Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.11.01, 11:44 PM   #1
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts
Default blu-spec cds?

thoughts?

I noticed there are a couple releases that I own which have been rereleased in this format, which I am not too aware of but apparently is a higher quality or truer sound due to the cd being recorded with a different type of laser, blue I think, which is similar to blu-ray. the enhancement in quality is thus during the production of the physical cd and said cd is compatible with all regular cd players. I haven't heard a release in this format but I have at least one album I am considerably buying...any one have an opinion on this, Glath?
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.01, 11:58 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I've posted about Blu-Spec CDs before. I already own 2 of them, I've ran some highly scientific tests on them, and they're nothing special. It's just like gold discs - they have the same 1s and 0s on them as any other audio CD.

The material or craftmenship of the CD doesn't change how much information is on the CD. As long as the CD is abiding by the standards of CD players, it will never have more than 80 minutes of audio, and in 44.kHz/16bit resolution. The audio doesn't become higher resolution, or start making better-use of the existing resolution, just because the CD is easier to read. That's really all a Blu-Spec disc is - an easy-to-read CD with the same amount of information on it as any other CD.

Don't bother repurchasing any music just to get it on Blu-Spec, or SHM-CD. I only bother buying them if it's for music I don't already have, because usually they come with cardboard sleeves and/or bonus DVDs.

I've noticed they are now becoming a package deal where on newer releases, you can't get one (cardboard sleeve or bonus DVD) without simultaneously buying the other (Blu-Spec or SHM-CD). It's basically a way for record labels to jack up the prices of limited editions. Now you're not only paying for a bonus DVD, but your CD is also extra special (in theory). So instead of paying $4 more, now you're paying $7 more to go from the Regular to the +DVD Limited. You have to watch out for this bullshit because the record labels are only now starting to do it, but I can foresee it becoming an industry norm.