Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.06.13, 11:35 AM   #21
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Yeah the Japanese never had really strong words... or I didn't learn them so far.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.13, 12:24 PM   #22
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

"Gaijin" doesn't mean "foreign devil" though... just "foreigner" but it can be used in a derogatory sense. I really think shirts like that are in extremely poor taste and offend most Japanese.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.13, 01:20 PM   #23
inaux

inaux pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
lol, that's the first time i've seen the kanji for "baka".
(and it means horse deer, btw.) strange.
It came from labeling people who can't distinguish a horse from a deer that's what I heard.
inaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.13, 02:27 PM   #24
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

A horse IS a kind of deer!
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.13, 02:43 PM   #25
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
A horse IS a kind of deer!
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.13, 11:21 PM   #26
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

maybe we can call people who can't differentiate phase 1 and phase 2... phakas?

anyway.
just a thought. don't be offended.
Old 2008.06.14, 02:20 AM   #27
chickshow

chickshow has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default that is the very shirt

That is the one from J-list that I was wearing, I think she just could not get her head around why I'd wear a "self-insulting" shirt knowingly?
An example of the inate politeness of the Japanese culture I guess.

I think the "rising sun" is still a bit of an awkward symbol in Japan also due to WW2.
chickshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.16, 05:43 PM   #28
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Are they visual kei? I swear I've heard of them before, it was positive stufff, maybe I heard a song or two, but didn't know it...
Somebody needs to read more Maou... They started as a VK band, but mostly dropped that look after their third album (Sugizo still dyed his hair pink). Check out the Muxtape thread.

The best performances I've seen belong to Luna Sea, Glay, and Bonnie Pink. I won't say Phase 1 since that's redundant. I've seen Luna Sea in person and firmly believe they are still the best band in the world even if they are still disbanded.
Old 2008.06.16, 10:17 PM   #29
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

No mention of Boredoms!! I have seen them 3 times, and I know this is supposed to be about something you can watch on youtube, but experiencing Boredoms live is about 15 times better than what you get 2nd hand, as it were. (And don't bother with their Live in San Francisco DVD, it is one continuous shot...kind of a weird decision to release that. I was at the show, so it is doubly depressing.)

And I am thrilled to report that OOIOO are playing in my humble little town of Hamamatsu this Sunday at a sake brewery. Might be blasphemous to Boredoms fans, but I actually prefer OOIOO. I am partial to women, though.

YMO have had sporadic reunion shows, billed as either YMO, like at last year's Live Earth, or more commonly as Human Audio Sponge. They don't play that much old YMO stuff. They just played in London, as YMO, at the Masive Attack curated Meltdown festival, and are playing in Spain this week as well. I hope they do an official tour here in Japan sometime soon. (That hot chick you were talking about is Akiko Yano, who is still a very popular pop artist in Japan, kind of left of center, but still close to the middle of the road. She is also playing a show in Hamamtsu this summer that I may go to.)
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.17, 12:33 AM   #30
redstuff

redstuff pleased at least somebody

I'm in Japan on vacation now and have been lucky enough to see Mikami Chisako and GO!GO!7188 live. Since those are the only two J-rock shows I've been to, besides Japan Nite in the US this year (filled with bands I neither know nor care about) they win by default. Seeing Chisako in particular was a great experience because A. fra-foa is probably my favorite Japanese band, and B. she hardly plays shows these days, from what I hear, so I doubt I'll ever have this chance again.

I always loved watching fra-foa lives on Youtube or whatever, but it still doesn't prepare you for how great she is in person. She even managed to do a great job w/ some of her more mediocre solo material. Fantastic show. GO!GO! was also awesome, and due to the sheer craziness of the crowd I was gradually pushed further and further towards the front, and managed to get a very clear view of the band members. I wish I had the chance to see more bands I like here, but I'm still incredibly grateful just for the chance to see these two.
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote