Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.06, 06:30 AM   #21
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Its fun to see how presuming talking of death brings out all the Nirvana talk. Not surprising, but fun.

And as for a box of unreleased Shiina stuff, I actually kinda doubt theres a whole lot out there we haven't heard. Considering how often Shiina releases stuff, it seems to me not much time to really demo and experiment if its not "for the gold" (that is, directly leading to album release.) I'd love to see something like that tho, and despite what I said, I'm sure KZK demos exist, and I'd die to hear em.
Old 2007.05.06, 07:08 AM   #22
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

when I read the posts here I was listening to Mo'some tonebender's "trigger happy (in the morning)"... that's a really romantic combination somehow... such a melancholic and bittersweet song..

well... for me it'd be one of the worst things possible (not even close as terrible as people I know and love dying, but still..)
My life is very connected to music and I feel like having found a "music-soulmate" with Shiina... I've never found an artist, of whom I loved every single song and always felt like I was able to feel like Shiina felt when composing that song.
all of this is very precious to me and if I'd lose it... I think, it might force me to the desire to do music for a living and continue where Ringo-hime stopped.

This is all for the case she died in these times... dunno how I'll feel in a couple of years - maybe I won't feel as connected to her music as now
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 09:19 AM   #23
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

What I find distasteful and disturbing about this topic is the kind of abstracted disconnect that a cult of personality envelopes around our cultural icons. I find it odd that some of us here, the recipients of an already substantial and rewarding body of work, that many of us have developed a very strong personal connection to, (I know I have), still have a somewhat two-dimensional emotional relationship to the work as a "product", an object of consumption, that is about as "real" as a new game or movie.

I would think fans of Shiina would be above a lot of this. "Wouldn't it be cool if she died so we could get some rarities?" What the fuck is that about?

I, for one, can only wish that somebody who has given me so much will live a long and happy life. If she were to retire after this year, so be it. We already have enough.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 09:45 AM   #24
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
I would think fans of Shiina would be above a lot of this. "Wouldn't it be cool if she died so we could get some rarities?" What the fuck is that about?

I, for one, can only wish that somebody who has given me so much will live a long and happy life. If she were to retire after this year, so be it. We already have enough.
I'd rather she live on and make the music she wants to make even if I don't always like that music. The problem I have is with a dead mystery. There's so much about Ringo that we still don't know. It's fairly natural for more sides of a person to be revealed after they've died, whether they were an artist or not. You form a relationship with someone (or their music) and over the years you keep getting to know them, and to be able to continue that journey (in a way) is a coping mechanism. I wouldn't want her to die for the sake OF rares being released, but they would certainly take the sting off (or make you even more sad - depending upon your mental state).
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 01:55 PM   #25
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Someone give me a shot of SR's right palm and I'll tell you if she's got a long life.
Old 2007.05.06, 02:54 PM   #26
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

If we all died in the same plane crash as Ringo, it would make the papers, but our names would be in very small print.

Anyway, this forum wouldn't exist without her, so it's natural to wonder what would happen if she stopped existing. Kind of a Freudian thing going on.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 03:20 PM   #27
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

This would become a more generalized board (I'd hope)
Old 2007.05.06, 04:03 PM   #28
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

What an asinine discussion. Thank you, natsume, for having some sense.
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 04:43 PM   #29
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think you guys are taking this way too seriously.
Old 2007.05.06, 04:54 PM   #30
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The silver lining of this topic is...

People often don't realize the true value of what they have, until they lose it. And I'm not just speaking materially. I'm also talking about relationships and opportunities. I think every human being should take at least one day out of their year to think about what it would be like to lose the things they cherish most. It's unpleasant, but it puts your priorities into perspective, and knowing yourself is more important than knowing Shiina Ringo's music. Most of us here may already have a solid understanding of how much we appreciate Shiina Ringo, but not everyone does.

I think the sadder you'd be at losing something, the more overjoyed you should feel to have it. We have an imbalance of this, in many scenarios. For example, I think Princess Diana was under-appreciated while she was still alive.

I think the misleading title of this thread was justified, even if I don't think it's funny. It's not meant to be a joke, but it does force you to REALLY think about it. Many people are too weak to face their own dark sides by choice. They might briefly imagine this scenario consciously, but not subconciously, and that can make all the difference. For many individuals with underdeveloped imaginations (a common problem in today's on-demand-entertainment society), there is a huge difference between pretending the death of a loved one, versus really believing that a loved one has died.

There's nothing sick about this thread concept.
We are each our own worst enemies.
Confront yourself before you confront anyone else. The easy thing to do and the right thing, are rarely ever the same thing.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote