Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.06.10, 07:09 PM   #111
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I think that it sounds like a Jihen song is irrelevant. They disbanded for a reason - maybe they no longer felt creative together as a whole. At any rate, TJ disbanding is for the best. A little curious: Kameda used to be a strong force in all her music, right? He hasn't been apart of any of her solo work for a long time as far as I know.
Shiina's making 4 appearances on Kameda's radio show on J-Wave this week. I haven't listened, but I read a couple of quotes. She said that it's awkward that she hasn't worked with him in so long, so I wouldn't be surprised if they collaborated again soon.

She also performed NIPPON on Music Japan over the weekend, if anyone wants to track it down for themselves. Similar to the PV, but in color with cheerleaders, people in the stands making patterns, and Saito Neko orchestrating.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.10, 07:39 PM   #112
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ This I have to see, is it on Youtube?

ANYWAY: my NOPPIN review, you may actually be as surprised as I am:

So when Ringo announced that she was going to be doing the theme for the NHK Brazil World Cup 2014, I wasn't too fussed. I don't really have much more than a passing interest in soccer (or football, if you will) but DAYUMM... THAT picture.

A couple of weeks later, NHK premiered the song with a mashup of soccer footage. For me (and a lot of others) the song was totally inoffensive, wishy-washy and didn't hit any particular note with me whatsoever. A big throwaway. I hoped the bside would be somewhat better (and it turned out it was, at least to my ears).

I couldn't really get too upset though- I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, and was excited and prepped for Reimportation anyway. We also had the WOWOW show to look forward to, so NOPPIN was promptly forgotten and put on the backburner for quite a while.

Reimportation landed, was quite the interesting, colourful and varied listen and overall satisfying. (I feel it is still in its infancy and I feel it is not ready to be properly reviewed even yet). The supporting shows were totally amazing and some consider the best since Electric Mole.

June came along and all that was left (of the year before her arena tour and rumored 5th album) was the NOPPIN single. Time to give it some real focus. I still had no interest in the single except for the bside.

Then the PV dropped. And what a PV. Everything fell into place. It saved the song. I know we shouldn't talk about shallow things like PVs when it comes to music, but for a song with such a shallow purpose, I think focusing on the video is entirely warranted. Ringo continues the trend she started with her 15th anniversary -that of being truly confident, comfortable and WOMAN- and it pays off like never before. She is LOVING it. And it resonates through to the listener/viewer.

Now I'm really starting to dig the song. I know it's not a deep cut, but it's tight and energetic. I feel good listening to it. It makes me realise that her Phase 2 experience's influence is not entirely a bad thing... and that it will never, ever truly disappear. I can either get used to it, or enjoy it for what it is. And it really is enjoyable, I look forward to seeing what comes next.

This is a good year to be a Shiina Ringo Fan.

7/10
Old 2014.06.10, 08:36 PM   #113
mrnarse

^ I couldn't find the Music Japan performance on Youtube, but it can be found in the usual places.
Old 2014.06.10, 08:54 PM   #114
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

EDIT: Found it

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.06.10 at 09:02 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.10, 09:36 PM   #115
mrnarse

^ That's the one.

Someone on twitter transcribed the Kameda-Shiina interview from earlier today where they discuss the process of making NIPPON. Good read if you can understand the Japanese:

http://twitter.com/spaandtreatment/s...78983660630016
Old 2014.06.11, 05:25 AM   #116
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

The PV is so gorgeous. The lighting direction is incredible!
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.11, 06:11 AM   #117
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Wow. The b-side off the single is fantastic! I also really need to see that live performance of Nippon.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.11, 07:01 AM   #118
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Wow. The b-side off the single is fantastic! I also really need to see that live performance of Nippon.
She mimes for about 3/4 of it, so you'll have to wait for the arena tour!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.11, 10:10 AM   #119
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by mrnarse View Post
^ That's the one.

Someone on twitter transcribed the Kameda-Shiina interview from earlier today where they discuss the process of making NIPPON. Good read if you can understand the Japanese:

http://twitter.com/spaandtreatment/s...78983660630016
That is a nice little interview. She talks about being worried that people would criticize NHK's choice of her for the song, because her "image" may not suit the occasion. But she says their "Jihen" image did have some relation (Sports, etc.). I guess that follows that some others have said, that NHK wanted a "Jihen" like song.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.11, 01:14 PM   #120
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Thanks, BlueApple, mrnarse, and Nimh. It's always best to hear something straight from the horse's mouth after so much speculating. What I'm curious to know is what SR considers to be her image. NIPPON is consistent with her 'guitaa' image, but inconsistent with her KZK image or SG image which may not be consistent with her MM/SS image according to sales.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote