Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.07.30, 09:35 PM   #91
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

There was recently published a really interesting interview (that didn't just cover the same-old like every other article I've read about her) with Sa Dingding and why she chose to create an international version of The Coming Ones:

"She says one reason for releasing a more electronic version of the album overseas is to avoid being pigeonholed as a gimmicky “ethnic” artist. “I think my personality and my melodies themselves are ethnic enough already, so using those very traditional ethnic instruments to reinforce that image is kind of overkill.”

Sa says that the two versions of The Coming Ones “are two different albums, because the musical languages they use to express the same ideas are totally different.” And she’s not kidding. The Chinese version is warm and organic, while the Western version sounds a little tighter and much more brittle. The best advice is to simply listen to both."

Full article: http://www.mtviggy.com/articles/for-sa-dingding-its-all-about-soul-and-spirit/

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.30 at 09:39 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.31, 06:53 AM   #92
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I find her explanation a bit weird because to me the western version sounds more ethnic, warm and organic while the chinese one is more electronic and less ethnic. it also doesn't fit her removal of 行者无疆 on the International version cause that was the least ethnic song on the whole album.

but I'm glad that at least she explained her reasons for the reworking of the album for the Intl release. I also regard the two versions as 2 different albums and that's why the International release of the coming ones (incl. Ami Walking) is my favorite album of the year that was released so far (though a certain album that's due to release in september is probably going to take that title )

EDIT: I read the whole interview now, the only part I really didn't like was that paragraph:

Sa says she is a fan of Skrillex, and she is currently working on new songs with Beijing-based British dubstep producer Conrank

Last edited by matan-san : 2013.07.31 at 07:10 AM.
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.14, 01:05 AM   #93
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Wakusei Abnormal has a new EP called アナタソナタ coming out on October 23, it has 8 new songs
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.14, 04:02 AM   #94
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ordered.
Old 2013.08.27, 12:09 PM   #95
Inseu

After checking the track list of Perfume's new album LEVEL3, it's almost a guaranteed no buy. There are 7 songs from previous singles, other than "Handy Man", they're all generic j-pop songs, and the album fails to include a very good b-side called "Communication" from the Spring of Life single.

The new song I heard sounds like a remake of I Still Love U...it's ok...nowhere as catchy as Kyary's Nanda Collection. I doubt the other six songs can save the album.
Old 2013.08.27, 12:25 PM   #96
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
and the album fails to include a very good b-side called "Communication" from the Spring of Life single.
what?? it's awful and regarded by (almost) all their fans as their worst song. It's obvious you're an AKB48 fan if you like this one
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.27, 03:21 PM   #97
Inseu

^I find it a brisk and cheerful song. Maybe Perfume fans hate it the same way Ringo fans hate Metro.

AKB makes keyboard-laden music similar to stuff I listened to as a child. That's why I love them. Do you hear any similarities?

女兒心事難訴說

愛しさのdefense
Old 2013.08.27, 07:33 PM   #98
deadgrandma

The new song (1mm) that just came out is already better than any Nanda Collection song and Communication sucked so hard, wtf drugs are you taking??? I think you like the opposite of what Perfume fans like... so yeah, best to stick to AKB it seems.

But once again... wtf Perfume, why is your limited edition cover the bland one???

REGULAR

CD/DVD/Limited

Not that I'll be purchasing either, I have GAME and Triangle and I think that's all I'll ever need by this group, but still, WTF.

And... I'd rather listen to that Chinese song WAY MORE than that AKB48 song... the last thing I think is "Oh this sounds like AKB48" when I hear it :-p. When I hear that AKB48 song I hear a really really cheap 2003-2005 era Ayumi Hamasaki ripoff more than anything :-p

I feel I'm always picking on AKB nowadays, probably doesnt help that this forum has become more about AKB and other idols than Ringo lately :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.27 at 08:13 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.28, 08:01 AM   #99
Inseu

What's so bad about "Communication"? It's much better than something like "Spending All My Time", which is very similar to vapid western radio-pop. Can't be the lyrics because you guys don't know shit about Japanese. The melody is bubbly and catchy as hell. Maybe because it sounds like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu?

And I remember people finding Carnation boring. Only one guy likes it. ;p

Last edited by Inseu : 2013.08.28 at 08:27 AM.
Old 2013.08.28, 09:05 AM   #100
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Have you heard the pre-GAME singles, DG? I think they're really good, Electro World is something else.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote