Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.11.14, 08:44 PM   #11
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Too much of the music I've bought lately, is too rare for me to have any choice other than #1. Well, I suppose as MBF expressed, sometimes #4 is an alternative for the out-of-print material, and I think that's a great concept for companies, but I don't like the way they implement it most of the time.

I used to boycott #4, until companies like Onkyo started selling music that was not only in lossless, but also in much greater filesizes and detail than CDs, though in e-Onkyo's case I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't already have a means to break their particular flavor of DRM. To me, buying lossy compressed music with DRM (especially the unbreakable kind), is like being raped in the ass and the mouth simultaneously.

Ultimately, I like to have possession of the actual CDs, not only to support the artist, or for the packaging, but because even when a small handful of artists sell lossless CD quality copies online (or when pirated copies are actually available in lossless), they didn't take all the thoughtful steps I would've taken if I had done the rip myself, and so I have a lot more flexibility for what I can do with my own rips after the fact.

I have a 750GB portable hard drive I put together, and at least 275GB of that is CDs or music DVDs I own, and all these rips are located in subfolders so well-organized that I wouldn't dream of using the "library" function that many music players have. Anything in my digitally-hoarded collection can be used to burn copies that not only have the same quality of the original discs, but also the same behavior (anytime I burn Dark Side of the Moon it doesn't have 2 seconds of silence inserted between each track - and any DVDs I burn include all the menus and bonus features). You aren't given that flexibility with most downloads, especially not officially-sold ones.

Then I have maybe 30GB of lossy downloads, and 120GB worth of lossless downloads. I would say it's definitely true that the more I've pirated, the more I've bought, though often after I've discovered a particular artist, I mostly make leaps of faith with them afterward. Downloads are especially handy with Japanese artists where we (the Gaijin) wouldn't have any other way to preview the material. Yeah, a few websites have sample clips, but those don't do an artist justice.

I'm also somewhat guilty of #3, but that's more for torrent ratio motivations than anything else. #1 and #2 are neck-and-neck at the foreground of my music-listening life.
Old 2007.11.18, 01:03 PM   #12
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post

Ultimately, I like to have possession of the actual CDs, not only to support the artist, or for the packaging, but because even when a small handful of artists sell lossless CD quality copies online (or when pirated copies are actually available in lossless), they didn't take all the thoughtful steps I would've taken if I had done the rip myself, and so I have a lot more flexibility for what I can do with my own rips after the fact.
That's really how I feel too and that's why I've stopped using eMusic. I'll buy tracks that I like online, but when I see the cd at the store I can't resist picking it up. A CD just feels right.
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.23, 10:35 AM   #13
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

If it's an artist that is one of my absolute favorites, #1. Because even if I don't like the music (though I usually do, at least most/some of the songs) I need to have the insert booklet to confirm the lyrics, etc.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.23, 11:51 AM   #14
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

^ nice . This reminded me to mention, that it is also very rare for me to really dislike one of my top artists music, not because I just blindly love them, but because usually they just have a sort of sound that I enjoy hearing which makes their music enjoyable to me even if I did not think it is anything close to their best. I TJ is a perfect example of this. I've gotten over my Variety "high" and have gotten to the point where I'm not fiending for it anymore, just as I thought would happen. I knew that it was not the best album they made, but it has a sound that I really like from the band, mainly the piano and guitar's unique sounds, and so it is still very enjoyable to me. I think an artist I like would have to do something really off-track for me to dislike them if I really like them to begin with for this reason. I've obviously had some albums that I rarely touch from a favorite artist, but it has never been the case where if it came on during random play that I would automatically skip it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote