Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.01.11, 08:38 AM   #61
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Translations of the other members' remarks... I find it interesting that Ukigumo says he decided/it was decided that he'd join the band the day before recording of "Adult" was set to start. That tells me that, in contrast to this decision planned A YEAR IN ADVANCE, Hirama and HZM quit really suddenly and it screwed everyone over. (Maybe that's why Adult is a standout in the Jihen catalogue, because it had almost no Uki/Izawa influence songwriting-wise--there was no time.) That's basically unheard of to do something so selfish and damaging... That says some strong emotions were involved... I still wonder what happened there and if translating any interviews from that era will unearth any secrets.

Anyway.

私が参加してからはもう6年が経ちました、あっというまでした。
この奇跡的な音楽集団に参加できた事に感謝しています。新しい自分になれたら、
また一緒に音楽を作りたいです。同じ時を駆け抜けた大切な仲間です。
今まで応援くださったお客様には心よりお礼申し上げます。
実際、何度も救われました。ありがとうございました。
東京事変が作り上げた作品達が今後も皆様を潤わしてくれますように。
またどこかでお会い致しましょう。
さようなら。ありがとう。
伊澤一葉
Already six years have passed since I joined, it went by in a flash.
I am grateful that I could participate in this miraculous music catalogue. When I get used to my new self, I'll want to make music together again. They are my precious friends that ran through the same time with me.
To those who supported us until now, I thank you from the heart.
In reality, you've saved us many times over. Thank you very much.
May the work Tokyo Jihen has built up touch all of you deeply going forward too.
I'll see you again somewhere.
Goodbye. Thank you.

Ichiyou Izawa

5人で空を鳴らした日々、最高値で駆け抜けた日々が、
今、終わろうとしています。
僕は、音楽家として人間として、胸いっぱいの愛を『東京事変』という名のタイムカプセルにつめこみました。ラストライブの幕が下りる時まで、一点のよどみない音を笑顔で鳴らしつづけることを誓います。
そして、いつかまた、このタイムカプセルの扉が開かれ時が来ることを願って…
7年間、ほんとうにありがとうございました!
亀田誠治
Now we're trying to end the days when the five of us made the sky ring, the days that we ran through at an all-time high.
I've packed the love that fills my heart as a musician and as a person into a time capsule called "Tokyo Jihen." I vow that with our smiles, only one unfaltering sound will continue to ring out until the time when the curtain falls on our last live performance.
So, hoping for the time to come someday to open the door to this time capsule again...
Thank you very much for these seven years!

Seiji Kameda

大人が5人集まって、こんなに仲がいいのもめずらしい。
しかもそのまま終わるっていうのも、なかなかないことなんじゃないでしょうか。
4人はいつも優しくて、とても有り難かったです。
手前味噌ですが、東京事変はすごくカッコいい音楽をやってきたと思います。
だからそれを聴いて、観に来てくれた皆さんも、最高にカッコいいお客さんだったと思います。
ありがとうございました。
刄田綴色
It's rare for five adults altogether to get along so well.
And yet even saying it's ending like that is not really the case, is it?
I'm very grateful to the four of them for always being so nice.
I'm singing my own praises, but I think Tokyo Jihen made really cool music.
So I also think everyone who listened to that and came to see us were the coolest fans.
Thank you very much.

Toshiki Hata

加入も解散もいつも突然にやってくるのが東京事変です。
思えば東京事変に加入が決まったのはアルバム「大人」のレコーディングの前日でした。
楽しかったです。
有難うございました!
でわ!
浮雲
Joining and disbanding always came suddenly with Tokyo Jihen.
When I think about it, I decided to join Tokyo Jihen the day before recording the album "Adult."
It was fun.
Thank you so much!
Bye!

Ukigumo
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 09:29 AM   #62
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Uki is still a man of few words.

I thought Hirama and HZM decided to leave before Dynamite tour started?

But HZM must have not left on bad feelings, because he and Shiina collaborated again later on.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 09:38 AM   #63
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
I find it interesting that Ukigumo says he decided/it was decided that he'd join the band the day before recording of "Adult" was set to start. That tells me that, in contrast to this decision planned A YEAR IN ADVANCE, Hirama and HZM quit really suddenly and it screwed everyone over.
That is untrue about HZM and Hirama. It's been known for some time that Ukigumo joined so late that all the Adult song arrangements had already been completed by Shiina, Kameda and Izawa. All Ukigumo did for Adult was come in and play his parts which is why he just kinda sounds "there" on Adult.

He joined so late because they couldn't find another guitarist. Shiina and co had been rejected by several other guitarists including Ukigumo. They practically begged Ukigumo to join the band at the last minute because nobody else wanted the job.
Old 2012.01.11, 11:03 AM   #64
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

http://www.emimusic.jp/tokyojihen/sp...iew/toct22311/

Color bar interview. More disbanding info in there, I think. And Hata's song.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 11:22 AM   #65
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
So any down feelings I have about this is towards finally burying that notion that Tokyo Jihen was going to be a chapter heading in the history books -- even if that idea was erased years ago anyway.
I understand your disappointment, but I can imagine someone who missed out on Tokyo Jihen completely (maybe too young or not even born yet) discovering them ten or fifteen years down the line and simply being blown away (and perhaps better able to forgive their unevenness, discovering their whole catalog all at once).
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 11:37 AM   #66
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Lets not go there in this thread
Old 2012.01.11, 11:41 AM   #67
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
I understand your disappointment, but I can imagine someone who missed out on Tokyo Jihen completely (maybe too young or not even born yet) discovering them ten or fifteen years down the line and simply being blown away (and perhaps better able to forgive their unevenness, discovering their whole catalog all at once).
I'm almost that person -- I first listened to Kyouiku, Adult, Variety, and Sports within two days of each other, and that was my first exposure to Shiina/Jihen -- and I can firmly say that even then I was unable to forgive their unevenness. Variety's numerous issues as an album run deeper than the "disappointment" factor, and Sports sounds even more generically poppish to an outsider than to a Shiina devotee.

If I had to introduce Jihen to a friend, I wouldn't feel comfortable picking one of their five albums at random for them to spin -- and that's the acid test of a band's "evenness." I would certainly feel comfortable giving them any of Shiina's solo albums.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 11:49 AM   #68
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I sort of feel like, while Shiina Ringo is always going to be a universal constant, deep down we all knew that Tokyo Jihen was an "era" and all eras have to end. Tokyo Jihen will just end up being "what Shiina Ringo did for 4 years instead of making really amazing albums"
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 12:02 PM   #69
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I hope the inevitable DVD is from one of the Osaka-jo Hall shows instead of the Budoukan. Better acoustics.
Old 2012.01.11, 12:03 PM   #70
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I like this comment I just read somewhere else.

"Old school David Bowie fans will know what I mean when I say that this news is like hearing that Tin Machine are splitting up."
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote