Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.22, 10:33 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default Weirdest/best memories collecting Ringo stuff

So, I've bought a hell of a lot of Ringo stuff over the years. I haven't got a 100% complete set but it's pretty close (at least if we're talking music wise).

I wanna start a feel good thread and ask people about the best memories they've had collecting Ringo's stuff- whether it be finding an absolute rarity, finding an absolute bargain or getting a surprise they weren't expecting.

For example, from my time collecting-

-Finding the Muzai Moratorium vinyl ONE YEAR after it sold out for $US 45 on AMAZON US.
-CDJapan sending multiple copies of Sanmon Gossip (yet only charging for the one).
-Finding the first press of SS in mint sealed condition for less than 500 yen.
-Scoring SS vinyl (again, after it had sold out) for 5000 yen-ish.
-Getting the limited edition of Doku Ichigo for face value
-Getting the Ringo BoOK YEARS after it had been released on sale for 3,000 yen from Kronekodow.

If you don't have any good memories, maybe share some of the times you've been ripped off. I have a few

-When I first started collecting, I paid a hefty amount for a KOREAN version of Variety
- Receiving Daihakken damaged
- Missing out on Sweets for my Spitz LP pressing for 9,500 yen recently pissed me off (that sounds like heaps but its a bargain compared to usual listings)

Anyone else got any good or even bad memories to share?
Old 2014.11.23, 02:30 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm not going to turn this post into a list of every rare thing I ever bought. I've got lots of rare things, but can't clearly remember all the prices or exactly when I bought them (there's far too many to recall), and the deals I got on most items were.. okay. The emails I received from the deputy service at the time of each transaction, only list the auction numbers, and never describe the items. My eBay emails were a much more helpful reference after all this time.

---------------------------------------

2006 tales (start)
The first SR/TJ DVD I ever bought was Electric Mole Limited Edition on New Years, from eBay in sealed condition for around $62 USD (that includes shipping).

Late January, I bought a Taiwan knock-off of Dynamite Out from eBay; which was allegedly "first-press". It only cost me $16, so I can't really complain. I never opened it, and think I still have it somewhere.

Late March, when PE'Z was touring in the US, I got HZM to autograph my copy of Electric Mole, in gold ink.

In June, I got a genuine first-press sealed copy of Dynamite Out from eBay, for $50 (and that includes shipping).
2006 tales (end)

I gradually acquired sealed first-press non-sample copies of Rockin' Luuula (with the slipcases) for less than face value via a deputy service, years after the fact. Then during a half-year stretch when there weren't anymore first-press up for auction in any condition, MO'SOME TONEBENDER toured the US. So I brought a copy to the venue, unsealed it in front of them, and had the whole band autograph it with a red ink pen.

When there was an issue of TIMEasia which featured Shiina Ringo, there were also postcards which have the front cover of that issue on them. There were fierce bidding wars on a couple different auctions for stacks of those, but when the issue itself (which is insanely rare) actually got listed for 1000yen, I won that unopposed.

I once got a batch of every SR/TJ vinyl except SG, all sealed, for 30000yen.

I think my copy of Yuuhatsu Orgasm was only 20000yen. I say that because most of the copies I've seen up for auction have demanded much more.

I got unused posters of Mayonaka wa Junketsu and KSK for cheap (somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500-3000 yen), and they're much better eyecandy than the LPs.

---------------------------------------

I regret paying almost 10000yen for a Muzai Moratorium poster which was already used. It's not really that nice of a poster anyway, even if it were unused. There are other pre-SS posters I would trade this for if I could.

I regret trying to track down all the RATs before the RingoBoX came out. I was only ever able to find a dozen different issues, and I still have lots of duplicates.
Old 2014.11.23, 05:51 AM   #3
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Good memories:

I am glad I am not a hardcore collector or completist, otherwise I would have bought so many things I don't even want (Towa Tei, Tomita Lab, Rekishi, S&PS, Tokyo Collection, Nippon to name a few).

