Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2012.04.23, 06:08 AM   #81
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

野田氏作詞、椎名作曲の楽曲を数曲、書き下ろし、歌手役の深津が歌うシーンもある
My Japanese skill is pretty much nonexistent, but based on the Chinese characters -- yes SR wrote the music for a number songs for the play by Noda Hideki. If I guess correctly, the Sports musical (スポーツ音楽劇) is titled: 'Egg' (「エッグ」or『卵』).
Old 2012.04.23, 08:03 AM   #82
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

I like the song now. Doesn't sound like Biyori to me anymore.

I don't know what to say honestly. I don't think the song is the best re-break out though. It needs a PV real bad.
Old 2012.04.23, 02:23 PM   #83
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by LoBFCanti View Post
I like the song now. Doesn't sound like Biyori to me anymore.

I don't know what to say honestly. I don't think the song is the best re-break out though. It needs a PV real bad.
I don't think it's intended to be a rebreak-out, otherwise they'd release a physical single. Which is weird actually because I think ATARU did a lot better in the ratings (being a primetime show) than Carnation did.
Old 2012.04.24, 07:36 AM   #84
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by D.K.Liu View Post
My Japanese skill is pretty much nonexistent, but based on the Chinese characters -- yes SR wrote the music for a number songs for the play by Noda Hideki. If I guess correctly, the Sports musical (スポーツ音楽劇) is titled: 'Egg' (「エッグ」or『卵』).
椎名林檎、野田秀樹の新作舞台に曲提供
野田秀樹氏の新作舞台「エッグ」(9月5日~10月28日、東京芸術劇場)に、椎名林檎が楽曲を数点書き下ろすことが決定いたしました。

Is what is written on Kronekodow. So yeah, it is confirmed at least. And I'm guessing if it's a musical then it's gonna be her forte (more broadway perhaps)...
Old 2012.04.24, 12:00 PM   #85
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't really know what to think about ringo nowadays

Once she give us great songs (konya wa karasawagi), but before we have an average song, not great but not bad either (carnation), four songs for chiaki including two terrible good song and two others terribly bad... and right now, this b*llsh**.

So are we obliged to think that we have to consider the quality of next ringo work. Either something absolutely great, or something not deserving anything at all?

PS: notice that was a rhetorical question.
Old 2012.04.24, 12:14 PM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

does anyone know anything about the playwright?

I mean last time she did work for a play/musical, we got Tamatebako soooooo yeah, not sure on that front.

I don't mind the new song, it doesn't feel too much like TJ to me. I think it is inevitable any contemporary rock song Ringo does will be compared to Jihen because that is what they did, but at least in this new song there is no jazz element and its pretty straight forward rock. The melody is straight jpop, but considering its for a tv show, I'm not surprised. If anything Ringo has shown she knows her audience, and when asked to write songs she is almost always successful in penning songs that match the target demographic and sell well....so I guess we just have to take them as they come.

unfortunately if everyone keeps hiring her to write music for their various efforts, I doubt Ringo will end up with much initiative for a solo record. she needs a little hiatus and recovery time to remember what left without jihen was like.
Old 2012.04.24, 07:30 PM   #87
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It's interesting that the more positive comments being made are from older fans... ones not known for liking Tokyo Jihen as much. Not just here, by my other usual haunts too (jps, last.fm, msn friends etc). My sneaking suspicion that a new (nu? :-p) breed of haters has appeared may be more valid than just being a thought of mine- I speak of course of the people who are bitter about Tokyo Jihen disbanding. Could this be a sign that Ringo is slowly returning to the sound of yore? Or is it the general rejoice of the TJ-"haters" who are being blind-sighted? Maybe I'm just thinking too much.

Now, I in no way think that this new single is a great song. Nor do I feel it bad enough to be calling it her worst song ever. I would hope that this song is going to be a digital song and never be heard of again on a studio release, but after the pattern of recent years- I guess it may appear in a different form alongside Carnation if it indeed does have to be on the next LP.

This is a very interesting period for Ringo. Whether she chooses to go full out jpop/rock is yet to be seen. Either way, whatever she does, it will no doubt be divisive/won't please everyone. It would be nice if it did- but face it, it's not gonna happen. But I'm cool with that. (I have questions floating around like Would people love if she did pure rock? OR Would she be seen as a cop-out if she did go back to rockin'? etc). I'm looking forward to the ride.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.04.24 at 07:54 PM.
Old 2012.04.24, 09:31 PM   #88
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

deadgrandma, even though i'm a new fan i'm not bitter about TJ's disband at all and much preferred solo Ringo. it's true that I prefer Ringo's more jazzy and orchestral stuff but I think the new song is her worst not because it's rock but because the songwriting itself is simply bad. what I think made Ringo stand apart from the rest is her fusion of the rock sound with a more jazzy songwriting and the new song lacks all this
Old 2012.04.25, 12:02 AM   #89
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The point is this song remind me of all "basicallistic songwritting" radio-oriented that we can find in any standard artist in Japan. We can find gimmicks of ringo sometimes (actually, these are the - only and slight - evidence of ringo involvement), but just between other gimmick far more casual...

I'm not just denying the song, but the fact that Ringo bring us the worst or the best with a kind of simple shift. It's bewildering. Hopefully, this is just a phase.
Old 2012.04.25, 10:19 PM   #90
Lime

Lime pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by teattum View Post
The point is this song remind me of all "basicallistic songwritting" radio-oriented that we can find in any standard artist in Japan. We can find gimmicks of ringo sometimes (actually, these are the - only and slight - evidence of ringo involvement), but just between other gimmick far more casual...

I'm not just denying the song, but the fact that Ringo bring us the worst or the best with a kind of simple shift. It's bewildering. Hopefully, this is just a phase.
Lots of artists, sort of run out of gas, or get inconsistent or just bad as their careers go on. They try to reinvent themselves and fail, or try to do the same thing and get stale (Bjork, ACDC), or don't know exactly what they want to do and produce mixed results (Ringo).

Paul McCartney after the Beatles, Nine Inch Nails after like Downward spiral. Radiohead with TKoL (I bought the collectors edition, and ugh!).
These are just my opinion ofcourse, but my favorite artists tend to run out of ideas (or die ) after so many albums/songs.

As for the song, it's very typical, and imo a good pure jpop song and seems like it would be a very good opening to a show (which is it's target). I could debate whether Ringo should be doing this or not. But, I think this song fits it's purpose.

Last edited by Lime : 2012.04.26 at 12:52 AM.
Closed Thread