Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2009.06.09, 06:52 AM   #21
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I never said you should lose or gain anything. All I'm saying is that a point system, like the money system, where you use numbers to dictate the value of a person, is always going to create inequity and differences, and the real value of the person is never correctly represented. As you see, your own rep power doesn't even start to represent what you have given to this community.
If the Rep Power was something just for fun, I wouldn't mind participating, but it's not just for fun and may have multiple intepretations by different members and is overall a bit confusing.

Well, but thanks for explaining anyway. I was the one who had the questions in the first place, so the least I can do is thank you for not saying "It's a secret, go back to your place!"
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.09, 07:00 AM   #22
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Uhhh...why the hell is there 3 pages of crap here? Rep? Really?

Why are we going back and forth so much about internet "bling"? It's worthless. It doesn't make the other members like you more or less. We already have an opinion on most members here, regardless of Rep.

Just hang a gold chain while you post for god sakes and let the subject die.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.09, 07:30 AM   #23
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Wasn't that a bit unapropriate cjhobbies?
Some members care about rep and Glath seems to have put much thought into it.

And if you read what I said, I have already stated that people already have an opinion of everybody and they count more on it than on any other number. Still, the rep system exists.
I think it's weird to have a EMF moderator say all this discussion amounts to "crap". If the rep system isn't important, just disable it, no?
Old 2009.06.09, 07:32 AM   #24
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

My rep power dropped from a 7 or an 8 to a 5 due to changes (haven't received any negative rep) but... meh. I don't care.
Old 2009.06.09, 07:37 AM   #25
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Wasn't that a bit unapropriate cjhobbies?
Some members care about rep and Glath seems to have put much thought into it.

And if you read what I said, I have already stated that people already have an opinion of everybody and they count more on it than on any other number. Still, the rep system exists.
I think it's weird to have a EMF moderator say all this discussion amounts to "crap". If the rep system isn't important, just disable it, no?
It's used for practical reasons. People shouldn't look at the number and think of it as a measure of their worth.

I know Glath put a lot of thought to it, he also did a lot of explaning already. I didn't think the practical reasons of the rep system was being discussed...I think people were hurt when they saw their number drop and I just wanted to reiterate that the rep scores shouldn't be a vanity plate.

I'm a 5 now...I think I'll soothe myself with a little cocoa.

Edited - and you weren't the target of my previous post, btw. Some people said that they felt hurt when their number changed and I just wanted to make it very clear that the number doesn't mean much in regards to your standing with other members.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.09, 07:37 AM   #26
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I never said you should lose or gain anything. All I'm saying is that a point system, like the money system, where you use numbers to dictate the value of a person, is always going to create inequity and differences, and the real value of the person is never correctly represented. As you see, your own rep power doesn't even start to represent what you have given to this community.
If the Rep Power was something just for fun, I wouldn't mind participating, but it's not just for fun and may have multiple intepretations by different members and is overall a bit confusing.

Well, but thanks for explaining anyway. I was the one who had the questions in the first place, so the least I can do is thank you for not saying "It's a secret, go back to your place!"
Like I said, the system only cares about your Rep Power for purposes of how much you would modify someone else's Reputation with an Approval or a Disapproval. You could have high Rep Power and low Reputation, or high Reputation and low Rep Power. If anything measures my contributions to this community, it's my second green dot - which is based solely on my Reputation, and not at all on my Rep Power. You might notice there are other people with the same Rep Power who only have one green dot, and there's someone with two green dots who has slightly less Rep Power. I don't measure a person's value according to Rep Power, and neither does the system. Everyone needs to stop looking at Rep Power like it's the most important stat. Reputation is actual acknowledgment you get from people, it's not the same thing as Rep Power, and nobody has lost any Reputation from the recent changes.

What I am mostly concerned about is the Reputation inflation I have seen at other communities. Imagine if I had so much Rep Power, that everytime I Approved you, that basically gave you another green dot. Then by a certain proportion, your Rep Power shoots up, as does the Rep Power of anyone else I've Approved. Maybe the Rep Power doesn't go up enough for any single one of you to give me a green dot in one Approval, but it goes up enough that maybe a handful of you can give me another green dot in one week or one month, and then I'm gaining about as much Rep Power as you just gained. Then who knows, maybe a year later, everytime I Approve you, that gets you two green dots. I have seen some communities where people have dozens of green dots next to their names, and I don't want our community here to be like that, but I would still like to keep the system.
Old 2009.06.09, 07:51 AM   #27
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

You keep alerting me to the difference of Reputation and Rep Power, but it's not like I never knew the difference between those two :x
I always knew how to differentiate the two, in my posts.

The Rep Power is what we always see in every post, along with Posts, Join Date and avatar. For me, looking at those is like reading the post, I just can't avoid it. So basically, those stats are hard to avoid and follow the person in every post she makes. Maybe what we should see is the person's Reputation, instead, since it's what matters?
Don't take that as a suggestion tho, lol. I'd much prefer to not see any stats =P

However, a suggestion that I think has much value, is to add this kind of information to the forum rules/guidelines. Write down that "Rep Power means X and you should not care much, etc" so that people can be informed of that: new members and old members.
It would have saved me the trouble of creating this thread in the first place =P
Old 2009.06.09, 01:54 PM   #28
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

nooo, where did the little rep number gooooo? I used to like seeing people get rewarded for their posts, and I got a strange satisfaction out of seeing who had high numbers (and deserved it) such as Ringo Bingo and EmilSherbe. I understand why it was disabled but I think negative rep should be disabled while positive should be encouraged. I think the possibility of neg rep being misused is a greater worry than misusing positive, and I like non-negative positive reinforcement techniques.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.09, 01:57 PM   #29
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

We can still see the Reputation, which, all things considered, is more representative than the Rep Power. When people rep you, it's your Reputation that automatically gains (or loses) points, whereas the Rep Power (that is now hidden) only shows you how much you'll affect someone's Reputation. So if you wanna see people being rewarded for their post, you still can
Old 2009.06.09, 01:59 PM   #30
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There's three things you can check, if you want to see where you stand.
1.) Hold your mouse cursor above the green/gray/red dot near someone's postcount.
2.) The main section of your User CP will tell you how many Reputation points you have acumulated. This number was never the same as your Rep Power, and it hasn't been downsized like Rep Power.
3.) Go to the Member List and tell it to sort by Reputation.