I bought used copy of Adult Video DVD, but seller sent me Adult Video package with a CD of Adult inside, they ended up sending me a brand new copy of Adult Video DVD.

I got early Ringo albums used and dirt cheap.

The Number Girl, HZM, and Rie Tomosaka albums are actually great and worth collecting.

I am happy I don't own any Ringo magazines and books cos that would open pandora's box. I think it's a worthless hobby cos I don't understand much Japanese.

Regrets:

I don't own any Ringo blu-ray cos I don't own a blu-ray player.

All my Jihen albums are Korea versions but I don't feel like replacing them.

I didn't know HF had a special edition.

I bought two Maborosi albums.

I bought Hirama's album for the song about smelling the toilet.

I bought two Kenichi Asai cat albums but don't listen to them much.

Assassin's Assassin's poster looks really bad on the wall cos it was folded, I tore it down after one day, then in the same year they released Ukina which makes the single almost useless.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.11.23 at 10:22 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.23, 06:03 PM   #4
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Magazine hunting at Book-Off!!!
Finding a copy of Ringo Book at Book-Off!
Finding MoRA (DVD) at Book-Off!

Basically just buying all the Ringo stuff at Book-Off!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.24, 10:26 PM   #5
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

I've only been collecting for a little over a year, so:

Buying a used copy of the MM CD off of eBay for $9 USD, then discovering that it was the first press edition complete with Obi, inserts, and an unpeeled Polaroid sticker on the booklet.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.25, 02:13 AM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
The only Japanese auctions I've seen for MM first-press had starting prices of at least 10000yen, for already-opened copies. It's something I've wanted for awhile (since I have most of the other first-press releases), but I haven't been able to justify buying it at the prices I've seen.

$9 for that is more of a steal than any deal I ever got.
Old 2014.11.25, 02:36 AM   #7
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

A steal? I doubt it.

Maybe for people who don't live in Japan. MM sold a million copies, that first press should be easy to find in a used CD store in Japan, if you visit often.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.25, 04:12 PM   #8
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'd like to expand my story a little.
So what I'd do on a weekly basis was go to the 2 Book-Offs in my city, check each one, see what Shiina stuff they had. If there was an issue of Rock On Japan where hse wass on the cover, I'd buy it instantly. If she was on the spine (meaning she had a multi-page feature within) I'd probably buy it. Magainzes were about 200 yen each.
Regular CDs I didn't buy. But I did buy MoRA DVD and HF DVD because I figured those are special LIMITED EDITION.

There are a couple of things I missed out on that bummed me out.
Ringo Expo was on sale for 900 yen, and I missed that.
I also found that Tokyo Jihen Hard Disc collection. But it cost 12000 yen and it was HUGE and my suitcase was already bulging. It was the 2nd to last day I was in Japan too...

For Ringo Book, I saw it my first month there, and it was 9000 yen. I kept on thinking "No, I won't get it, I don't need it". I went to the concert and it was 8000 yen there. "No I don't need it..."...
But every week I'd stare at it on the Book-Off shelf...
Finally my last month there it was discounted to 8000 and I had a 200 yen of coupon so I did it! I bought it!

Those stories aren't as exciting as I thought.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.25, 07:51 PM   #9
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

^When I preordered Toutaikai from Amazon Japan, the Hard Disk set was a shade over 14000 yen shipped. Unfortunately I don't see it at any of the usual places that offer international shipping for less than 20000 yen right now.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.25, 07:55 PM   #10
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

On Y!A I'm on average seeing Hard Disk for around 7-8K sealed nowadays.

It's pretty worthless if you already had all the albums I suppose. It doesn't even look that nice when holding it tbh. (Though, it's not ugly either).

Pity they never did MoRA-fy their collection, both in audio quality and in aesthetics.

That said, I still don't write it off as a potential cash in release further down the line. I hope they include the full versions of the CM versions of Sora ga Natteiru (you know, that version with no drums or whatever)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.25 at 08:00 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote