Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.09.15, 12:28 PM   #361
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Is he gone for good? Maybe he'll make a small appearance on tour or something.
with any luck, retired or bored his own ears to deaf.
Old 2014.09.15, 04:19 PM   #362
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The conclusion was that Jpop does a better job of appealing specifically to Japan where Kpop is happy to expand its appeal
This is also true of the Japanese film industry vs. South Korea's.

There is something about Shiina and accordions that just works
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh!!!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 04:57 PM   #363
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Nice honest review Jihad, I know how you cringe when you have to say anything somewhat positive about Shiina Ringo these days, but I do have to burst a bit of your bubble for a sec:

Speaking of things being jettisoned: Saito Neko. Good fucking riddance.
Saito Neko is on NOPPIN though...

I was then going to do the thing where I make a Beatles analogy to relate Shiina Ringo's originally giving these songs to other performers to release. "The Beatles gave 'I Wanna Be Your Man' to the Stones," I would say. "There's that demo of John singing 'Bad to Me'"I would point out. Then I would slam that no discerning listener ever wanted to hear Shiina's own renditions or would care. I would certainly not neglect that Shiina's original jettisoning of these songs shows just how much attachment she had to them to begin with.
If you had used this... I woulda said something on the lines of... "she didn't exactly give her songs to someone like The Stones, nope, she gave them to people like Chiaki Kuriyama" :-p AND/OR
"A lot of Ringo fans I know said quite frequently about songs she gave away "Cool song, but I wish Ringo had done it herself". So I think there would always be an interest in a project like this.

And then, going into the Kpop vs. Jpop thing (and not picking on you really, just adding some thoughts):
-I feel Ringo made the right decision by not going to the west. Look at all the other attempts like Utada Hikaru- what a fucking embarrasment. I know Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is doing alright now- but in the end, she's just a gimmick "OH WOW WEIRD JAPAN!" (which unforunately will probably happen to Perfume- aka the "serious" Nakata pop project)- just like Kpop will eventuate to be.
-If Kpop making compromises ("expands its appeal") for the west makes it lose (what LITTLE) identity it already had, is it really a good thing? When the hype dies down (and it will, no doubt) what is going to be left except a confused, muddled, and dated music industry? I suppose it got them an article on Pitchfork, so there is that :-p
-Which would you rather involve yourself with personally, Kpop industry where everything seems to be a carbon copy (even the big ones like PINK TAPE) of each other/western music from a decade ago or the Jpop industry that constantly is bringing out weird ass shit yet still labeling itself pop... I mean... wtf BisKaiden! I guess it all depends on your patience level/ability to take away your western/pop minded conventions. And whether or not you care what other people think is a big part of it too.

I may be totally off track but this whole Kpop thing is quite confounding- sure its 'cool' pop, but since when were boy/girl bands cool to like to serious music listeners?

I wanted to have this conversation elsewhere but I just got bombared with stanny responses from both sides of the argument and gave up on reading the responses. Hope it doesnt happen here :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.09.15 at 07:27 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 03:30 AM   #364
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I would certainly not neglect that Shiina's original jettisoning of these songs shows just how much attachment she had to them to begin with.
Jettisoning... perhaps you could have written something a little more neutral like "surgically removed these musical tumors", or "coughed up these sonic hairballs", or maybe "evacuated her bowels".

But in all seriousness, I don't think she only gifts replicants offers other artists material that she considers substandard. Some of the songs are quite good. Quite possibly, as many songwriters have done before, she realizes that a song is particularly well suited for a certain person.

And if you insist on jettisoning Saito Neko, how about concurrently jettisoning all the accordions in Japan, so that he can build a raft, float to shore, burn them, and do some more work with Ringo?
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 06:15 AM   #365
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

You guys really don't like the closer on this record?
Old 2014.09.16, 03:57 PM   #366
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The ending is too wussy for rock Ringo, too boring to be heartfelt.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.16, 06:46 PM   #367
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You guys really don't like the closer on this record?
Saizakizaka SHOULD have been the best song on here. Pure songwriting-wise it is the strongest and most beautiful song in the lineup. I (most likely am the only one out there) actually think this (and a few tracks on Doku Ichigo) are probably the best songs Ringo has penned in the period between SG and now. However, I feel the original version by Youko Maki takes the edge because of her frail vocals.

It's strange, that I enjoy most of the other songs on Reimportation because of Ringo's vocals being way better than the original versions, Saizakizaka seems to lose some of it's magic because of this.

I don't mean to say that the new accordian version is a terrible version, but it doesn't send shivers down my spine like the original piano arrangement. The new version also seems to have done away with the dynamic range of the original- the delivery is just too strong.

What a weird way to look at it, I know.
Old 2014.10.19, 09:51 PM   #368
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I agree with dg regarding Saizakizaka - preferred Maki Yoko's version for about the same reasons. She really needed to hit some Yume no ato / Bonsai hada highs for it to work for me.

Also agree wholeheartedly with Jihad's assessment of Ringo as pop though, to me, this was something that already started waaaay back from the inception of Jihen. I think she just realised that she doesn't need a separate unit to make the sort of music that she wants to make.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote