Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008.10.29, 08:29 AM   #31
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think that would be ok as well. Currently, the Off-Topic Music board doesn't have that much constant new topics, so I guess that serves as an example for a hypothetycal Movies or Videogames board (didn't remember this before!).
So in the end, what could be done is transforming the Music board into Entertainment board right? That sounds good
Besides, honestly, the current Music board is pretty much just the CLT topic, so I guess the space could be put to better use.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.29, 08:38 AM   #32
ophy

ophy pleased at least somebody

I think we may be over complicating this. New users = good, but not needed. If we just expand a little bit, and allow for more topics of discussion FOR OURSELVES, then things will be just peachy.
I know that doesn't really add to the discussion much, but I don't have anything else to say on the matter. Keep it simple. It'd be nice to talk about movies and games on the EMF forums. I don't think we need an initiation for new users, or some crazy overhaul--that's just way too complex.
Old 2008.10.29, 08:45 AM   #33
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Ophy is the kinda of member that I'm trying to target. Guys like me, Shinji, Whispa, Tj, Etc...we already spend enough time here. We talk about anything and everything on the Off Topic boards and our post counts are godly.

I want to know what Ophy is doing in his free time. I want to rope him in and kill his social life.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.29, 08:56 AM   #34
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ophy View Post
I think we may be over complicating this. New users = good, but not needed. If we just expand a little bit, and allow for more topics of discussion FOR OURSELVES, then things will be just peachy.
I know that doesn't really add to the discussion much, but I don't have anything else to say on the matter. Keep it simple. It'd be nice to talk about movies and games on the EMF forums. I don't think we need an initiation for new users, or some crazy overhaul--that's just way too complex.
Exactly. At the moment we don't want to clog up the off-topic forum with individual movie, album or game threads so everything goes into it's specific "Gaming thread", "Currently watching thread" etc. Having a forum where we could openly discuss entertainment would not only keep the off-topic forum free from an overload of media threads, but it would allows us to openly discuss separate threads of each media rather than filling up 2 pages of the "Currently watching" thread with discussion about 1 show. We could just make a thread about that show/movie in the Entertainment forum and use the currently watching thread for what it should be used for - to just say what you've been watching, and not discuss it for a page. Keeping all entertainment in one forum will assure that it is busy. I don't think separating it into 3 "Movies", "Music", "Video Games" forums is really necessary.

Also, why not have a forum, or maybe a sub-forum of the Landfill where posts aren't added to post count and semi-useless threads such as the "3 Word Story Thread" can lie. Fun threads like that deserve a home, but people shouldn't be getting hundreds of posts from it. The forum could be used for other useless activities that are fun for a forum, but ultimately shouldn't contribute to post count. Maybe a new forum for this is overkill because such threads are kept to a minimum, but I still think something should be done about threads like the "3 word story" so that people can't technically spam their way to a high post count.
Old 2008.10.29, 10:12 AM   #35
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ophy View Post
I don't think we need an initiation for new users, or some crazy overhaul--that's just way too complex.
Thank you. I never understood the fascination with this idea. I part way get Glath's reason, but in the grand scheme its silly.
Old 2008.10.29, 10:47 AM   #36
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Why do we want new users? Is there a revenue target we have to hit?
Or are we just sick of speaking to one another? That's probably the case.
Old 2008.10.29, 11:11 AM   #37
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Exactly. At the moment we don't want to clog up the off-topic forum with individual movie, album or game threads so everything goes into it's specific "Gaming thread", "Currently watching thread" etc. Having a forum where we could openly discuss entertainment would not only keep the off-topic forum free from an overload of media threads, but it would allows us to openly discuss separate threads of each media rather than filling up 2 pages of the "Currently watching" thread with discussion about 1 show. We could just make a thread about that show/movie in the Entertainment forum and use the currently watching thread for what it should be used for - to just say what you've been watching, and not discuss it for a page. Keeping all entertainment in one forum will assure that it is busy. I don't think separating it into 3 "Movies", "Music", "Video Games" forums is really necessary.

Also, why not have a forum, or maybe a sub-forum of the Landfill where posts aren't added to post count and semi-useless threads such as the "3 Word Story Thread" can lie. Fun threads like that deserve a home, but people shouldn't be getting hundreds of posts from it. The forum could be used for other useless activities that are fun for a forum, but ultimately shouldn't contribute to post count. Maybe a new forum for this is overkill because such threads are kept to a minimum, but I still think something should be done about threads like the "3 word story" so that people can't technically spam their way to a high post count.
Completely agree!
That's sort of what I said once about the Random thread, where people started discussing a subject for too long, almost making it worth to create a new topic just for that. The same also happens in the Currently Watching Thread, which has become THE (only) place to make posts about movies and tv shows.
So an Entertainment Board would probably be the best way to go.

And I agree with the "3 word story" post count thing, mainly because my current post count is so hueg because of that topic. But I do like that sort of fun, so I don't think it should disappear. So yeah, what Whisper said~

EDIT: Er... More importantly. Is this topic in the right place? I never noticed where it was until now LOL :x

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2008.10.29 at 12:27 PM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.29, 12:34 PM   #38
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

but I still think something should be done about threads like the "3 word story" so that people can't technically spam their way to a high post count.
I agree with your whole post, but mostly that part. 3-word story sux.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.29, 12:58 PM   #39
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
EDIT: Er... More importantly. Is this topic in the right place? I never noticed where it was until now LOL :x
I suppose it should really be here. There's no announcement to be made, but it's certainly a site suggestion and feedback on said suggestion.
Old 2008.11.25, 07:05 PM   #40
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
There isn't much debate or disagreement on whether or not we should start more life/pastime boards. My question is, should we be more organized about other artists, and if so, do we want to be cautious about the fact that many of these artists don't have this kind of coverage anywhere else yet? You can find videogame/TV/etc subforums all over the web, and even dedicated communities for those topics. If we start organizing our related/unrelated artist subforums so that they're the only rich discussion resource for those specific artists within the entire internet, I'm concerned that if we don't have rites of initiation - we will end up with a saladbowl EMF, which to me would be an immigration nightmare.

If we shrug off the whole "Let's organize our Related Artists" idea, then we miss out on site rank, bigtime, but those topics are going to push us closer to the front of the Google "Shiina Ringo" results than any amount of life/pastime subforums we could start up (which I'm not saying we shouldn't still start up anyway).

There's more to life than site rank, and I'm not hellbent on it. I'm all for hiding a bunch of Related Artist subforums if that's what's better for this community, so two-way constructive criticism, and more specifically these kind of Fate Of The Community discussions, are very important.
In my personal opinion, I think it would be very beneficial to the web, if you guys included a larger section for the related artists (however big or small the list may be). To be able to come to one site and be able to discuss many artists, is far more inviting than discussing one.

I'm a member of the biggest fan site for a electro pop group. The way the board is set up, most is dedicated to the group, but there is a "related artist" section, and in the other j-music section (different from related), there is a thread for just about every major electro artist out there. Admittedly there are more members, but still, if I need any info on electro music, I go to that site. Even though I'm there for the main artists of course. We not only speculate for the main artists, but blend it all in between everyone, because we all have a knowledge of most of the acts out there, because we try to keep each other updated with the major acts.

Maybe a horrible example... but by visiting that website, I can potentially gather so much info, if you were to limit to less artists, the site as a whole becomes less useful, at least in my opinion.

Even if the site were to gather large number of "other artist" fanboys and girls, so what, they would not be in the shiina threads badmouthing her, they probably won't come there at all. I don't think it would affect the old heads in the slightest, at least not in their shiina threads. In off topic or movie threads or whatever, why does it matter? How big a shiina fan you are, doesn't affect you opinion on the new castlevania game, or that k-drama you watched yesterday. I feel the old heads would be virtually undisturbed by additional forums for related artists. I think that this site can only be enhanced by it.

Just like glath said, there are not some formal places for some of shiina's related artists... it would enrich the net by providing even 1 dedicated thread with vital info on them.

I've never been an administrator, or a mod, so I can not offer my opinon on what to do with the influx of new members.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote