Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2008.08.29, 10:20 AM   #11
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I love pe'zmoku. Really good stuff.
Old 2008.12.26, 11:09 AM   #12
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I just wanted to point out that several PE'Z albums are being reissued sometime in Q1 2009:

Kugatsu no Sora
Kiwamari Zuki
Best Stage Zero

These have all been out-of-print. The first two albums were copy-protected before, and are being replaced by SHM-CDs. I don't know if the new Kiwamari Zuki will have the playtime of the first-press or the second-press. I know that original first-press came with a bonus mini-CD with three more tracks, because the main CD was stuffed full at 74 minutes (18 minutes of that was for bonus music tacked onto the end of the final track for first-press). There's no mention of the reissue having a bonus CD, and there's no mention of the playtime being 74 minutes or 58 minutes.

Best Stage Zero is a compilation that went out-of-print not long after it was released before. There's no indication of the reissue being any different than the original. They're both normal (nonSHM) CDs with no copy protection.

------------------

If I knew for a fact that the Kiwamari Zuki SHM-CD was 74 minutes, I would buy it even though I own the original, and even though the 1s and 0s on both discs are supposed to be the same, just because I want to perform some jitter and C1 tests with my PlexWriter Premium, to verify if SHM-CDs are really that much better in CD players than regular CDs. Out of any CD/DVD drive on the planet, the PlexWriter Premium gives the most accurate analysis of how easy or difficult it is for CD players to deal with a particular disc (like if you wanted to compare the 'quality' of a burnt disc versus an original). My first-press Kiwamari Zuki has only been touched once after I got through the shrinkwrap, and only so I could rip it in lossless. That's the best test candidate you could ever pit against an SHM reissue.

I have no personal or longterm use for SHM replacements of any regular CDs I already own, because when you're doing secure rips with Exact Audio Copy, there is no difference between ripping a regular CD versus ripping an SHM-CD - they both have the same data but one of them is just easier to read. My first step-dad has an expensive CD player setup, and he likes PE'Z, so I'll just give him the SHM-CD when I'm through with testing it.

I'd eventually like to get my hands on a Blu-Spec CD and an HQCD. These are all competing 'formats' under different record labels, to enhance the readability of CDs (with the same 1s and 0s as before) with better lasers or better materials. It's not that I take all these gimmicks very seriously, but I just want to scientifically prove that you are better off burning a $5 CD-R with a $200 CD-RW drive (both imported from Japan), than replacing all your old CDs with all these new factory-pressed CDs. If there's an SHM/HQ/Blu-Spec release for an album you don't already own but were thinking about buying, then you might as well buy the special version (kind of like what I'm doing for Blankey Jet City).

------------------

I wonder how long it will be, before EMI releases SHM-CDs for Shiina Ringo or Tokyo Jihen. After they already pumped out MoRA, I wouldn't put it past them. They could have given us SHM-CDs in the MoRA CD box and they probably thought about it, and realized they could get more money in the long run by releasing a box of regular CDs first, then releasing a box of SHM-CDs next year.
Old 2010.02.02, 10:32 PM   #13
Denitson777

Denitson777 pleased at least somebody

New PE'Z Album 1・2・MAX is out for sale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLeUs3wdZs
Denitson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.03, 04:54 PM   #14
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I pre-ordered it a few weeks ago, but the album won't ship out to me until Sports ships out.

This is the first album of original non-moku material, that they've released in the last three years. I remember when they stopped releasing fresh material for awhile, then Funny Day & Hard Night (a double-album of all-new material) came out. This latest album seems small in comparison, but then again they have been busy as pe'zmoku.
Old 2010.02.04, 01:34 AM   #15
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I've only listened to Pez's Samurai something, one of the non-original material albums. I haven't been THAT eager to get into them but the Akatsuki EP sounds appealing...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.04, 06:57 AM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I've only listened to Pez's Samurai something, one of the non-original material albums.
PE'Z has two cover albums, both with "Samurai" in the name, and the albums aren't numbered. Do you happen to know which one you're talking about? I particularly like the newer one (Samurai Meets The Enemy) a lot more than the first, but unfortunately the album doesn't seem to be available for international purchase. I've thought about using a deputy service, but then it would nearly double the price of the album if I were just getting that one album from the Japanese retailer.

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I haven't been THAT eager to get into them but the Akatsuki EP sounds appealing...
Being as that we're both SR/TJ fans, what I will say to you is that you would probably really like the HZM-centric tracks among the PE'Z discography. Unfortunately there aren't enough of those, as their trumpeter writes at least 2/3rds of the compositions for the band, and once they became pe'zmoku I suspect no more of the compositions came from HZM.

I'm quite eager to hear what non-moku PE'Z has done in the latest album, as HZM hasn't been solo for awhile and there's no suzumoku in plain old PE'Z - so HZM probably contributed some more compositions to the band. Going solo was probably just his way of expressing himself while he was in a band that didn't fully capitalize on his talents. I mean, if you watch PE'Z REALIVE 2005 - that's basically everything you need to know about why HZM left Tokyo Jihen. You can't really grasp the full extent of what HZM can do, until you've watched REALIVE 2005 (now out-of-print) or his solo-career concert (seems to be on the verge of disappearing). It's enough to make Electric Mole look like child's play. The man is a monster.
Old 2010.02.04, 08:48 AM   #17
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Whoa, really?

I don't like most of HZM's compositions between 5+2 = 11 and Pianohead -- in fact, among all the TJ members, I liked his non-TJ stuff the least (Gunjou Biyori though, is the best non Ringo TJ composition and arguably one of the best TJ songs, and DO's Service knocked me for six... What the hell is up with that?) I haven't heard his PE'Z stuff.

I did see you mention a while ago that Pianoise in Osaka to 5+2 was what Dynamite Out was to Kyouiku, and considering HZM was the star in Dynamite Out IMHO, count me as very intrigued.

Oh, it was Samurai Meets the Enemy, for sure.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.02.04 at 12:25 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.10, 07:12 PM   #18
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm going to have to give this band more of a chance.

Very positive review of the new Pe'z album here, on Allaboutjazz.com:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=36320
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.11, 10:48 AM   #19
Glathannus
True Final Boss

I still think that Funny Day & Hard Night (from 2007) is the last great thing PE'Z has ever done. I don't think 1.2 Max stacks up to it. They've got another album coming in June. We'll just have to wait and see how that turns out.

Meanwhile, I have a feeling that pe'zmoku operated as more of a record label contract loophole, instead of as a serious band. PE'Z had a contract with EMI or RCA, so they add one member to the band, they call the band something different, and legally they can operate on a new record label. Now that non-moku PE'Z is back, I see that they are also working with the same record label as pe'zmoku. I strongly suspect that PE'Z was waiting for their old contract to expire, and that we've probably seen the last of pe'zmoku.
Old 2011.06.18, 05:09 PM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

So I've got this brother who is bored, who has no computer to use the moment (partially because I'm using mine), and he's ruled out everything which is broadcasting right now, and every DVD or Blu-Ray he's already watched.

I sit there and think for a moment, and then I came up with this great idea. He's already watched PE'Z REALIVE's 2005 and 2007 on computer, and liked them. I've also got the DVD for 2008, which he hadn't seen yet, and from what I can recall on the packaging, it's All-Region (unlike a lot of other Japanese releases). So I deconstruct my tower of storage bins to reach the disc, I find it and double-check the packaging, and sure enough, it says "(ALL)NTSC" after the "(16:9)". We load the disc for the TV, and it complains about Region restrictions.

Now I more profoundly understand why vendors who ship Japanese DVDs, try to tell you everything is Region 2. I didn't have All-Region expectations before buying this DVD, but now I feel betrayed by the packaging.