Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2012.12.13, 10:28 AM   #461
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I agree; it seems odd to single out Basterds as the one that put people over the edge. Death Proof should have taken care of that. But more people have seen Basterds, I guess.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think QT's movies get better and better with each one. My favorite is still Jackie Brown, but Kill Bill is the bigger film, Death Proof a bit more personal than Kill Bill, and Basterds thematically deeper than all of them. Each new film is somehow "more" than all of the previous ones. That's why I can't wait for Django.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.13, 03:06 PM   #462
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

My specific problem with Inglourious Basterds is it's ending. Apparently Aldo Raine was originally written to be played by Tarantino himself, and the whole "This is my masterpiece" smash cut to "Quentin Tarantino" in big letters thing just makes me want roll my eyes.

I knew Tarantino was an egoist, but I think that just took it too far.

The rest of the film is excellent though.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.13, 05:50 PM   #463
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Half of your issue isn't in the movie. The "masterpiece" stuff...well, lets put it this way: all the stylized stuff in the movie is Quentin Tarantino breaking the screen saying "hey everyone, this is my story! Tarantino" He makes sure you know its him saying everything in the movie. So of course he'd end the movie saying that.
I'm not saying thats not a reason not to like it, he's heavy handed at it and >opinion, but why start getting bothered at the very end?
Old 2012.12.13, 06:26 PM   #464
TurtleFu

Right, that's why I said the rest of the movie was excellent. It's just the ending I absolutely loathe, and it's so heavy-handed it kind of ruins repeat viewings of the movie.

I know an artist should be able to be separate from their work, but there's no reason why I would want to spend money and have it go to someone who is so insufferable.

EDIT: Also that bar scene is awful. But otherwise the stylization is fun.
Old 2012.12.13, 06:28 PM   #465
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I used to think that bar scene was a drag too. I drifted off when I saw it in theatre. But he was going for old fashioned spy/intrigue scene and it was true to the aesthetic, so I think its hard to fault. If a guy builds a table, you shouldn't be too mad that it doesn't have wifi.
Old 2012.12.13, 07:16 PM   #466
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

The fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

The bar scene IS that movie!!!
Old 2012.12.13, 07:37 PM   #467
TurtleFu

The bar scene annoys me because: the German soldiers are able to be so astute that they recognize when someone makes the wrong hand gesture, but when face-to-face with the FAMOUS NAZI TURNCOAT they don't recognize him at all.

That's some grade-a bullshit, and goddammit when I watch movies I want my disbelief to be SUSPENDED!

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.12.13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 2012.12.13, 07:53 PM   #468
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
when I watch movies I want my disbelief to be SUSPENDED!
So that's why you went for Inglorious Basterds, a movie where Hitler gets shot in the face a billion times?
Old 2012.12.13, 08:06 PM   #469
TurtleFu

Suspension of disbelief is a funny thing.
Old 2012.12.13, 10:09 PM   #470
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

How would every German officer know the precise facial characteristics of one Hugo Stiglitz? It's not like they had CNN back then.

Oh, and after the bar gets shot up to hell, why does no law enforcement show up during the prolonged Mexican standoff afterwards? Nobody called the cops about a massive shootout in a French bar? Damn that suspension of disbelief!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote