Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.11.02, 08:55 PM   #7211
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Perfume - GLITTER
This song. I can't stop listening to it. This is probably the best song Perfume have released in years, maybe ever. And they look positively gorgeous in the video, especially A~chan, who normally looks the most homely. They just hit the ball out of the park on this one. Can't wait for their new album (with only 4 new songs on it ).

CLT: Carnation... XD
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.02, 09:01 PM   #7212
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Really? Hoopra of all people posts "Impossible Soul"?

..dogs, cats living together; mass hysteria...
Old 2011.11.02, 09:25 PM   #7213
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ugh I feel like I'm being raped. I alternate between liking and hating Amanda Palmer. if she wasn't such a narcissistic bitch I think she'd be a bit more tolerable.

CLT: heartlines - florence + the machine.
Just tried Florence and the Machine. Do not get it.
Just dont like those style vocals much. Unless it's Cat Power doing em.

This style of delivery only seems to have popped up fairly recently, I can't really think of any stuff from the 80s or earlier that has this weird style female vocals which are hard to describe. But they're on like every tampon ad or indie Juno-ish movie.

Though I will give Florence a bit more of a go... my friends are raving about her. At least they're not going on about Depeche Mode anymore. Thank god.
Old 2011.11.02, 10:03 PM   #7214
sylfi

Honestly, if you're gonna try Florence's new album, best songs to start with would probably be Spectrum, Shake It Out, or All This and Heaven Too. If you go with her debut, you can find something on last.fm or whatever. She's not normally my kind of music, but I just love the complexity of some of her stuff, and her voice is so powerful. Much better than screeching banshees like Lady Gaga.
Old 2011.11.02, 11:57 PM   #7215
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Really? Hoopra of all people posts "Impossible Soul"?

..dogs, cats living together; mass hysteria...
my taste in music changes often like the season here in new england, could be light and fluffy and poppy, could be angsty and nerdy, could be funky and soulfull
caus i make beats i used to sample lots of 70s stuff, so im hip to all kinds of music, i have one of the best ears i think in knowing what is good no matter what genre
that is why shiina is my favorite artist, she can pull off any style of music, i bet she could spit a sixteen bar verse on one of my beats and kill(in a good way) it too lol
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.03, 07:59 AM   #7216
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Best Perfume Song: Edge Triangle-Mix. Listen to it.
Glitter is alright. I prefer Spice. I have low expectations for JPN though.

Florence and the Machine: How complex is it really? It's pretty much standard pop/rock songs with a HARP and Gospel vocals! Also way too pretentious. Florence dear, your music is not THAT experimental and its not at ALL innovative.

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ugh I feel like I'm being raped. I alternate between liking and hating Amanda Palmer. if she wasn't such a narcissistic bitch I think she'd be a bit more tolerable.
WuT.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.03, 08:00 AM   #7217
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

EDIT: Dang, accidental double post
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.03, 08:56 AM   #7218
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Lush - Lit Up
Old 2011.11.03, 03:07 PM   #7219
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Love that version of Lit Up (there's a great "Lovelife" from the same gig IIRC).

It's getting close to the time of year when this track sounds at its best. Guitars to soundtrack Christmas shopping in the city and fairy lights, interesting cadences everywhere (this band are so underrated) and some of the best vocal ooohs ever.

Lush - Monochrome

Meanwhile I'm trying to think about whether I'd rather have friends that turn into incontinent pyromaniac flesh eating zombies, or friends that suddenly get obsessive about Depeche Mode. It's a toughie.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.03, 07:00 PM   #7220
sylfi

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Best Perfume Song: Edge Triangle-Mix. Listen to it.
Glitter is alright. I prefer Spice. I have low expectations for JPN though.

Florence and the Machine: How complex is it really? It's pretty much standard pop/rock songs with a HARP and Gospel vocals! Also way too pretentious. Florence dear, your music is not THAT experimental and its not at ALL innovative.
I've heard edge. I will amend my previous statement: I think that GLITTER ties with GAME and edge as their best song. I really love GLITTER that much. I just think that Nakata actually tried this time, as opposed to something like Laser Beam where it sounds like he slapped it together in 10 minutes.

As for Florence, I will admit that much of it DOES fit your description, but there are some songs like Rabbit Heart (which she arranged the vocals on, I'm pretty sure), Strangeness and Charm, and I'm Not Calling You A Liar are rather entrancing and somewhat complex. I don't find her pretentious at all either. In fact, in interviews, she never comes off as anything but grounded, and maybe even a little ditzy. Besides, I'd almost never listen to something pretentious, considering I listen to a fair amount of lowest-common-denominator pop. XD