Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.06.29, 01:21 PM   #281
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Awesome, thank you for the work!
Old 2008.06.29, 10:07 PM   #282
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Thankyou Jonny!
I really appreciate your translation work ()
Old 2008.06.30, 07:16 AM   #283
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
This is what I suspect about the KSK re-release, aside from the new version not being copy-controlled. It's probably true about the singles and B-Sides too, but that's a minor concern for me.

I fear that most western fans who haven't purchased the singles already, will unknowingly choose to bypass the culture of the singles, because "only albums are worth buying", and the B-Sides collection has an album-like quantity of songs. Among all the crazy tangents this guy goes off on, he paints a very good picture of the way B-Sides were meant to be.

More like, going.. going.....
GONE!
(check out all those Retail Availability links)
I read that article to which you posted the link (thank, by the way), and the guy does make some pretty valid points, as long as we stay within the relm of mainstream, major label music.

I don't think bands like Toe or Boris or Envy have any dillemas about which song is A-side or B-side, because they control the whole process.

That panorama is not so different from the rest of the world. Most record labels impose on the artists their own choice of what songs constitute as A-sides or B-sides. And B-sides are typically the most adventurous songs, because this has been a common practise since the vynil days (which is why they are called.... B-SIDES!).

In the end, it's not a bad thing to have albums that compile the b-sides.
Many people would go bankrupt trying to collect all the singles from their favourite artists.
Many record buyers act more as art collectors than "fans", buying singles only to bolster their prices on e-bay by resale.

In the end, everyone is to blame. Major labels, especially in japan, artificially inflate cd prices, because they want to exploit the artist's recordings as much as possible, often giving them as less as possible. people who buy records also often inflate prices on resale. Fans also have a mentality of "exclusivity", which means they create an artificial hierarchy in which he who has the most obscure singles is the biggest fan, and that artificial hierarchical status gives them some solace or comfort when they hardly get credit from the society for anything else they might have done.

And then, we add this to a situation when because of downloading, cd sales are on a decline. Result: we see cds being sold at an obscure shop at 5 yen a piece.

We see a million unsold copies of Rudebox by Robbie Williams being trashed and used for road pavements in China.

In the meantime, we see Radiohead giving their album for free, and selling a special ultra-costly edition with extra tracks.

Nine inch nails sells 4 highly experimental cds, partly for free or 5 dollars, with an ultra-costly edition to boot.

Sigur rós are doing the same thing with their new album.

Einsturzende Neubauten have a subscription method in which fans hear new demos and discuss them, often encouraging the band to exploit certain ideas they might not have considered previously. The musical result of these discussions is then supplied to subscribers.

In this panorama, A-sides and b-sides are becoming a diluted area.

As for shiina ringo, she is still operating within a major label mentality, and I'm surprised so many b-sides actually made it to this release.
It's not meant for "fans" in the collector's sense (they still have the original editions of the singles, and this does not dampen the value of their collection at all), but for more casual fans, the b-sides are in integral aspect of her overall career. She, more than most, used the b-side "slot area" to make several bold experiments like "Ringo Catalogue", for example.

So, in reviewing her work, the B-sides must be an integral part of a compilation. There are many other Japanese artists who have not done anything worthwhile in their B-sides.

The problem is, how much is this compilation gonna cost... but it's still easier than paying for all the indicidual singles by yourself.

so, you have expressed concern about the "singles" culture being lost, and I understand that. However, in iTunes, people often only buy the tracks they want, and not really albums as a whole. In the meantime, artists are finding new ways to present the bolder B-side-type material to the audience, in ways that don't necessarily involve the singles format. B-sides are not really disappearing, but the singles format is. They will just find a new vehicle besides singles, where they can insert "riskier" songs.

So, I don't think this compilation really "harms" the singles culture. It was already dying anyway, and this will not make much of a difference in my opinion.

As for me, i still haven't decided if I will buy this release or not...
Old 2008.06.30, 10:11 AM   #284
whitetap

whitetap is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I translated first two pages of the interview... 6 or so to go... :-P

http://shiinaringo.se/tenyearinterview.php

Thanks so much!
Old 2008.06.30, 06:38 PM   #285
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I translated first two pages of the interview... 6 or so to go... :-P

http://shiinaringo.se/tenyearinterview.php
Hey thanks a bunch! Its very interesting for me to read this. I hope you finish the rest! gambatte ne!

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
Old 2008.07.08, 08:52 AM   #286
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

shiina I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_aiLdOFMs

I had to say ...
Old 2008.07.08, 09:08 AM   #287
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by miffunevii View Post
shiina I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=cU_aiLdOFMs

I had to say ...
Ahh that was pretty nice to see :O
Old 2008.07.08, 09:46 AM   #288
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Amazing! OMG she looks precious...
Old 2008.07.08, 10:23 AM   #289
benkai ringo

benkai ringo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Amazing! OMG she looks precious...
And not just damn precious. Smoking hot too with that haircut! probs 2 miffunevii for providing the clip.
Old 2008.07.08, 10:36 AM   #290
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

It would seem the one benefit for old collectors, of all the B-Sides recently being compiled together, is that now there's finally a scorebook for the material. Looks like this focuses on the songs that got their own PVs, so there is a small amount of overlap between which songs are included in both of these books.