Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.04.14, 01:40 PM   #1
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Artists Listening Habits

I wanted to create this thread for a long time, but never got around to do it.
So, what I want to ask is: what do you think musical artists listen to?
Does Shiina Ringo listen to her own songs? Does Ukigumo listen to his guitar skills? What about Radiohead? Or maybe The Beatles, did they listen to their own works of modern art?
We all assume that every english person that lived in the 60s (and later) heard and/or was addicted to some Beatles song. But what about the artists themselves? Didn't they listen to The Beatles? What a crime!
Sure, they listened when they performed live, but did they grab an iPod and shuffled all of Sgt. Pepper's tracklist, while living just like anybody else? Sure you understand the analogy with every other band.

I'm not really sure about the answer, that's why I'm asking. I know that when I make some artistic work, like a painting, a poem, a short-movie or anything else, I don't really want to see it many times (usually none). But I appreciate that other people do it. Which, however, doesn't make me want to watch it more than I did before.
Possibly because I just notice all the flaws and all the tricks I used, and because I see more of myself than any other person looking at my artistic work. And seeing myself in that way, a more intense way than watching a mirror, isn't something I'm so interesed in, for many reasons (maybe I'm afraid to admit my true self).
So, maybe, that's what happens with real artists, no? Also, it would make them a little bit egocentric, I guess...

What are your thoughts about this?

EDIT: Also, if you find a better title for this thread, please tell me :x
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.14, 02:22 PM   #2
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

I personally think that when the artist first start out, transitioning between being normal and being famous, they listen to other artists, much like a normal person. But I believe some artist stop listening to other music so they will not be influenced by it. I think some artist also continue to listen to others, because they like music.

But I think that a lot of artist would not listen to their own material, because skilled people tend to hear their own inperfections much clearer than we can. So they might not like listening to themselves. But I am not a major artist, so I no idea what they think, I am just guessing.

But I think the exception is, if the song had a strong emotional connection to the person, I believe they might listen to the song over and over. Perhaps if the song was about that lover they never could quite get, or the mother that died in their arms... I doubt people who do not write their own music/and or lyrics, I think their connection to the song is weaker.

Man wasn't my post random and clearly not well thought out

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.14, 02:44 PM   #3
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I have a feeling that Shiina Ringo listens to her own material quite a few times after the release, otherwise she could never be critical enough of the original arrangements to want them redone. The best artists are more critical of their own work than anyone else, like we might think KSK is fine, but maybe Shiina Ringo has since found a dozen things to nitpick about, that we'd never notice. The more you learn and mature, the more you think you were a fool in the past.
Old 2008.04.14, 03:47 PM   #4
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I have a feeling that Shiina Ringo listens to her own material quite a few times after the release, otherwise she could never be critical enough of the original arrangements to want them redone. The best artists are more critical of their own work than anyone else, like we might think KSK is fine, but maybe Shiina Ringo has since found a dozen things to nitpick about, that we'd never notice. The more you learn and mature, the more you think you were a fool in the past.
So true about shiina, she constantly goes back and redoes tracks that are new songs with the old song's theme. No way she could do that if she did not listen to her music alot. I bet she found more that a dozen things, Isn't ringo-hime a perfectionist obbessed with symmetry? I bet she lives a stressful life...

But I would say shiina is a special artist, she is beyond a common artist, she is a musical goddess. I am sure other "normal" artist go about things in different ways.

Old 2008.04.14, 04:23 PM   #5
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ Lies and slander against other musicians. Even Dir en grey goes back and changes songs up.
Old 2008.04.14, 04:25 PM   #6
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Well, since Ringo is human just like the rest of us, I'm sure she listens to music other than her own. I doubt she would close herself off to all "outside" music for fear of copying it, because a. that's weird and b. even when she's covering a song (outside of Papaya Mango) she stretches out the source material to such an unrecognizable point that one could almost mistake it for a Ringo original (otherwise she'd be a karaoke singer).

Ringo is very nitpicky and weird and I wouldn't be surprised if she admitted to having a raging case of the OCD. I'll bet she listens to her own albums quite a bit, agonizing over minuscule flaws she happens across (real or imagined, like Glath pointed out), wishing she'd done this or that differently. That really is the best kind of artist, though; any type of art can be improved in some way, and the artist that denies this or pretends it isn't true isn't living up to full potential.
Old 2008.04.14, 04:43 PM   #7
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
^ Lies and slander against other musicians. Even Dir en grey goes back and changes songs up.
Whoa tiger, I was not implying that shiina was the only one that goes and changes her songs. I was just saying that shiina is highly talented, and highly obbsessive, so that might be the reason for her re-releases. I was just saying her obbsessiveness might drive her to listen to her songs more and more, and potentially finding a new thing wrong each listen. I do not in anyway believe there is a corelation between the amount an artist listens to his music and the amount of re-releases/changes they make. I do not listen to dir en gray, are they comparable to shiina at all? And just because shiina is awesome, it does not take anything away from any other artist. It is just shiina is better (in my opinion).

Old 2008.04.14, 04:52 PM   #8
Maou

Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
I do not listen to dir en gray, are they comparable to shiina at all? And just because shiina is awesome, it does not take anything away from any other artist. It is just shiina is better (in my opinion).
lol No. Dir en grey is metal/nu-metal/hard rock. I think they're fantastic, but their music is in no way as complex as Shiina Ringo's. I just wanted to point out that even some of the shallowest of artists care about their work if they wrote it. Enough to go back and rewrite to sound better.
Old 2008.04.14, 05:00 PM   #9
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I just wanted to point out that even some of the shallowest of artists George Lucas cares about their work if they wrote it. Enough to go back and rewrite to sound better piss off older fans.
We sure do have a "Arrrgghhh! Han shoots FIRST!" crowd among the Shiina Ringo fanbase, don't we?
Old 2008.04.14, 05:16 PM   #10
Maou

OMG! A Sci-Fi reference I get! Yay! Han does shoot first.