Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2010.03.10, 05:02 AM   #61
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
it's so warm and happy and unpretentious that it makes me want to go out and fall in love and have a reason to sing this song.
This! I feel the same way about this song. And I'm not a fan of YUKI, I just thought I had to check out something new, and was pleasantly surprised.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.10, 10:49 AM   #62
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I just got round to listening to the new album once through, and I really like it (as if there were any doubt!) - I'm pretty sure I like it more than WAVE and joy, and about as much as her first 2 efforts.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 05:14 AM   #63
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

I gave the album a listen and I'm quite satisfied, there are only two songs I really don't like, but as a whole 'Ureshikutte Dakiayou' is pretty enjoyable.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 12:51 PM   #64
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

awww, you guys are making me excited! the thing I love about YUKI's releases is there isn't an english speaking forum devoted entirely to her, so you can really own the releases as they come out, just kind of experience them as they are. cdjapan was really late with the shipping of this album, so my copy still hasn't managed to arrived, hopefully tomorrow. I am excited! My only problem with YUKI's recent albums, moreso Wave, is that they can tend to feel like the singles slapped together with the b-sides and an extra 3 tracks. Wave feels so uneven to me because there is only 1 or 2 non-single tracks on that album that have the strength of the singles. Even though this album has the most recent singles, she left Wonderline and the most recent single's b-side off, plus her b-sides to Kisha ni Notte and Rendezvous were so strong, I'm really looking forward to the new tracks.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 06:25 PM   #65
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the thing I love about YUKI's releases is there isn't an english speaking forum devoted entirely to her, so you can really own the releases as they come out, just kind of experience them as they are.
If it's great that there isn't a dedicated English forum for YUKI,
then would it make you even happier if there also wasn't a dedicated English forum for Shiina Ringo?
Old 2010.03.11, 07:22 PM   #66
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Y'know, part of me agrees with that sentiment as on a forum like this (or any other) you can end up with more information than you wanted and therefore tainting the surprise and mystery of things.

Though you can elect to stay away from these sources of information that's pretty hard to do in practice if you use the net a lot.

I've had the plots of some games spoiled because of it.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 09:34 PM   #67
kuro_neko

while I get the point of your statement glath, I think it ignores the critical fact that Ringo fans aren't like *any* other fans out there for any other artist. we are varied, eclectic, intelligent, opinionated, and passionate. we have members here who enjoy every other possible type/genre of music out there, and as such, there is NO WAY we are ever going to be unanimous on any issue. with an artist like YUKI, the fans are a bit different. they tend to be more pop-oriented, upbeat, and generally sunny about every release. I don't think I'd be very interested in that type of forum, where there is only praise, and not much discussion, for each release. It makes for a boring forum. This forum might be frustrating at times, but it is never boring. besides, in the age of digital overexposure, it is truly a rare treat to receive an album without having heard any samples of tracks or read any reviews of previously unreleased material. Most of us are literally going into it in the dark, which is the same reason why most of us here wanted to download leaks in the first place, it allows us an honest and unbiased look at an album. that is a rare and nice treat.
Old 2010.03.12, 01:41 PM   #68
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

I'm only up to "Chinese Girl", and it's a very enjoyable, laid-back album. It's waaay better than WAVE.

The only problem so far is the chorus of "Present" sounding A LOT like the Strokes' "Barely Legal".
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.12, 09:26 PM   #69
kuro_neko

this album is interesting! I haven't had enough time to develop an opinion, but it is definitely a return to a Prismic/Commune-fluid album format. Joy and especially WAVE were sometimes a bit too uneven in having strong singles and then a bunch of leftover tracks tacked on to make a release. You could probably mix some of the new tracks into a playlist and not even know this is post-WAVE YUKI, there is a nice fusion or organic rock into contemporary styles here.

from a packaging point of view, this album puts Ringo and everyone else to shame. The limited edition comes housed in a really thick enameled box with high quality photographs embossed on the front and back. inside is a double jewel case housing the cd/dvd and a booklet, at least 40 pages, full of photographs. the concept for the artwork is YUKI in various poses/locations, hugging an invisible person (the title refers to holding someone lovingly). the concept of the album itself has to do with the passing of a single day, so the booklet opens with a short passage by YUKI describing a single day in her life, followed by at least 30 good photographs, and ending in the lyrics and credits. the general effect is a true concept album, art from top to bottom. you have an entire art book of photographs, a preface/introduction written by YUKI, the album itself, the album's music videos, and an exclusive conceptual dance video once more illustrating the themes of the album. if YUKI isn't anything else, she is at least thorough.

the dvd itself has all 4 music videos for this era's singles plus an exclusive video titled Dance Dance Dance which features YUKI dancing to Renai Moyou. This itself is almost worth the price, it had me smiling ear to ear. It starts with her warming up in a library, doing ballet steps against a row of books and humming, then cutting to her in an old school 1920's-style Circus-looking gymnasium, where she proceeds to go completely insane. She either was classically trained in ballet and jazz, or trained really hard for this release, but either way, she had a professional choreographer, and the video itself puts Ringo's dynamite to shame. what can't YUKI do? it boggles my mind.

once I listen a few more times I'll update with thoughts, but right now I'm really enjoying the non-single tracks.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.03.12 at 09:30 PM.