Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2015.08.22, 07:01 AM   #671
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

I've finally watched the new Mad Max movie. It had some good parts but honestly, when it comes to films like that I always ask myself a question: 'is it a homage of sorts or are they really serious about being that cheesy?'
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.22, 05:34 PM   #672
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Zordon, have you seen the other Mad Max movies?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.23, 08:26 AM   #673
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Yeah I did. I actually re-watched the first three like last week as well. Come to think of it, not sure what exactly my problem with Fury Road is. I felt Tom Hardy's performance is a bit lacking.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.23, 03:47 PM   #674
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Hardy is a great actor, but you're right; Mel Gibson owns that role. Charlize Theron was the star of Fury Road, I thought.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.23, 08:56 PM   #675
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Hardy is a great actor, but you're right; Mel Gibson owns that role. Charlize Theron was the star of Fury Road, I thought.
I also got the impression that Furiosa (Theron? Not too familiar with actors' names) was the protagonist, since it was her return to homeland/reclamation story. I thought it was a cool story, and it was pretty nice to not have a Super Action Hero Guy taking the lead of an action film--Hardy (this is Max?) was more subdued, but it let Furiosa's character shine IMO.

I actually felt it was way less cheesy than the originals! I was kind of disappointed at how much of the camp it lacked (though I really liked the ridiculous suspended guitar-player and how beefed up the pole vaulters got compared to their utter uselessness in the first movie). The visual homages to the original were also good (like the sudden close shot of the eyeball, haha), and I found the story easier to follow over the course of the film
Old 2015.09.02, 04:14 AM   #676
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Recently downloaded an old Japanese mondo film called Nippon '69 sekkusu ryoki chitai from Cinemageddon. I won't bother trying to describe it, as it is way easier to just copy and paste the uploader's synopsis:

The first half of the film is, at least for myself, the most interesting. It is comprised of all sorts of bohemian shenanigans - bum artists, glue huffers, the street wraiths that haunted metropolitan Japan in the late sixties, young people dancing their nights away in seedy clubs - strange Kabuki-esque performances, tattooing, plastic surgery footage, some S&M stuff where a guy lies on the floor of a bar or something and the waitresses walk and pour dishwater over him, a droplet of watersports, drinking from the toilet and eating from a dog bowl, a row of men with lit candles stuck in their arses. The highlight of the film is probably the utterly bizarre sexual (?) performance involving men in plastic masks and suits bearing other similarly clad men on stretchers who perform in front of woman reclining in gynecological exam chairs with giant hoses attached to their groins. Amazing.

The second half is a little less interesting. It never completely wears out its welcome though. It has a beautiful aesthetic, of grainy film. Urban streets at night under neon lights, dilapidated towns and lush countryside serve as the backdrop to the scenes of bizarre sexual activity, along with the more banal footage: planes doing not much; an excess of student riot footage, perhaps in an attempt to lend some legitimacy to the film through political association, or just because that's all anyone was talking about in '69; sleazy men watching women strip. That sort of thing. Accompanied by an excellent jazz score that knows when to swing, to drive, or to lull the viewer into semi-hypnosis, it ends up being a pretty cool ride. Turn out the lights, smoke a doobie and have fun.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.02, 05:35 PM   #677
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The Man From Macau 2 (2015), fun stuff.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.19, 09:14 AM   #678
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Future Cops, fun HK movie by Wong Jing

City of Life and Death,
communist propaganda nonsense.