Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.07.23, 11:22 AM   #431
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Anne Hathaway was one of the best bits of this movie.

I enjoyed the movie but...

[SPOILERS!!] - don't read further if you don't wanna be spoiled.

- Bane's role was almost tangential. I just didn't care very much for him, or found myself particularly intimidated

- I noticed the limp inconsistency, as well, but whatever.

- Of COURSE the most obvious European had to be the villain, right? About the halfway mark my friend was totally nudging me and going "The French chick is very fishy" and lo and behold!

- Her death was, as mentioned, unintentionally hilarious.

- Second Wayne/Kyle kiss was unexpectedly a highlight of the film; people in the cinema I was in literally cheered out loud.

I think I'd enjoy this a lot more (and I already do like it a lot, tbh) if I had watched this in the context of the entire trilogy (i.e. perhaps all 3 films at one shot), rather than as a standalone, and then measuring it up to TDK, which really left me feeling all fucked up in the end.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.23, 12:09 PM   #432
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Anne Hathaway was good, and I'm not a particularly big fan of hers. Even when she's naked.
Old 2012.07.23, 09:05 PM   #433
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

My biggest takeaway from TDKR: it totally should've been called "The Caped Crusader." I can imagine a studio exec telling Nolan to somehow work "Dark Knight" into the title.

Anne Hathaway was a great Catwoman ("better than Halle Berry," for whatever amount of weight that pulls). I think I still prefer Michelle Pfeiffer, but it's been years since I've seen Batman Returns. At the very least I pulled up her "transformation" scene, and can't say that anything Anne Hathaway did in TDKR struck me at this level:

And one spoiler:

I thought the John Blake = Tim Drake thing was obvious, but not everyone who saw it thinks so. Either way the Robin reveal was easy to predict by the end.

The rest was typical Nolan fare, I guess. Still can't direct a good action sequence....

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Batmans punchline when he faces Bane in the finale "NO, I came back to stop you". Good one, Batman.
I'll admit that I let a laugh escape at that

That line was so ridiculous that I got the girl next to me laughing, too.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.24, 02:55 PM   #434
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^ I agree with everything Most Curious said. Pfeiffer nailed the part and in that movie you really feel the oppressed environment she works under and why she'd snap and turn into a skin-tight-leather-wearing masked vigilante.

Anne Hathaway wasn't bad, just not given enough to do. She has this one speech where she tells Bruce she hates rich people, and here and there I thought she was gay, but those traits just got flung away and she turns into The Girl Who Bruce Can Settle Down With Because the Other One Died.

And yeah, Nolan can't really put together a good action scene. His movies are strictly about narrative urgency----the need to get from one point to the next in the most efficient way possible. The Prestige (and bits of Insomnia) were the exception.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.06, 06:06 AM   #435
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I hate the Catwoman suit in Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer looks like she should be wearing a ball gag the entire film, or maybe just go all the way to moonlighting as The Gimp from Pulp Fiction.

One interesting thing that struck me after watching TDKR (only seen it once so far), in regards to the trilogy as a whole, is that The Dark Knight actually seems detached from the other two films and the narrative itself, in a sense. Not to say that the same themes aren't present, but in both Begins and TDKR, the driving force is the League of Shadows and its ideals/motives, however hamfisted. It doesn't make TDK any less of a movie or inappropriate by any means, just the odd one out and somewhat of a curiosity.

How awesome was Cillian Murphy's appearance?

Honestly, the pseudo-science (a hallmark of the Nolanverse) didn't bother me nearly as much as the balls-to-the-wall pacing and overzealously dramatic sountrack, even during simple dialogue scenes.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.07, 06:11 PM   #436
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Seen it.

All these plot twists are seriously telegraphed miles away. As a lifelong comic Batman fan, I was never surprised once in the entire movie (except for one aspect of the ending)

There is plenty of spotty plot though, and some great acting and some bad acting.

I'll have to think more about thematic analysis. I'm afraid it didn't QUITE complete the the themes that Batman Begins set out to do.

I was highly critical of pre-release buzz of Hathway, but I actually liked Selina Kyle! (Who is never referred to as Catwoman in-movie!)

@Maou
Have you seen Rachel Getting Married? Hathawy palys against type in what could be an obvious indie Oscar grab but ends up being one of my favorite movies of all time.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.17, 12:35 PM   #437
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Paranorman <3
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.18, 02:33 AM   #438
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Expendables 2...
Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis, Lundgren, van Damme, Li, and so on.

Looks like a boring movie right.

Enter Chuck Norris!!
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.31, 08:52 AM   #439
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I think I just watched the stupidiest movie of all time
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg img_1012162_27025480_0.jpeg (66.0 KB, 55 views)
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.08.31, 04:44 PM   #440
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ it really is a shame that Mike Judge released something so pitiful.

Anyway, to change subject completely:

For those who might be interested, Sakuran is getting the (long overdue) Blu Ray treatment:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TCBD-103

If I get it, I'll wait till Third Window (UK company) press it (and they no doubt will), they are really top of their game when it comes to Blu Rays- particularly of Asian films. It's not a great movie, but I think it would still be a treat to see in HD.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.08.31 at 04:48 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote