Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.17, 07:06 PM   #41
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I mean, I get where DG is coming from regarding lyrics. I'm never one to race out and start reading lyrics. In fact, I almost never do because I connect more with the song itself; the vocal melodies and emotion behind them, the rhythm and everything else going on vs any lyrics, but I won't disregard that Shiina and other Japanese artists I listen to don't have something to say, whether it be personal, social or otherwise. I guess, when it comes to Japanese artists, I don't have time to translate lyrics myself, so if it isn't already translated I'm never going to know and there's a chance when I do find out I could be disappointed, like DG fears of reading his favorite artists lyrics.

Turtle, you obviously have a lot more time to do this sort of thing as you're in Japan and studying Japanese seriously (last I knew). Me, it's an on and off hobby depending on my time.

I remember reading the translated lyrics to a lot of School Food Punishment songs and being very surprised at how deep and, frankly, profound a lot of her lyrics were. I never expected it based on the music, so it did add some depth to it for me. Still, I can't currently understand all of the Japanese, so even if I do understand the overall theme of a song, I can't feel that as I'm listening to it being sung besides the emotion behind the words.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 07:57 PM   #42
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Again, beyond just the meaning of the lyrics, I think lyrics are just super important because they contribute to the way the song sounds. Case in point Umbrella-ella-ella
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 08:00 PM   #43
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Not when it's a Sunn O))) track
Old 2014.11.17, 08:46 PM   #44
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Listen Shazam, if you must to know, I think Ringo's lyrics on JL005便で and 孤独のあかつき are pretty decent but I do not feel touched. Basically I do not find it as moving as Robert Frost or as fun as Chaucer or as strange yet beautiful like John Donne. Not really worth analyzing.

Of course, her English isn't very good...
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.17, 09:29 PM   #45
anonlurker

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
This is a forum for fans of SR to talk about her and her work. Social and artistic analysis should be welcomed, but it rarely is posted or welcomed. I feel alienated from EMF because of how often SR is sexualized, when I'm a homosexual man who views her as a personal inspiration and artistic muse.

You can't own her and protect her just because you don't find her sexually attractive. I've personally been quite inspired by her in the past and will admit that she has indeed been a muse for many of my own artistic endeavours and creative activity (nothing 'wrong' no fan fiction!).

She's a woman and she's more than happy to present herself in a sexy/seductive manner through numerous photoshoots. Even her latest albums promo pics where one has her on her back with her legs up! You can't separate that away from her music if that's how she herself is presenting it. Our reaction is normal.

Tell her to cover up, because it's her own behaviour that's the source of your alienation.

She did this, not us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_nem7qlQLBk1qejg2ho2_1280.jpg (274.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg tumblr_nem7qlQLBk1qejg2ho1_1280.jpg (280.3 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by anonlurker : 2014.11.17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 2014.11.17, 11:55 PM   #46
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I love it when she wails TSUTAYA and STARBUCKS and SHAZAM and shit like that.

EDIT

I will also add that I am generally not very moved by her English lyrics because they are almost always an attempt to say something that would have been fairly poetic in Japanese but sound just mawkish in English.

Case in point: to say 幼い or 若すぎる sounds perfectly acceptable in Japanese, but when she goes "we were young, too young" -- the notes and delivery are great but I cringe a bit because I cannot imagine a native English speaker enunciating those words in that manner, that melody. (so yes, there actually are some things about SUNNY that I didn't love as much)

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2014.11.17 at 11:58 PM.
Old 2014.11.18, 03:25 AM   #47
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Re the Ringlish:

I do like it, the spy stuff is cool. But I also dont know if the lyrics are what was her intention was either. We don't know how much is and isn't what she wrote originally, or who Robbie Clarke is.

If the song title translations are to go on, I expect the song lyrics are just as far out.
Old 2014.11.18, 09:18 AM   #48
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

ITT: Salt over a general listener who sides with general consensus.
Old 2014.11.18, 09:27 AM   #49
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
ITT: Salt over a general listener who sides with general consensus.
ITT: Salt over a general listener who writes an x-word essay in 2014 siding with general consensus.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.18, 04:46 PM   #50
gekokujyo

It's hard to explain it, and maybe a large part of it is just me reading too much into it, but I often read her English lyrics and can think of how (more) natural they would sound if they were translated literally to japanese. The only exception to this (off the top of my head) is Kaban no nakami -- that one sounds right at home in English.