 08 she was kind of screechier than normal. It really just depends on the song and the concert.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.28, 08:47 AM   #52
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The MANGARAMA line-up is very... well-balanced? Whatever it is, I can't remember the last time I watched a concert and was completely fine with sitting through the entire setlist. Even in stuff like Toutaikai that crew hit a few speed bumps on less-popular songs, but here they're able to add some much needed flourish to some of the flatter or one-dimensional studio offerings without being overbearing like Neko and the Pimps.

2. やさしい哲学 yasashii tetsugaku
Man, legit forgot this song even existed. Nice arrangement.

5. 労働者 roudousha
The song always felt incomplete... until the horn section attacked.

9. 現実を嗤う genjitsu wo warau
12. とりこし苦労 torikoshi kurou
14. ブラックアウト blackout
15. 迷彩 meisai
18. 警告 keikoku
19. マヤカシ優男 mayakashi yasaotoko
20. 名うての泥棒猫 naute no dorobouneko
21. 真夜中は純潔 mayonaka wa junketsu
22. 御祭騒ぎ omatsuri sawagi
23. 長く短い祭 nagaku nijikai matsuri

Not saying these lives completely ruined their album counterparts for me, but even with the seemingly handicapped sound recording it's still really tempting to rip MP3s of these and netsuai to replace or add back to the playist.

11. 熱愛発覚中 netsuai hakkakuchuu
first half: i guess we about that cosplay lounge idol life now
second half: from the hospital to the red light district

I'd buy a blu-ray of this concert with the true full setlist and some semblance of better audio quality, even if somehow the songs left off were magically mediocre (six songs aren't a complete dealbreaker unless they completely shit on Kyougenshou or something).
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.01, 05:39 PM   #53
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Can't even watch it a second time round...

The sound is just too noticeably muddy. Sigh too, because I know there's some great arrangements tucked in there.

That said... the hands down brilliant new arrangement of Nakata song (I'm gonna call it the "Fukushuu ver.") makes me forget the horrible original. So that's one great thing that's come out of this. All they had to do was remove all Nakata.
I watched this a second time last night. I'm not sure quite what I did settings-wise, but it sounded a lot better this time. Still not great, but better enough that I was really starting to get into some of the tracks I had previously found to be a little bit lackluster. Yasashii Tetsugaku, in particular, was an awesome performance that just somehow didn't come through on the first listen.

This concert is really growing on me. It must have been incredible to see live. I'm SO envious of those who got to see her on tour!

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
About her voice -- I strongly disagree that voice has gotten WORSE over the years. Her singing is just extremely unpredictable. In this show, her singing is generally not up to par. I think she sounded great in Ultra C and in Toutokai. The Harbour concert and this one is not good. In Dynamite Out and Expo 08 she was kind of screechier than normal. It really just depends on the song and the concert.
You're absolutely right about the variability of her voice - it is and always has been a bit unpredictable. Given that she has had, by all accounts, relatively minimal vocal training, I suppose that's to be expected, and I think the argument could even be made that in some ways she's a better singer today than she was in her youth simply by dint of experience. But it seems at least to me that there is a noticeable difference in her current singing versus what she was doing 8 or 10 years ago. Tsumi to Batsu seems like the most obvious example - she just doesn't seem to be able to deliver it with the same kind of raw, bluesy vocals she did back in the day.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2016.03.01 at 05:56 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.02, 04:05 AM   #54
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Has she really only had minimal vocal training? You would think that if someone's job is to sing, they would invest a lot more time in making sure the tool for their job is as perfect as it could be.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.02, 09:42 AM   #55
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Has she really only had minimal vocal training? You would think that if someone's job is to sing, they would invest a lot more time in making sure the tool for their job is as perfect as it could be.
According to the unauthorized biography, she had only 6 months of voice training prior to her debut. No word on whether she kept it up afterward, or for how long. Personally, I can totally see her young self deciding that voice training was just another type of conformity being forced upon her and wanting to be done with it, but that is 100% pure speculation on my part.

Quality and technique aside, the big reason for a professional vocalist like Shiina Ringo to properly train their voice is so that they don't damage it. Again pure speculation on my part, but I think this is what has happened to her. Also the smoking can't have helped.
Old 2016.03.05, 10:37 AM   #56
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Looks like the youtube videos were deleted before I got to them, if anyone finds new links please post here or PM me them...
Old 2016.03.05, 01:31 PM   #57
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

ringohime78 on tumblr has uploaded a few of them. (Bonsai Hada, Keikoku, Netsuai Hakkakuchuu, Genjitsu o Warau, Meisai)
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 03:56 PM   #58
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
ringohime78 on tumblr has uploaded a few of them. (Bonsai Hada, Keikoku, Netsuai Hakkakuchuu, Genjitsu o Warau, Meisai)
Thank you!
Old 2016.03.06, 10:46 PM   #59
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
Thankyou thankyou!

Even though I did see this tour live (not the broadcasted concert) it's been absolutely killing me to read everyone comments about watching it again. There are so many little details missed that I want to see again. I love the new dimension and maturity that the brass instruments bring to the music too. When she played Σ I wondered whether this was a message to any fans unsure about the new band.

At the concert I also thought the sound was a bit flat, but I attributed it to my poor (far away) seat, my own ears, the venue, etc. I didn't know there was a long running issue with the sound until I joined this forum.
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.11, 04:20 PM   #60
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Some videos have popped up on youtube.. They probably won't last long.

長く短い祭り

NIPPON

神様、仏様 ~ メンバー紹介
zee is offline   Reply With Quote