Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2010.09.08, 09:59 PM   #71
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

is Jose James a guest again on this new album? i hope!
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.12, 09:12 AM   #72
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
is Jose James a guest again on this new album? i hope!
He is... a song called L.O.V.E.J.A.M (preview of track and review behind link). It's more mellow than Jazzy Joint though ...

Have you heard Jose James' first two albums? The first is more straight jazzy (supported by a really excellent pianist it needs to be said), and the second is more diverse with more overt hip-hop / electronic elements to it - some productions from DJ Mitsu and Flying Lotus for example. I've seen him live and he is one of the best singers I've heard.

I'm not a shill for these guys' record company I promise.

Last edited by so_cold : 2010.09.12 at 11:29 AM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.22, 05:18 AM   #73
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I love how Jose James just gets the right spot all the time... L.O.V.E.J.A.M (that was difficult to type) is so sublime...
Old 2011.02.25, 09:38 PM   #74
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The Pimps released a covers album in Dec 2010 which completely escaped my radar...

Anyone listened to it yet? I'm wondering what their cover of MJ's Beat it and John Lennon's Imagine would sound like....

Notes from the official website:
SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONSプレゼンツのカバー企画盤!
全体をラジオ・ショーに見立て、外国語によるDJナレーション、短いスキット(寸劇)、ジングルを間に挟んで構成。カバーネタは古今東西の有名楽曲から誰もが知っている映画音楽、掘り出し物のレア・グルーブまで。アレンジもレゲエあり、ソカあり、スカあり、ジャズありと、SOILのオリジナルとはひと味違う新風味。海賊版?ミックス・テープ感覚CD。
◆声の出演
ラファエル・セバーグ(United Future Organization)、
ジャイルス・ピーターソン(BBC WORLDWIDE)、
ロブ・ギャラガー(TWO BANKS OF FOUR)ほか

Google translate:
SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS Presents CD cover project!
Likened the whole radio show, foreign language narration DJ, a short skit (a skit), composed jingles sandwiched between. The cover story that everyone knows music from the film's famous songs all ages, to find rare groove. Arrangement in reggae, soca has, in ska, and jazz has, SOIL new flavors, Original and Quirky. Piracy? Sense mixtape CD.
◆ Voice Actor
Rafael Seberg (United Future Organization),
Gilles Peterson (BBC WORLDWIDE),
Rob Gallagher (TWO BANKS OF FOUR) Other

Tracklist:

1. INTRODUCTION
2. Walkie Talkie Man
3. Mr.MAMBO IS MY NAME
4. Beat It
5. I Believe In Miracles
6. STONED PIRATES RADIO ID01
7. Boogie Stop Shuffle
8. I’ll Close My Eyes
9. BREAKING NEWS 01
10. One Step Beyond
11. JAZZ JUICE
12. Shaft In Africa
13. Love Theme (The Godfather)
14. STONED PIRATES RADIO ID02
15. DEATH JAZZ DELIVERY SERVICE
16. Mack The Knife
17. BREAKING NEWS 02
18. Psycho Therapy
19. STONED PIRATES RADIO ID03
20. Imagine

A little video of the opening track:

SAPS - Walkie Talkie Man

Last edited by justriiingo : 2011.02.25 at 10:50 PM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.26, 07:21 AM   #75
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

It wasn't bad, actually. A lot of the tracks are pretty short.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.26, 07:43 AM   #76
justriiingo

Can I just say how much I like Motoharu (sax)? He just tries extra hard!

So I gave it a listen.
I think in this album they get a little more playful than usual... it's the year 2036. The ice caps have stopped melting and the earth's atmosphere has returned to "normal". So obviously this is not an album to be taken seriously. Interestingly there's a lot more reggae on this album than their previous albums, but the pimps did not scrimp on the death jazz. I think I believe in miracles has been given a proper SAPS treatment, with Motoharu going Pharoah Sanders nasty on his sax.

Some of the skits are actually quite funny. I'd like a Death Jazz Delivery Service! Anytime. And Jazz Juice being actually a type of juice you can suck up through a straw... makes me wanna make a cocktail of it.

Anyway, I think it's pretty okay album. A fun little side project to fill in a year w/o new SAPS tunes.
Old 2011.02.26, 09:09 AM   #77
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I pre-ordered STONED PIRATES RADIO, and got a mini-poster with it back in December. Problem is, I've had trouble ripping the damn thing, even though it's new and technically not copy-protected. It wouldn't be the first defective SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS CD I've got my hands on. But with the other one, at least I was able to slow down to do the rip properly. Slowing down on STONED PIRATES RADIO doesn't seem to help enough. I still get "Suspicious Positions" and inconsistent CRCs from each ripping attempt. I may have to try some other drive(s) which aren't my first or second choice.
Old 2011.02.27, 04:45 AM   #78
justriiingo

Yes Glath but what do you think of the music?
Old 2011.02.27, 05:26 AM   #79
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I had already sworn off playing audio CDs on-the-fly by the time I finally got chickenpox (around age 19). I always rip my CDs first, then those rips become the exclusive medium for my listening.

Now since:
1.) I've had physical possession of the CD before anyone's rips started to circulate online.
2.) I refuse to download anyone else's rip of any CD I have on-hand.
3.) I haven't (yet) been able to produce a STONED PIRATES RADIO rip worth keeping.

Outcome:
I haven't (yet) listened to the album.
Old 2011.02.27, 03:49 PM   #80
justriiingo

Oh Glath.