Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.07.09, 07:15 AM   #1
haruhi-suzumiya

haruhi-suzumiya is headed in the right direction
Default Refrences

I know there is a thread like this, but that's for people referencing Ringo. This time, it's Ringo referencing people.

I know of one I've posted here.
So. Anyone know some?
haruhi-suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.09, 07:20 AM   #2
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Gibs.

Ripping of...i mean, "referencing" Nirvana's "Heart-shaped Box" video
Old 2007.07.09, 07:24 AM   #3
haruhi-suzumiya

I remember that video! I see the relation. And Kirt Cobain was in that band right? In gips she also references him too.
Old 2007.07.09, 07:31 AM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by haruhi-suzumiya View Post
I remember that video! I see the relation. And Kirt Cobain was in that band right? In gips she also references him too.
Yeah, many use that line in the song about "Kurt and Courtney" as justification for the video. ...To me I think it long jumps over the line from being a clever 'nod' to just plain copy/pasting.
Its still a cool video tho, doing my best to ignore some of the more blatant things.
Old 2007.07.09, 08:04 AM   #5
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

You're insinuating that Gibs video is a [adjective] copy of Heart-shaped box?

That view might have some ammo in the "fact", that a lot of Japanese I speak to have no idea about the existance of Nirvana. They have no idea about any smelly teen spirits.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.10, 11:27 AM   #6
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Yeah, many use that line in the song about "Kurt and Courtney" as justification for the video. ...To me I think it long jumps over the line from being a clever 'nod' to just plain copy/pasting.
Its still a cool video tho, doing my best to ignore some of the more blatant things.
Isn't the whole song about Kurt and Courtney's relationship? Gibs was the inverse of Heart-shaped box. Same elements, but pretty much the opposite mood... I thought the video was just a tribute to Nirvana's death. It doesn't necessarily mean they were being lazy.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.10, 09:49 PM   #7
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

No, the song is about Ringo and someone else, the line is just saying "So that makes us like Kurt and Courtney, doesn't it?"

And yeah, I think she just wanted to make a tribute to Nirvana. Kind of like how the Honnou video was supposed to be a tribute to Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity" video and then... went horribly awry somehow... (the addition of lesbians and nurse outfits had something to do with it)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.10, 10:13 PM   #8
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
No, the song is about Ringo and someone else, the line is just saying "So that makes us like Kurt and Courtney, doesn't it?"

And yeah, I think she just wanted to make a tribute to Nirvana. Kind of like how the Honnou video was supposed to be a tribute to Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity" video and then... went horribly awry somehow... (the addition of lesbians and nurse outfits had something to do with it)
Ahh.. well, in any case, she wrote Gibs way before the video was even made. They probably made the video be a tribute to Kurt as a result of that reference. It definately does color the lyrics by making the relationship parallel that of Kurt and Courtney though.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.11, 01:04 PM   #9
haruhi-suzumiya

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post

The lesbians where about something like women can have erotic fantasies.
Old 2007.07.11, 01:26 PM   #10
Tokyo Jihad

...which men are all for.
/salutes Shiina