Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.12.28, 02:11 PM   #21
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

@so_cold: Ditto on Teedra Moses'. Luxurious Underground mixtape is full of proper unadulterated R&B tunes... reminds me of the days when R&B was good and a lot of mainstream appeal (think early Destiny's Child).

My fav track is prolly - To hell with it (this song is sooo good... so sweet yet so vengeful).
Tell me who's making love to your own lady, while you were out making love...

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
What about the rhythmically slack, vocally incompetent, melodically challenged indie wank that appears on some other lists here?
THANK YOUUUUU.
Old 2011.12.28, 02:35 PM   #22
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

@JR: Oh, early Destiny's Child were one of chart pop's high points historically speaking...! 90s pop-R&B was always the best.

I just remembered Teedra Moses collaborated with Raphael Saadiq as well (I think Shiina Ringo rather likes him...) but maybe I don't know enough to say if she reminds me of anybody.

@Jihad: I think like a lot of "difficult" music if it can be called that (and KZK - SS on the other hand was super-instant for me), The Magic Place clicks if you just leave it on while doing something else and then something about it really grabs you, there's a shuffly bassline you find you like (Prizewinning) or something that sounds pretty in the context of everything that's gone before (Flown). If you actively listen to it on first try it can be a bit annoying and repetitious, waiting for her musical ideas to take minutes to fade in and out. Spotify plays the first track of her Flourine EP afterwards which kind of just seals the deal (Sunlight, Heaven). Julianna Barwick also reminds me a little of a Scottish ambient band called One Dove, or particularly the second half of their only album.

There are a lot of "honorable mentions" around at the moment. Maybe not many nailed on favourites but a lot that you gain from giving it a try which is great. I think Oneohtrix will be like that for me, although I immediately checked my phone for song titles: Andro, Nassau and Child Soldier because they sounded really good. It's a quality album, his last had a buzz around it too.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.12.29 at 02:12 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.28, 07:51 PM   #23
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I didn't do a list yet but if I had one Charlotte Gainsbourg's Stage Whisper would go straight to the top of the list. I've been a big fan of her as an actress for a while but only recently have I begun to listen to her music. If you like Air or Beck definitely check out 5:55 (Air) and IRM (Beck)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.28, 08:10 PM   #24
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post

You really are an obnoxious prick aren't you.
Just trying to fit the part

But lol, seriously, I just read that and realised how badly worded it was. I meant more along the lines of your taste in music now has no trace of anything that would possibly make me think you liked Ringo. And I wasn't saying your taste was bad either, though yeah, the way I wrote it sounded smarmy as fuck, partly cause I was thinking and typing at same time and was also very tired, so I apologise for any upset I may have caused.
Old 2011.12.28, 11:44 PM   #25
so_cold

SR is not a hidden away thing to find out about in Japan like it is for most of us. Whether some people would think of her as being too poppy I don't know, but you'd know and potentially like her old singles purely by existing and she's got that appeal to general music fans. While also being very quirky and using unusual kanji etc.

Lots of people like Gorillaz, what do they all listen to? (Not that she's like Gorillaz musically). You can't say in all cases.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.12.29 at 02:08 AM.
Old 2011.12.29, 07:45 AM   #26
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I'd say Bjork is probably the most accurate representation for Ringo. She is both loved and hated by countrymen for her bizarre fetishes but almost entirely applauded as an artist (because what eccentricities they can't understand they deem high art) and her musical style ranges from all genres and styles of music (bjork even worked with timbaland).

but no, I have to agree deadgrandma here so_cold, whenever I see what music you listen to or what you are currently interested in it usually leaves me surprised you'd care two cents about Ringo in any era of her existence.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.29, 12:45 PM   #27
so_cold

Hmm... Along with the fetishes, Shiina Ringo is like Bjork because she's almost entirely applauded as an artist (because what eccentricities they can't understand they deem high art) and her musical style ranges from all genres and styles of music (bjork even worked with timbaland).

Ergo, it's not really a shock that practically anyone might like Shiina Ringo or Bjork, particularly if they like fetishes.

I think it's mainly because her tunes are good, but what can you do. It would be boring if we all went off looking for the same music or didn't post for fear of not fitting in, that's why threads like this are so worthwhile. I'd rather someone else posted their list now. I met an old-school Ringo fan from Japan once, she was really nice, we talked about Cocco.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.12.29 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2011.12.30, 08:57 AM   #28
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I'd rather someone else posted their list now. I met an old-school Ringo fan from Japan once, she was really nice, we talked about Cocco.
Knowing you like Cocco and Lush, I'd never guess you could like SR.

I'd love to make a list with some neat descriptions/mini reviews and all that jazz. However, I don't think it would work out all that well because I've only listened to 6-7 new albums this year. Most of the albums I thought were great (Let England Shake, The Big Roar, Strange Mercy) have been touched upon already. However, there is one album I loved that seems to be getting overlooked everywhere:

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong

Pains - Belong

Heaven's Gonna Happen Now

An album that features a mix of 80s and 90s feel with a more modern sonic signature. It feels genuine and shows progress from the band's previous album (though I'd argue that doesn't mean it's better). It's not the greatest album ever or anything, but it does deserve some recognition this year.
Old 2011.12.30, 04:34 PM   #29
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Sounds a bit like the better parts of Pablo Honey (it's not a bad thing from my perspective- I prefer PH to In Rainbows anyday). I will check it out.
Old 2012.01.05, 07:19 AM   #30
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

One of my favourite tunes of 2011 is by Robin Hannibal

Amends

I don't know how it manages to sound beachy and wintry at the same time...
Conflicting sounds that just come together to be larger than the sum of its parts. Really looking forward to anything new that he puts his name on.