Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.02, 12:07 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [TJ] 2012.02.15 - Tokyo Collection (CD) [Best Live Album]

東京コレクション (Tokyo Collection)

01. 三十二歳の別れ
02. 禁じられた遊び (Kinjirareta Asobi)
03. かつては男と女 (Katsute wa Otoko to Onna)
04. キラーチューン (Killer Tune)
05. OSCA
06. ミラーボール (Mirror Ball)
07. 復讐 (Fukushuu)
08. ピノキオ (Pinocchio)
09. 閃光少女 (Senkou Shoujo)
10. 透明人間 (Toumei Ningen)
11. 丸の内サディスティック (Marunouchi Sadistic)
12. スーパースター (Superstar)
13. 群青日和 (Gunjou Biyori)
14. 夢のあと (Yume no Ato)
Total Playtime: 1:01:59

Second-Press Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.20, 03:07 PM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

No one is talking about this? After listening to it, that sounds about right. It is sadly uninteresting. Forgiving the fact we've heard basically all these recordings before (I can understand the technical why fors) it isn't even a particularly engaging smattering. You get the three obvious songs (OSCA, Killer tune, and Senkou Shoujo) three suprising selections (Fukushuu, Pinnochio, Superstar) three songs you can't wait til you never have to hear them again (Toumei Ningen, Mirrorball, Marunouchi) two Dynamite Out songs (not already mentioned) that have been dragged around so much since it is hard to face them anymore (Gunjo, Yume no Ato) and some other relatively "deep cuts" to start things off. The musicianship actually is a plus, especially to start things off, but as the album goes on, once Killer Tune is in the rearview, it gets spottier (until we get to the Dynamite songs of course, which are so hot I'd fuck em.)

Tokyo Jihen started off as a much better live band than in the studio, and it sounds like they finished that way as well. Unfortunately the long middle displays the band prominently at their least adept. Nor does the album even really qualify as a solid best of, with glaring omissions (that translated really well live too!) and laughable inclusions. But then, that was always Jihen's way. An unfortunately neutered release almost any way you look at it.
Old 2012.02.20, 03:53 PM   #5
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Live Albums are always uninteresting and Best Albums are always uninteresting. A LIVE BEST album, then, is the most uninteresting thing evar.

I actually do like this version of MaruSadi, but there are so many other songs I would have picked.

I hope 32sai no Wakare gets a studio recording so I don't have to buy anything from this terrible album.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.20, 03:57 PM   #6
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Not all Live albums are bad.

Nick Cave and Bad Seeds- Live Seeds
Yapoos- Yapoos Suspicious Behaviour
Jun Togawa- Uratamahime
Metallica- Live Shit Binge and Purge

To name some

But this one is yeah, pretty dumb. Collector's (including me) or passing-fan material really.

It's still not as pointless as say, Dynamite In or the Sora Ga/Onna no... single though. Both of which I also own :-D
Old 2012.02.20, 04:55 PM   #7
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I got about halfway through it last night. One noticeable difference between this and the mp3 rips of my DVDs is the tweaking of Ringo's voice so it rises somewhat above the instruments...and also tweaking some of the instrumental passages to filter out crowd noise and other junk. It sounds great, at first. I also like how they eliminate pauses between the songs. They really flow together so it seems like one (weird) performance. Working those transitions in may have been a factor in picking songs.

As far as the selection goes, I think OSCA is a great pic from Ultra C, and for me Fukushuu and Senkou Shoujo were highlights of Spa and Treatment, so goodness there. When I hear the rest I'll have a fuller review.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.20, 05:02 PM   #8
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
But this one is yeah, pretty dumb. Collector's (including me) or passing-fan material really.

It's still not as pointless as say, Dynamite In or the Sora Ga/Onna no... single though. Both of which I also own :-D
I can think of a few Tokyo Jihen releases I'd rank lower than Dynamite In.
Yanno, like, everything from Phase 2.

But really, though - Sora Ga is the #1 most worthless Tokyo Jihen release ever. Nothing else even comes close. Would've been worth a lot more if none of the songs were on Dai-Hakken, and Dai-Hakken in-turn would have been better for it.
Old 2012.02.20, 05:26 PM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Dynamite In is pretty darn neat! (Even if a one time watch affair) Don't be hatin!
Old 2012.02.20, 05:40 PM   #10
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You obviously didn't fork out for it ;-p