Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2010.06.01, 10:42 AM   #11
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

yay!!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2010.06.01, 11:59 AM   #12
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I really want to hear how they do Kimaru live.
I used to skip that song every single time I put on
the album. I still don't think it's very good, but what
they do on it is interesting.
You're just fuckin' with us, right?

Debating on the 9/8 Blu-ray. Can't say I'm too interested in the performance, but I want to support the Blu-ray in hopes of an Electric Mole Special Edition.
Old 2010.06.01, 01:14 PM   #13
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
ummm....no?
why, what's up?
Old 2010.06.01, 06:26 PM   #14
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

BLU-RAAAAAAAAY

Actually, I agree with him. It's only been recently that I started like Kimaru, when I first got the album it came across more as "ridiculous" than "epic". In the beginning it seemed only like Uki's failed attempt at creating something powerful, but I've been warming up to it.

I'm looking forward to the entire tracklist, especially the hometown specials. I don't know which ones they'll include. If they include "Calling You" I think I'd be happy though. I was curious about the Elvis cover until I realized it was Ukigumo singing. I also want to hear "Sweet Spot" live. I'd love to hear a truly R&B version of that song, with classical guitar, hip hop beat, and maybe even acoustic piano. Even if that never happened, it'd be cool if Hata played an electronic drumkit at least once, though. Maybe loaded with some vinyl hits?

On a side note: I don't really see the point of wanting an Electric Mole blu-ray since it was recorded using standard definition cameras. Even if it comes out on DVD, it'd be the same quality it was before, unless they created new visuals of some sort. Wouldn't it be awesome if they animated the entire thing, or had TJ film the whole thing over again just for the HD visuals?
Old 2010.06.01, 06:54 PM   #15
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm gradually warming up to Sports, and somehow I think a concert this soon would mess with me even if the reproduction were great, because the "visuals" I mentally associate with the music are currently left to my imagination (I've made it a habit to listen to Sports only in a dimly-lit room). You could make this argument about any concert relating to any album, but I haven't cared this much about the "daydreaming potential" of any SR/TJ release before Sports.

I will probably end up purchasing the DVD even if I also purchase the Blu-Ray, simply because Blu-Ray isn't exactly a mature format yet, and we have yet to see a rich disassemble/reassemble culture with Blu-Ray like we already have with DVD.
Old 2010.06.01, 08:00 PM   #16
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't think I'll be forking out the extra money for the blu-ray, especially since I'll be buying Spa & Treatment at the same time. I haven't listened to Sports in a while, so I'm not all that excited. But I'll still buy it anyway..
Old 2010.06.02, 08:13 AM   #17
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
On a side note: I don't really see the point of wanting an Electric Mole blu-ray since it was recorded using standard definition cameras. Even if it comes out on DVD, it'd be the same quality it was before, unless they created new visuals of some sort. Wouldn't it be awesome if they animated the entire thing, or had TJ film the whole thing over again just for the HD visuals?
I think you guys have posted the first negative comments on Kimaru that I've ever seen.

Anyway, the point of wanting a EM Blu-ray goes beyond a pretty picture. With a Blu-ray we'd get better audio quality and the entire setlist would fit this time. I still want the missing tracks to get an official release of some sort. =(
Old 2010.06.02, 08:30 AM   #18
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

the point of wanting a EM Blu-ray goes beyond a pretty picture. With a Blu-ray we'd get better audio quality and the entire setlist would fit this time. I still want the missing tracks to get an official release of some sort. =(
Although it doesn't go against the technical specifications of Blu-Ray to include a high quantity of standard definition video, in actual industry practice this never seems to happen with anything other than Bonus Features. Somehow, companies think they have a "responsibility" to at least upscale a standard definition master before putting it on the disc as the Main Feature (which takes up more disc space even though there's no additional real data). Upscaling should be the responsibility of the player instead of the studio, but if EMI is just as stupid as everyone else, then that's what they'd do, and there still wouldn't necessarily be enough room for the full concert on one disc.

We can always dream, though.
I would buy an Electric Mole Blu-Ray for the audio at least.

Maybe in the future they'll offer us more substantial visuals than "motion graphics" when they release another studio album in 96kHz/24bit.

*edit*
Now that I think about it, Blu-Rays don't have layer-change problems (even if there are multiple layers - there are protocols in-place to preload otherwise-laggy sections of the disc), so EMI should never have to "pull a Himitsu"* again unless they are trying to make the setlists match between the Blu-Ray and DVD releases. If a Blu-Ray setlist ever has one or two more songs on it than the corresponding DVD release of the same concert, it may have more to do with layer-changing than disc space or marketing bullshit. George Lucas doesn't give a damn about layer-changes, and just look at how the Star Wars Episode II DVD turned out - you get this noticeable lag while a spaceship is flying toward a planet (at least on the NTSC version - I dunno if you PAL folks among our memberbase can relate).

*: To "pull a Himitsu" is to exclude content from the video on the basis that a layer-change would interfere with the playback of the song-to-be-excluded or some other song being "pushed into the middle where the layer-change resides" from the presence of content-to-be-excluded.
Old 2010.06.02, 09:28 AM   #19
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh, wait!
Actually, I meant, Ikiru, that's why I said I skipped it
when "i put the album on."
Sorry. Kimaru is badass.
Ikiru, to me, is fake hustle (as mark jackson says).
It's too forced and the melody isn't very sweet. I figure
i felt as some of you felt when Variety came out. After hearing that,
the second song, and the beginning of season sayonara, I wanted to
kill myself. I think the second track is the most generic
sounding song they've ever done. Whatever the problems with
variety, I think they at least were able to keep interesting and
unique sounds.

On the DVD, I feel a bit like Glath does. I haven't been recreating a specific
environment for listening to the album, but the images from the lives
do stick with me, and I don't like what they're doing in the SPORTS shows.
I don't listen to Variety much anyway, but when I do, I remember their outfits
in the show, and they seemed so trashy to me for the most part.
Old 2010.06.02, 09:38 AM   #20
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I wonder if the Blu-ray will be proper high definition source or just an upscale?
Closed Thread