Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2010.06.10, 10:28 AM   #91
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

sparta
that's interesting news.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.12, 12:15 PM   #92
Nebularus

Nebularus is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Looks like 2/3rds of Blankey Jet City have got back together as a new band.

PONTIACS will release a new CD, and they'll perform something at the Fuji Rock Festival this year.

But there are a few unanswered questions:
Does the CD consist of remakes (like AJICO unveiling their own version of Pepin), entirely new songs, or both?
How much of the Fuji Rock Festival concert will consist of old songs? If there are any old songs, will the setlist weigh heavily on Blankey Jet City material, or will it be a balanced combination from Asai Kenichi's other bands as well?
How long will the new band remain intact?
Will any concert performance of theirs ever get recorded and officially sold? (doesn't seem to happen with Fuji Rock Festival performances).

Hopefully we'll get answers later this year.
Meanwhile it's too bad I won't be in Japan in July. This is BIG.

While I'm no BJC expert, without the original drummer, I can't imagine this will be such a big deal. To me, BJC was Nakamura and Asai (the bassist never really registered much of a presence) and without both of them together, this is just another one of the Asai's numerous side-projects.
Nebularus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.12, 12:35 PM   #93
SakeIt2Me

SakeIt2Me is headed in the right direction
Cool

Maybe it's my female-ness but I sure can't imagine BJC without Terui.
Ah, what am I saying I love them all. It won't be the same without Nakamura (or Asai's teenage piss'n'vinegar)...but Terui can scream too, he just has to think about it more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frP9o...os=itmj4ZBmtJ8

I won't be able to afford anything from the Pontiacs for a looong time, someone let us know how it sounds whenever you get your hands on their tunes, please?
Old 2010.06.12, 06:23 PM   #94
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

What excites me about this new collaboration is that if any new material is being produced, then it's more important that Asai hook up with Terui instead of Nakamura - if he had to choose between the two.

If you check the CD booklets, you'll see that Terui contributed more songwriting than anyone else throughout Asai Kenichi's entire portfolio (aside from Asai himself). Terui co-wrote quite a few of the songs, while some songs were written by him entirely. Many of those songs he was involved in happen to be among my favorites.
Old 2010.08.22, 08:17 AM   #95
Beltshumeltz

Beltshumeltz is headed in the right direction

I'm so happy. I think it's time for me to admit Asai Kenichi is now my favorite artist. I'd rather be stuck with his music on an island than Shiina Ringo at this point, mostly because he is so prolific and I like his songs more on average.

And today I'm even happier because I finally managed to find albums by another of his act, JUDE. I had albums from Asai Kenichi standalone, Sherbets, Blankey Jet City and AJICO, all of which are good in their own way and are different from each other... and each of them having multiple albums! And now I discover JUDE.

For people curious about him who want to sample his stuff, I would recommend these albums/songs to start:

Asai Kenichi - Chelsea (songs 1 to 4 are my favorites)
Sherbets - MAD DISCO (every song is awesome and special)
AJICO - Under the album Shinryoku, listen to 02 - Suteki na Atashi no Yume.mp3. It's Asai Kenichi style with a really good female voice by UA, a pop singer I think.

Other songs...
from the SHERBETS album NATURAL, songs 2 and 4 are great.
From the SHERBETS album Siberian Madness, song #1 Black Butterfly and song #4 are awesome.

I think Sherbets are my favorite act of his so far. I love so much stuff that I didn't list here, and there are about 10 albums just under that name.

His blankey jet city albums are more hard rock and I don't really know song names or have favorites. I just listen to them while playing first person shooters...
Beltshumeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.22, 10:47 AM   #96
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The good and bad thing about JUDE, for me, is that when I started listening to the music, I felt like I fully absorbed it right away. I felt like my subconscious immediately understood everything it could ever deduce about the music. For me JUDE was a phase where I instantly liked it, then got tired of it rather quickly.

SHERBETS takes a lot longer to chew on - particularly their MAD DISCO album. I've listened to that at least a hundred times without getting sick of it yet. Every once in awhile something like Under The Bed Blues will pop into my head, and I'll notice there's more layers and awesomeness to the song than I had already thought there were.

Black Butterfly was originally released by EMI on the Sekilala album (the "SHERBET" album without an S - when the band roster was different), then was later re-recorded for Siberian Madness even though Siberian Madness was released by a different label. I don't know how they got the rights to that, when they didn't manage to include Ghost (another really good acoustic song on Sekilala). Oh, and Hiwamari (performed at AJICO SHOW) is another Sekilala song. You would probably really like that album.

So you listen to Blankey Jet City while playing first-person shooters? Which ones? Hopefully none of the ones where you or your opponents might be sneaking around (like Counterstrike). I've got the id Software super pack on Steam, so basically all of the Dooms, all the Quakes, etc.. Maybe I should try Blankey Jet City with that.
Old 2010.08.22, 02:56 PM   #97
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

I've been curious about him for some time now, but I didn't respond to that feeling yet. So, would you recommend me his solo work to start with? Is there any substantial difference between his phases?

I downloaded Sphinx Rose some time ago, however I know there is always a risk that the latest works may not show that essence of the artist. I don't know if I'm being clear enough... anyway this very forum is an obvious example of what I mean.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.23, 09:11 AM   #98
Beltshumeltz

Beltshumeltz is headed in the right direction

For first person shooters, I mean fast-paced action ones like Unreal Tournament 3. The only sneaking around in UT3 is to use a tank and "silently" run over your opponents from behind

Carlx, I find that his work is very different from one album to the next, and especially from one "name" to the next. And I would recommend you start with MAD DISCO from Sherbets, and Chelsea from Asai Kenichi. They are VERY different. Once you get hooked on these, then it will become easier for you to experiment with his other stuff which takes longer to start liking, since you will surely be a fan by then Sekikala from Sherbet is also a good choice and is different from the others, and was also made a few years before the other Sherbets albums.

Also, I haven't found other solo albums of him that remind me much of Chelsea, I think it is the most unique one so far... You recognize the artist the most between his Sherbets/Kenichi albums. His Blankey Jet City albums are very different though and I don't like them as much. His AJICO albums are similar to Sherbets albums, but with a female singing.

Glathannus, I had the Sekikala album but thought it was from sherbetS with an S. I really liked it too. I prefer the newer Black Butterfly version though since on it I can at least fantasize to be playing and singing it alone to a girl given that there is only a guitar, no violin on it I don't know the meaning of the lyrics though. And Himawari is how I realized who AJICO was after I had downloaded their album and misplaced it. I instantly reconized Kenichi's style from this song, and from song #2 of their non concert album.
Beltshumeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.23, 12:39 PM   #99
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Another Ajico album would be so nice. <3 UA and Tokie. My main complaint about Asai's music is that his songs are often too long. Ajico didn't have this problem as there was always something interesting happening to keep the songs fresh. I know Benzie is credited for most of Ajico's compositions, but I hear UA's influence all over Fukamidori.
Old 2010.10.19, 09:22 PM   #100
Glathannus
True Final Boss

PONTIACS is coming out with a full album in November, and I didn't stumble upon any information about that until today. Turns out a lot of other CD Japan customers already knew (even though you can't request newsmail alerts specifically for artists who aren't in the shop registry yet), because the pre-order for the +DVD edition of this album is sold-out at CD Japan already.

The only way HMV Japan can still offer the +DVD edition isn't so much because the size of their inventory, but it's more because HMV knows this release is popular and they're capping customers at 2 copies each. I haven't noticed HMV Japan capping the buyer-quantity on anything I've been interested in since MoRA (two years ago), and I do remember CD Japan selling out on their pre-order availability more quickly than HMV Japan on that.

As far as I can tell, HMV Japan has never capped customers on a Asai Kenichi release before. Meanwhile, there are limited edition Asai Kenichi releases from before which haven't sold out yet, and they're still uncapped. I think there's simply a buying surge on a limited edition if that release corresponds with Asai Kenichi starting a new band. I remember the first-press of Kiken Sugiru selling out before the release date, and I remember the limited editions of Johnny Hell and Johnny Heaven selling out fairly quickly too, but none of his later solo-career stuff has disappeared. You can still buy the 2-disc edition of Deadly Hair, even though it's one of the best concert videos he's done since Interchange Coconuts (which I recently finally saw for the first time). Speaking of Interchange Coconuts...

For the Sphinx Rose tour, Asai Kenichi even hooked up with Shiino Kyoichi (from AJICO and sometimes JUDE - including the Interchange Coconuts concert DVD). The Sphinx Rose studio recordings also featured the entire roster of SHERBETS, even though it was a solo-career project. So I guess you could say Asai Kenichi likes to give his old associates (including Shiina Ringo and Masami Tsuchiya) opportunities in his latest projects, even if it's been 5 or 10 years since the last time they worked together.