Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.06.13, 03:02 AM   #21
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I love Kubrick and Lynch. I saw 2001 during its 25th anniversary re-rerelease at both The Uptown in DC (home of the official first viewing) and at a 70mm literally underground cinema in Manhattan that is gone now. Have seen it on the big screen nearly 30 times.

Kubrick's pacing was always deliberate. Things took time because they required it. 2001 was in some ways about ineffable transcendence, a profound concept that could be only expressed visually. Barry Lyndon's languorous speed appropriately approximated the pace of life of it's protagonist's existence. And it was so beautiful. The landscape long shots. The costume design. The ultra-fast Zeiss satellite lenses, with no depth of field, that recorded the candle-lit scenes...

Stanley is gone, but I leave a viewing of a David Lynch film in an altered state of consciousness; in an unfamiliar but wonderful zone. A rare blessing.

Kubrick loved watching Eraserhead. No surprise.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.06.13 at 03:40 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.18, 11:21 AM   #22
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I love sitting down with a bucket of popcorn and watching mindless, utter destruction in a summer movie. Roland Emmerich rarely fails at entertaining, but even this is surprisingly and hilariously OTT destruction. LOL. Watch in HD if you can.

I bet they survive still

I hope none of it is explained at all.
Old 2009.06.18, 03:28 PM   #23
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

John Cusack's looking ooooold. Amanda Peet and Danny Glover are in it too? Forgotten actors wasteland. But then these movies are never about the characters and certainly not about the acting.

The whole world exploding-Independence Day/Volcano/Deep Impact/Day After Tomorrow fare is always fun. But I wonder if there's still a market for it. Especially enough to make up the 200 million budget. x.x

Anyway, I'll watch it sometime. It looks visually awesome enough. Even if it doesn't make sense at all.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.24, 07:33 PM   #24
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Inglourious Basterds theatrical trailer.

Based on this interview it doesn't look like much will be cut. If anything, he might be adding some stuff. Hopefully he'll find a nicer balance between the action and dialogue though. Well, I say "hopefully" but I don't really care. I like his dialogue... even the extended cut of Death Proof.
Old 2009.07.13, 03:51 AM   #25
Inaudible-Whisper

I've always been interested in District 9, as shown in the first post of this thread, but the theatrical trailer has made it one of my most anticipated movies of the year. Watch it!
Old 2009.07.16, 08:48 AM   #26
nappyhead

nappyhead pleased at least somebody

Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo trailer
God I'm hoping that 5 dollar movie theatre down the street will play it. *prays*
Old 2009.08.18, 07:17 AM   #27
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

I must thank this thread for alerting me to District 9. I was quite excited by the mockumentary style trailer, and its unusual take on the alien/first contact premise. I eagerly waited for its release, and finally was able to watch it on Sunday.

Overall, I really like the movie, but here are some nitpicking:
(1) it became slightly more conventional towards the end
(2) the social implications of the interaction between humans and the aliens could have been explored in greater depth.

What do other EMFers think?
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.20, 06:38 AM   #28
Inaudible-Whisper

Gotta admit, the Na'vi look way more cartoony/pixar-like than I expected. The aliens in District 9 look better in my opinion, with 10% of the budget. I think it ultimately comes down to their design though rather than the CG. The locations and the world look beautiful though.
Old 2009.08.20, 08:15 AM   #29
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

really? No way, the last shot of the Navi's embracing blows everything from District 9 out of the water. The Prawns in District 9 look good because they fit into the real world very well, the design, color, style. The fact that Cameron can establish such a fantasy world, almost entirely CG, which such crazy cartoon designed characters and have them look lifelike is AMAZING. I will have to check this out in HG later. This movie looks like what blue ray dvd was made for.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.20, 09:32 AM   #30
Inaudible-Whisper

They don't like lifelike. They look blatantly CG, I think mostly down to the design than the actually CGI work. They look too plastic. The prawns in District 9 don't look like CG. At all. I'm not saying District 9 has superior CGI; just that the alien design in it was perfect, and far out enough to not have an uncanny valley effect. Avatar looks beautiful, the environments in particular, but the Na'vi look far, far from realistic. It's always going to be harder to make us believe in a fake person. It's like how a human will often have trouble telling one dog from another unless they know them very, very well -- we're just not good at picking up on the little individual things that differentiate animals from one another, but we're much better at it when it comes to our own species. And that same talent for very specific observation means it's relatively easy to fake a CGI dog, but much, much harder to fake a CGI human. So you can imagine how hard it is to make a 12 foot tall, bright blue humanesque character with cat eyes and ears and fetal alcohol syndrome look real. The CGI team have done a great job, but I think it could have looked better with better creature design and it certainly isn't a step-up from the likes of Davey Jones, Gollum and King Kong.

25psdjt.jpg

What did impress me was everything around the Na'vi. The environments look stunning, and 2 hours of an entirely CG alien planet that looks like this... well, that impresses me.