Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.01.10, 08:22 AM   #11
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Guys, I know it doesn't specifically mention the end of Shiina, but I feel like she's going to out-right retire now.

It's too bad.

And jeez, I was hoping for a B-Sides collection like watashi no houden! I want an MP3 of Put Your Camera Down!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 08:23 AM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am interested in hearing future work from Appa and Petrolz. (and Shiina Ringo, we'll see =p)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.01.10 at 09:08 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 08:54 AM   #13
Masuku

Masuku pleased at least somebody

When I first read the news I got this feeling like, "finally, I can breath". Or something like that. This ends once again one era in Ringo's career and I'm looking forward to the future.

Of course I was shocked, because TJ has been around for so long already but not surprised.
Masuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 09:06 AM   #14
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I think, WORST CASE scenario, Ringo will take a hiatus. Ringo lives and breathes music. Even if she were to "retire" I can see her producing and writing for many other artists for years to come. Still, I think she continue on to write and release her own music, either with a new side project or under her own name. I think she had planned to lay down the "shiina ringo" mantle for a while after KZK and after a good decade with Jihen, I think she could just as well pick it back up now that she has successfully changed her image away from who she was. Shiina Ringo is now an award winning film and television composer, producer, and cultural ambassador to Japan. Crazy when you think what happened in such a show time.

that said I'm sad about the band, more because of the uncertain future than the band itself. In this case though, I honestly feel that they are certainly better apart than together at this point. kameda and hate are never truly gone, but in the case of izawa and uki, I think their solo projects will do much better.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 09:08 AM   #15
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Most importantly, does this mean my screen name is now irrelevant? Q_Q

More seriously, I vividly remember the original Tokyo Jihen announcement, and that felt like meteoric news. This announcement, in spite of the ups and downs and incongruity caused by kind of splitting fan-bases, this still seems like big news to me. I didn't bother with this new song they put out, but their disbandment may bring me to give a teensy bit of crap towards Color Bars. I am at least a little interested into where the impetus came from, if it was Uki/Izawa or it was Shiina. I doubt it was Hata, because he seems to have a good gig going (and I'm sure he'll stay busy, if not play Ringo (Starr) to the rest of the separate band mates) and survived his little PR blemish last year. Kameda has well has never seemed to have trouble balancing his other ventures in conjunction, but there's the outside chance it's time for him to settle down. Which may be the case for Shiina as well. Maybe she's saying that the clock is quicly sounding on her career as a pop symbol, appealing to the widest of audiences. Even the other night I was thinking that Jihen compared to solo SR, seemed to aim for the widest audience possible and that likely lead to some of there very safe, very ho-hum decisions. Maybe it's time for her to step out of the arena and try something else. Of course in my deepest of hearts, I want to hear some real art from her again and now could be the time, but I know if anything it will likely be similarly safe "traditional" music that I won't particularly get excited for. But hey, that song from that ballet deal sounds alright.

Ukigumo and Izawa may have gotten the ball rolling. I kind of doubt it, cuz like Hata, they have a nice thing going, so it was probably Shiina. But in truth they easily have the most to gain from Jihen's disbandment. A wide audience likely knows their name now, and at least have certainly won some fans here. Both now likely have enough scratch to go full time and full tile with their own bands (if they so choose, in Ukigumo's case. But I doubt he'll join some other backing band, at least for some time.) They put out some at least decent records, better than their albums with Jihen largely, so it will be very interesting to see which way they go. Do they cultivate and progress their band's sound, or do they tweak their sound towards pop like Jihen to reach a wider crowd (Izawa mainly.)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.01.10 at 11:15 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 09:11 AM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I was hoping for a B-Sides collection like watashi no houden! I want an MP3 of Put Your Camera Down!
The audio from the Senkou Shoujo DVD is non-bastardly rippable, in the same manner that the small handful of 96kHz/24bit DVDs from Shiina Ringo's solo-career are. People who don't understand this, have paid big money in Yahoo! Japan Auctions for corresponding promo CD-Rs from EMI.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I am interested in hearing future work from Appa and Petrolz. (and Shiina Ringo, we'll see =p)
We'll never know what the next Petrolz CD will sound like, unless:
a.) The 1st-gen retailers will ship internationally.
b.) The aftermarket will settle for something reasonably less than $75.

So...
probably not gonna happen.
Old 2012.01.10, 09:29 AM   #17
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@Glath
The issue is that I still need to buy the Senkou Shoujo DVD, which is me paying $15 for 1 song.

But, remember when HZM was in Jihen, and then he went back to PE'Z, and it seemed like more people knew about PE'Z because of HZM's involvement with Shiina. So maybe post-Jihen Appa and Petrolz will sign to a larger label or get more popular enough to mean that we could get a CD from CDJapan or something.

I remember reading an interview where Shiina said that she wants a second marriage and she wants to have a daughter because she always wanted a sister when she was a child (which doesn't really make sense, because she had an older brother and that's exactly what would happen if she had a daughter), so maybe this is time for Shiina to just focus on being a mom.
And maybe Shiina is really content to just stop making music?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 10:24 AM   #18
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
@Glath
The issue is that I still need to buy the Senkou Shoujo DVD, which is me paying $15 for 1 song.

But, remember when HZM was in Jihen, and then he went back to PE'Z, and it seemed like more people knew about PE'Z because of HZM's involvement with Shiina. So maybe post-Jihen Appa and Petrolz will sign to a larger label or get more popular enough to mean that we could get a CD from CDJapan or something.

I remember reading an interview where Shiina said that she wants a second marriage and she wants to have a daughter because she always wanted a sister when she was a child (which doesn't really make sense, because she had an older brother and that's exactly what would happen if she had a daughter), so maybe this is time for Shiina to just focus on being a mom.
And maybe Shiina is really content to just stop making music?

I said when Hikaru took her hiatus, "I'd been fine if she never releases anything ever again at this point. I think she had a good run."

I won't be able to do the same for Shiina.

I wanted a piece of work to redeem that album last year. I'm not sure of color bars will be that. I kinda get Konya wa karasawagi as the departing single now; I see the PV in a new light as well.

P.S.: Yes I'm Unet Canti, turtlefu. Site is so dead right now.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 10:52 AM   #19
Lock

Lock is headed in the right direction

No surprise for me.

Too many clues:

Color Bars...
Live CD (compilation)...
Shiina Ringo back with a fake mole...
Shiina Ringo shooting herself... oh, wait... that's not very hopeful at all.

Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.10, 10:58 AM   #20
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

it's sad, but it was kinda expected. I hope it's for the better and means we'll be getting a new solo Ringo album soon, I really don't think (and really hope) that she's going to retire, I guess she just wants to focus on her solo work.
I do hope that Ringo will continue collaborating with Izawa on her solo work though
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote