Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Which is your least favourite of the big three Ringo albums?
Muzai Moratorium 18 54.55%
Shouso Strip 6 18.18%
Kalk Zamen Kuro No Hana 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011.12.11, 08:54 PM   #11
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
What IS engaging is seeing asinine, lunch-period intellectual reasons MM is "clearly" inferior.
Ever the elitist, Jihad. You do realize, of course, that listening to music isn't necessarily an exercise in art criticism? That not everything everybody has ever written on the Internet is for the purpose of intellectual debate?

I'm not entirely certain you know what a "poll" is. You don't poll a group of mathematicians on what "1+1" equals out to. Or maybe you'd legitimately rather write a paragraph on why you're abstaining from voting than spend a couple of seconds deciding whether or not you want to click a single radio button.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 11:52 PM   #12
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Well... it seems Jihad did spend more than a couple of seconds and decided that it such a poll was meaningless.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.12, 03:09 AM   #13
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
Ever the elitist, Jihad. You do realize, of course, that listening to music isn't necessarily an exercise in art criticism? That not everything everybody has ever written on the Internet is for the purpose of intellectual debate?

I'm not entirely certain you know what a "poll" is. You don't poll a group of mathematicians on what "1+1" equals out to. Or maybe you'd legitimately rather write a paragraph on why you're abstaining from voting than spend a couple of seconds deciding whether or not you want to click a single radio button.
I was just saying why I didnt choose one. The great thing abut an internet poll is that I can participate to what ever extent I choose. I realize such a thing doesn't go on my permanent record, but I enjoy double thinking and scrutinizing such kinds of thoughts of ranking. As I've mentioned before, I love a good list. So I enjoy the over thinking and could generally lead to something to write about. I'm well aware not everyone takes such things as "srs bznss" as me, nor do I think they should. Personally, I won't, or maybe can't do it any other way.
Old 2011.12.12, 04:47 AM   #14
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Sorry, I went a bit off the handle. Shitty mood swings.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.12, 09:00 AM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I thought it was a little uncharacteristic
Old 2011.12.12, 09:37 AM   #16
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

That's my point Jihad.
Yes, from MM to SS to KZK show Ringo's progress and development as an artist. But MM is still the beginning, the most raw, unrefined part. I know it's still important to Ringo. Saying it's my least favorite is not saying that I think it shouldn't exist. I understand MM needed to be made so Ringo could learn and make SS.
But that doesn't change the fact that Ringo seems almost like a different person in MM. And back then, she didn't have the characteristics that I liked about her.

SS used to be my least favorite, but Sakana changed that.

You're right. Koko de Kiss Shite is not Ringo's worst song. Gips is, but KdKS comes in close second!

EDIT: And if my opinions on MM are so "engaging", why not actually say something other than insulting us by saying they are "asinine, lunch-period intellectual". You know how I get pissed off when you're being incredibly dismissive?

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.12.12 at 09:41 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.12, 10:43 AM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

>But that doesn't change the fact that Ringo seems almost like a different person in MM.

>SS used to be my least favorite, but Sakana changed that.

>You're right. Koko de Kiss Shite is not Ringo's worst song. Gips is, but KdKS comes in close second!

>>asinine, lunch-period intellectual not an apt enough response.
ಠ_ಠ
Old 2011.12.12, 02:38 PM   #18
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts
Default if people are editing their posts, dammit Im going to completely *rewrite* it

@Turtle/anyone: It's a too easy cliche to say of anyone "she made this when she was a teenager", therefore she's starting out / more simple, therefore it's not as good. But that doesn't fit with Ringo, even if simple music was somehow necessarily a bad thing.

It's also a cliche to argue that teenage emotions lead to better music - people do do that. A worldly wise person might not write a song whose emotions are pitched as precisely between happy and sad as Tadashii Machi, or at least that remarked upon sense of nervousness you get when you move to a new city for the first time. Sometimes the cleverest thing is to make something refined sound as if it's easy. Keikoku wasn't on your list of favoured MM songs (which I otherwise actually happen agree with, and Im not sure the later renditions are always better), but it's a rhythmic gem. The first part of the verse is like skipping rope, the prechorus is almost kind of funky, you could do that level-hand gesture some R&B singers do while singing, and the chorus is of course the \m/

The next two albums do get progressively more experimental, but the ways in which that happens is interesting and at no real detriment to the pure outright hitmaking of MM, which any songwriter worth their salt would respect, even if what they do themselves is more esoteric. Whatever the reason for the increase in experimentalism is, it's really, factually not about structure: she has always been about simple verse-prechorus-chorus, both then, now and all points inbetween, her bandmates pretty much fit in with that as well I think (I don't listen to Jihen much). There's a few allotted bars for a solo, max... And it's not about her melodies which have always pretty much always been complex, I seem to recall she envied Elephant Kashimashi because his melodies were simple and she couldn't write ones like that.

And obviously who would be allowed to debut with a KZK unless they're on an independent label. But if you're going to say her sensibilities aren't as refined early on, you're also putting down a various and novel set of B-sides left out for the (legitimate) reason that it doesn't fit the album/persona she was projecting. That's an argument for MM being a least favourite perhaps, but not an argument against her already being on top of her craft. Her singing might be raw on the Juwaki no Naka demo but it does something like 3 internal key changes to different parts of the circle of fifths while making it sound the most natural thing in the world. Even John Lennon and Stevie Wonder took years to write songs like that, the shades of emotions on that are like nothing else and yet the lyrics are about her boyfriend not calling her. Is her voice rough round the edges? Sure. But play one of the HF lives and watch her voice strip paint from the walls...

I honestly don't have a "least" favourite out of these three, they fit different moods and once things get to a certain level of really really good I don't do A>B any more. I'd vote KZK as a protest just because nu-fans use it to rag on MM/SS, but that's not how I feel about the music itself. MM isn't my least favourite, because it's just too much fun to cue up and the songs are timeless. Even Koko de is quite enjoyable once you let the damn song play...

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.12.12 at 02:59 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.12, 03:17 PM   #19
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oh no, this better not turn into a nu vs old fan bullshit thread. Didn't intend it more than some fun.
Old 2011.12.12, 03:28 PM   #20
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I only post on those kind of threads.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote