Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.07.25, 08:45 AM   #51
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Honnou is totally G-rated compared to Lady Gaga!
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.26, 10:04 AM   #52
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

The video for Honnou is definitely 99.9% of the reason why sometimes when you tell Japanese people you're a Ringo fan, they wrinkle their nose and go "Really? She's weird..."

It is controversial.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.06, 07:21 AM   #53
sanhedrin

sanhedrin pleased at least somebody
Default RDR

Robi Draco Rosa. (a/k/a "Robbie Rosa" and just "Draco Rosa")

He started out making bland feel-good pop as a member of Menudo in the 80s, but wanted to write his own songs so he left the group. After a couple of fairly mainstream, decent if generic albums he broke big with Vagabundo - an experimental, aggressive, dark pop/rock album that one might consider the Spanish KZK, an album that in the Hispanic Rock community is considered as important culturally as Nevermind was in the US. (Not that they sound similar, they just had similar levels of cultural impact) It sounds kind of like... Prince, Queens of The Stone Age, and Los Lobos at their most experimental (think Kiko or the Latin Playboys albums) all mashed together. He's also written and produced hit songs for other artists - most notably "Livin' La Vida Loca" (which pretty much guaranteed he'd never have to work another day in his life...) - plus, he's a household name in Spanish-speaking countries but outside of that barely anyone's ever heard of him. So, yeah, he'd be my "Western Equivalent" I guess.

As to English-speaking (or at least -performing) equivalent... I dunno. I don't get the Bjork comparisons, honestly. Bjork's music is far more avant-garde. Shiina mixes and plays with genres and isn't easy to pigeonhole, but Bjork, more often than not lately, is entirely outside genre. There are moments of similarity, sure - the playfulness of "Overanxiety" on KZK is kind of reminiscent of some of B's earlier stuff, and the dark intensity of "Bonsai Hada" from the new album wouldn't have been out of place on Selmasongs. But overall, no, I don't get a connection between the two, other than they're both women making interesting outside-the-norm music. Like someone said, might as well compare her to Kate Bush (which might, in fact, be a better comparison overall...) - or Diamanda Galas, for that matter. Well, okay, maybe not Galas.
sanhedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 07:36 AM   #54
wilson

wilson pleased at least somebody

Firstly thanks HEDOfloe to have become known to me St Vincent. I didn't know her so now i love it.

i dunno understand the comparison between Shiina Ringo and Gall????!!!! i think France Gall would never be the same without "les sucettes" so "les sucettes" were written by the genius modern poet Serge Gainsbourg. He could take whoever for this song. (maybe sexual feeling lol)

And Björk is One. i'm agree with sanhedrin:
Bjork's music is far more avant-garde
She's unique but in the same way, Shiina Ringo too. That's the only comparison i see.

The video for Honnou is definitely 99.9% of the reason why sometimes when you tell Japanese people you're a Ringo fan, they wrinkle their nose and go "Really? She's weird..."

It is controversial.
why?

PS: How do you insert the member name in the quote??
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.13, 12:21 AM   #55
clowezra

clowezra is headed in the right direction

I despise Bjork comparisons tbh. Comparing SR to Bjork is like comparing Madonna to a plank of wood. At least SR tries to make her music sound remotely different in each album

Either way, personally, I can't compare Shiina to anyone-I personally haven't heard artists that are similar to her.
Old 2009.08.13, 02:10 AM   #56
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ringo is a only species in the world, does not have equal….
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.13, 06:26 AM   #57
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

SR : Bjork = bad analogy

Madonna : plank = fair analogy
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.13, 06:47 AM   #58
wilson

wilson pleased at least somebody

I despise Bjork comparisons tbh. Comparing SR to Bjork is like comparing Madonna to a plank of wood. At least SR tries to make her music sound remotely different in each album
loool i think clowezra doesn't like Björk! ^^

come'on, i'm agree there's no comparisons but saying Björk's albums are all the same, is very ridiculous. Listen To Vespertine and Medulla or Homogenic, you'll see that each albums are different. I can understand you don't like dis Icelandic singer but be a little bit objective.

Each Björk's albums are a Concept even if it's "bad".
wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.12, 01:32 PM   #59
憂い菩薩

憂い菩薩 is headed in the right direction

So, a year or so ago I found out about Janelle Monae through this thread, and since then her new album has come out, and I have to say that I'm still calling her Black Shiina in my head The ravenous appetite for genre-mixups, the at times oddly screeching and at other times quite soothing vocals, even to song comparisons (though I listen to music oddly, according to all my friends).

Mushrooms and Roses, my favorite song on the album, has the leaping, wailing guitar SR used in Shuukyou during the chanting part, but to (in my opinion) much more satisfying ends. The first time I heard the song I was like 'This is exactly what I wanted to hear during that verse in Shuukyou!' and I got re-hooked on this chick.

edit: Can't remember how to embed videos, so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_daZ57HEOU&feature=fvst

I may be getting a Janelle Monae tattoo soon to accompany my Tokyo Jihen arm
憂い菩薩 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.14, 03:26 AM   #60
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

I've heard some Bjork stuff and I really can't compare them, seriously, all I hear is someone who tries to be weird with no reason, apparently.. Some of her arranges might be good, but her music has nothing from other world.. they are not good enough, as for the lyrics I don't know, they could be good, I've never really paid attention to most of them... I can't see similarities at all :S

I heard Janelle Monae album yesterday, I liked some of the songs, but the others probably need a few more listens, I like the album's atmosphere but I can't see similarities between their (Janelle and Ringo) music, yet... but I think they treat their music in a similar way

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote