Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2007.07.31, 10:48 PM   #11
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I read something about the whole Japan connection, he was in Japan with his son and say some Godzilla toys and that kind of inspired him, whiiiich, in my opinion, is utter shit.

If you want "your own monster" they why not make it uniquely yours and not "inspired" (cough cough stolen) from another source? I love how people think they can just take from cultures and countries and that makes it "inspired" and not stolen, which it usually is.

However, this entire trailer intrigues me. But the Japan connection pisses me off. Nowadays its like anything that is kind of weird or out there is connected to Japan. You have it in horror movies, thrillers, technological movies, its just silly how they always pinpoint Japan as this country that is so familar but yet strangely mysterious and exotic....;;shakes head;;

if he had any balls what he really would have done is create a monster UNIQUELY American. Look into uniquely American history and culture and develop a monster from it, much the same way Mary Shelly created Frankenstein etc etc.

Oh, I almost forgot this site:

Slusho

which is pretty much the only actual confirmed site part of the viral marketing scheme. Its kind of interesting...however, the English bothers me. Why would a Japanese website be almost entirely in English with the few exceptions of a couple buttons? It just doesn't make sense....and if the entire website is going to be in English, it will be in English and not half assed weird English which is on there, which I think is rather insulting and a bit offensive.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.01, 04:57 AM   #12
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

You are reading far to into this. You think it's offensive that an American movie, made by an American team have an American ARG site... in English.

Why would a Japanese website be almost entirely in English with the few exceptions of a couple buttons? It just doesn't make sense...
Yes it does. It's aimed at an English audience. Despite the fact that they're trying to make it look authentic, with Japanese text and broken English, this site was created for English speaking people to scour for clues. It would be a boring game if every time somebody wanted to look at a clue they had to get a Japanese/English speaking person to translate it all.

I don't see your logic in this movie being 'stolen' from Godzilla. The fact that Abram's son picked up a Godzilla toy which inspired Abrams to create a new, fresh, American monster movie is one of inspiration, not plagiarism. There are hundred of monster movies, and I'm sure every single one of them were inspired in some way by the likes of Godzilla and Kong. Speaking of Kong, that was another influence Abrams brought up as an American franchise, but it was too cutesy and he wanted to make a bad, destructive monster.

If you want "your own monster" they why not make it uniquely yours and not "inspired" (cough cough stolen) from another source?
He has made a new monster that is uniquely his. You have not seen the monster, you don't know what it looks like or where it came from so I don't even know why you'd make such a claim. Unless this monster turns out to be a giant American lizard created from radiation, which is unlikely. Especially considering numerous sources have claimed it's an Alien. But then I guess that would be inspired (cough cough stolen) from War of the Worlds.
Old 2007.08.01, 08:44 PM   #13
kuro_neko

I'm not horribly offended, don't get me, I just thing the entire thing is stupid. It doesn't make a lot of sense, and I get your point about making the site in English for the English audience to discern clues from, but I still find the broken English going a little far, being borderline insulting. There are thousands of people in Japan who are fluent in English and if if someone is going to create a website, I don't see why it couldn't have perfect English, I've seen my share of Japanese websites with flawless English sections.

And my point about the monster being entirely original and inspired and all that crap is simply that, it isn't going to be original, its going to probably be inspired by an amalgam of previous monsters, but I still think its lame how they are using Japan.

And I never made a claim, on the contrary, you did. I said IF you wanted to make a truly original monster...

I just think half the stuff that is coming out of hollywood these days is crap and this is no exception, but thats just me.
Old 2007.08.02, 06:06 AM   #14
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
And my point about the monster being entirely original and inspired and all that crap is simply that, it isn't going to be original, its going to probably be inspired by an amalgam of previous monsters, but I still think its lame how they are using Japan.

I just think half the stuff that is coming out of hollywood these days is crap and this is no exception, but thats just me.
In that case I don't see how it's possible to ever create a truly unique monster. Whatever attributes you gave it, it's going to be comparable to something else. I don't think that's necessarily stealing, it's just the monster movie genre is so oversaturated that it's hard not to be influenced by other movies. Still, the genre is pretty dormant and I think the likes of this and The Host will help bring it back to life. I certainly don't expect this to be Hollywood trash like the last Hollywood Godzilla movie (Sooo bad). I think it has enough of a talented team behind it, and enough 'gimmicks' to make it feel fresh that it could work well!

As for using Japan, I don't think they will. The only link it will have with Japan is that Rob, the main guy was planning on moving to Japan. Hence why they served sushi at his party and one of the guys was wearing a 'Slusho' T-Shirt which happens to be the codename of the movie and a company Abrams has used in Alias and Lost too.
Old 2007.08.06, 09:21 AM   #15
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I just checked this thread for the first time today.
i had no idea what this cloverfield was.
I'm a huge fan of LOST
and I'm excited. I checked out the trailer on youtube...
now, onto those sites!!
HERE! HERE!
Old 2007.08.06, 09:43 AM   #16
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
In that case I don't see how it's possible to ever create a truly unique monster. Whatever attributes you gave it, it's going to be comparable to something else. I don't think that's necessarily stealing, it's just the monster movie genre is so oversaturated that it's hard not to be influenced by other movies. Still, the genre is pretty dormant and I think the likes of this and The Host will help bring it back to life. I certainly don't expect this to be Hollywood trash like the last Hollywood Godzilla movie (Sooo bad). I think it has enough of a talented team behind it, and enough 'gimmicks' to make it feel fresh that it could work well!

As for using Japan, I don't think they will. The only link it will have with Japan is that Rob, the main guy was planning on moving to Japan. Hence why they served sushi at his party and one of the guys was wearing a 'Slusho' T-Shirt which happens to be the codename of the movie and a company Abrams has used in Alias and Lost too.
slusho is uniquely tied to this movie and I have seen leaked images from the production that got pulled the day they leaked to a certain blog....I won't go into what I saw and how it would prove this connection though as that would be spoilers etc, and at this is still speculation anyways...however, that site was registered recently and many inside sources say that is directly related to THIS movie, despite the tie-ins in other franchises.
Old 2007.08.06, 09:55 AM   #17
Inaudible-Whisper

I know that Slusho is tied to the movie. Hence why I said

One of the guys was wearing a 'Slusho' T-Shirt which happens to be the codename of the movie and a company Abrams has used in Alias and Lost too.
I've seen a ton of production videos and pictures. They're not rare, they're all over 1-18-08news.com. The movies is codenamed Slusho, and Slusho will be a company in the movie, but that is irrelevant. Your original point was "but I still think its lame how they are using Japan." Using Japan as what? Because there's a Japanese company in it? The movie is set in America, the Monster is likely an Alien that resides in the ocean just off-shore New York. What is lame about using a Japanese Slush company in the movie, and in what way are they 'using' Japan?
Old 2007.08.19, 06:20 PM   #18
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

from my understanding, those ethan haas links are completely unrelated. i was reading thru the responses to the blog and it's about a RPG....good advertisement, apparently.
Old 2007.11.19, 09:52 AM   #19
Inaudible-Whisper

Officially titled 'Cloverfield'. New Trailer.
Old 2007.11.19, 10:51 AM   #20
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

yeah, just saw it today. Not I'm really looking forward to it.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote