Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.09.11, 07:46 PM   #11
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

The first Japanese song I ever heard was Shiroi hada ni kuruu by Malice Mizer. It was so odd at first, sounded like opera and rock put together, plus more. The weirdest thing, though, was when I found out that their composer/guitarist was cross-dressing as a girl. I thought he was a chick for like a month!! It turned out this was from the period after Gackt, and I did not like the rest of the music from this era of theirs too much but this remained one of my favorite songs.

As I looked more into the band, I saw how they went through three different singers, Gackt being my favorite. Then I found out Gackt went solo after the band disbanded (this was around 2005, so they were disbanded for a few years already) and I got into his music. He's one of my favorite artists and was for a long time, until I discovered Shiina Ringo and the gang. But anyway, after Gackt I just went into many different groups, that stemmed from his general fan base area and most of them sucked which is surprising because I thought fans of his would like better music.

So, the main acts I like from japan are: SR/TJ obviously, Gackt, Malice Mizer, Bonnie Pink, Miyavi and so many others but those are the main ones.

As for genres, just rock and pop. I don't like too much japanese pop because a lot of it is just cutesy stuff, but I do enjoy Ayumi Hamasaki who have a variety of pop, although I mainly just like her classical and acoustic albums, I don't listen much to her main studio recordings, just every once in a while.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.11 at 07:56 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.11, 09:26 PM   #12
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

1. What was the first Japanese song you heard?

To get really anal about it, I suppose it was "My boyfriend is a pilot" from Robotech. Yes, that counts.

2. Which artists got you interested in finding out more about Japanese music?

Yoko Kanno. And Yoko Kanno.

3. Are there any genres of Japanese music or artists you particularly like?

No.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 02:49 AM   #13
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
The weirdest thing, though, was when I found out that their composer/guitarist was cross-dressing as a girl. I thought he was a chick for like a month!!
Did you think s/he was hot?
Old 2007.09.12, 03:08 AM   #14
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I didn't think he was hot but I thought he was pretty and I thought it was pretty bad ass that it was the girl in the band that wrote the awesome music and was able to dominate Gackt. But it was not so . This is what he looks like:

This is outside the band, though, modeling his clothing line he started but its basically how he dressed in the band.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 04:18 AM   #15
clakaz

clakaz is an asset to this community

Probably some lullaby song.

Sakura, sakura, tulip no hanaga, naranda, naranda...

hmmmm, Shiina Ringo?

Nakamori Akina is my guilty pleasure.
clakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 07:42 AM   #16
baboo

baboo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I didn't think he was hot but I thought he was pretty and I thought it was pretty bad ass that it was the girl in the band that wrote the awesome music and was able to dominate Gackt. But it was not so . This is what he looks like:

This is outside the band, though, modeling his clothing line he started but its basically how he dressed in the band.
That's the ugliest picture of Mana I've ever seen. He/she is so much hotter. I read somewhere that Mana prefer having people refer to him as "HER". DUH!

First J-music song I listened to: Doraemon theme.

First artist that get me into J-music: Go!Go!7188.

It's funny that I knew Go!Go!7188 few months after I heard Shiina Ringo and Tokyo JIhen's Shuraba for the first time. But the first impression was not so good so I ditched the chick for quite a long time and only darted back and forth between J-surf rock and J-punk like Go!Go!7188, Judy & Mary and very old J-rock like X-japan. I got back to SR and TJ stuff only after I fell in love with Izawa in Himitsu and Kabuki PV.

Other J-music I listen to.
1. Losalios: the sexiest and most brilliant female bassist on earth Tokie really makes Losalios and outstanding instrumental rock group from the rest
2. Bonobos: J-reggae
3. Kurahashi Yoeko: J-domestic pop, distinct female vocal
4. Ego-wrappin', Pe'Z, TSPO: I don't know why I lump them together
5. capsule: cute shibuya-kei
6. YUI: and everynight I cry in jealousy asking myself why such chick is so talented
baboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 10:03 AM   #17
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
hehe. I don't suppose that's portuguese for Japan...?
XD
Japan in portuguese is Japão
jaspion I only knew a few time ago that is justice+champion... anyway it's the worst tokusatsu name ever

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 10:42 AM   #18
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Video game music doesn't count so Ken Hirai's Love or Lust.

I was more into R&B back when I was getting into Japanese music so I'll also go with Ken Hirai on this one too. Ken led to Hikki who led to Glay who led to Luna Sea and that's that.

We've already established that I love Bonnie Pink and Luna Sea, but I also particularly like Japanese Eurobeat artists MAX and Folder 5. Orange Pekoe has also been one of my favorites after I acquired the Plastic Organic Music album years ago.
Old 2007.09.12, 01:12 PM   #19
redstuff

redstuff pleased at least somebody

I can't remember what the first Japanese music I heard was exactly, though it was more than likely just theme songs for anime like Evangelion (which I don't care for now, but I was *really* big into it back in the day). I had heard various artists through the interweb, like The Brlliant Green and I think some pop stuff. But the first artist I *really* got into, enough to shell out the ridiculous prices for the CDs, was Cocco. She was my favorite J-artist for years and years until SR dethroned her, but her work still has a big place in my heart (though she's not really into crazy/angsty stuff anymore, sigh). As for genres, I usually just stick to rock.
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.12, 04:07 PM   #20
haruhi-suzumiya

haruhi-suzumiya is headed in the right direction

I actually am not sure. That was a while ago...

Pizzicato 5, Fantastic Plastice Machine
Shiina Ringo (duh), Mean Machine, Aya Hirano, Mika Nakashima