Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.11.11, 04:30 PM   #271
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I haven't seen Drive (I'll wait for the video release), but I'm always wary of films that advertise "minimalist dialogue". It's something that many "auteur" directors try to pull off, but 99% of the time it comes across as emotionally flat and incredibly pretentious. I can only really think of one good film that got away with minimalist dialogue (3-Iron).
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.11, 04:31 PM   #272
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oops I downloaded DRIVE ANGRY with Nic Cage by accident. Looks funny though....
Old 2011.11.11, 09:26 PM   #273
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I finally got around to seeing Melancholia. I think its fair to for me to label von Trier as my favorite director. I'm still processing Melancholia. It is pretty bold to follow up a movie such as Antichrist with something like this. I am glad to see he is following along nicely with his Depression Trilogy although his next work is supposedly being titled the Nymphomaniac is about the erotic awakening of women. I love how visceral and raw Antichrist was and I somehow found Melancholia much more subversive in the silent destruction of the character's emotional worlds. there weren't confrontations or screaming matches or genital mutilation, just bleak stretches of time and worlds colliding (literally), which made for a much more depressing and stark film. the shots of space were especially cold and lonely. I am already craving a second watch.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.11.11 at 09:32 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 03:49 AM   #274
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
Oh man, I just hated Sucker Punch overall. I mean I legit wanted to like it and I honestly don't mind Zack Snyder at all - I can understand why people don't like him, sure, but I think he really does have a good sense of direction when it comes to doing these big action films. The thing is though, he's been helped along by pretty good scripts of adapted material (I still think Watchmen is a misunderstood milestone as far as comic book films are concerned - for me, it's on almost on par with The Dark Knight in terms of transcending the genre itself much like the original comic) and Sucker Punch was something entirely original which he wrote and directed himself. And ALL of the things that people hate about Snyder were pretty much on display right there in SP, except it's even more gratuitous and very self indulgent. Oh well, here's hoping Snyder bounces back with Superman, lol.
I think the thing I dislike most about Snyder (besides slow-motionlol), is his use of colors. And by "colors", I mean blue and yellow. Exclusively. Seriously, every scene he shoots is over-saturated with one of those colors or the other. I can't help but think that he either completely ignores his DP or simply acts as his own, 'cause any cinematographer worth his salt would tell him to knock that shit off.

Haha, but don't get me wrong, Suckerpunch is still fucking awful. I didn't actually enjoy it, I just give it credit for having somewhat of an original plot, considering I went into it expecting it to be completely devoid of one.

And I honestly think that Snyder is pretty crap when it comes to directing. I mean, seriously, did you SEE the train sequence in Suckerpunch?
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 06:17 AM   #275
TurtleFu

Snyder is kind of like Nolan. They make blockbusters that people like to pretend are somewhat artistic so they can feel better about themselves. "Oh, I'm smart, I understood INCEPTION!".
Old 2011.11.12, 07:36 AM   #276
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I think its bullshit to insult anyone out there who is attempting to make both intelligent and hollywood style blockbuster movies. first of all, the film industry is an amazingly difficult place to live because its not about art, its about making money. even recognized and celebrated award winners have to scrap together financing picture by picture to stay in the game, a Palme D'Or doesn't guarantee you anything. So if you don't get financed, you don't get a chance to create your vision. Then on top of that the executive producers are oftentimes directly tied to the shareholders/financers and they only care about their film returning some sort of net profit. So I applaud anyone who has the balls to make a film like Inception or yes, even Sucker Punch, in this industry. The amount of direction and purpose you must have to be able to provide at any given point. Granted, it isn't always a success, and Sucker Punch was amazingly bad, but it sure as hell beats an endless array of Harold and Kumar, Hannah Montah, and Adam Sandler movies.

seriously, Jack and Jill? wtf. Perspective perspective perspective.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.12, 08:44 AM   #277
TurtleFu

If you can make an artistic AND blockbuster film, that is actually GOOD, then yes.
But Nolan has been called out for poor direction of his action scenes and Inception's central PLOT completely falls apart on any scrutiny.
Nolan and Snyder aren't making intelligent blockbusters, they're making blockbusters that SAY they are intelligent and nothing else.

How about something like RED? Well-rounded characters, creative directing, funny, witty, smart, and full of action.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.11.12 at 08:49 AM.
Old 2011.11.12, 06:13 PM   #278
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

What about Fight Club? Thats pretty blockbuster-y and not insulting to the intelligence.
Old 2011.11.12, 06:40 PM   #279
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Snyder is kind of like Nolan. They make blockbusters that people like to pretend are somewhat artistic so they can feel better about themselves. "Oh, I'm smart, I understood INCEPTION!".
WTF.

EDIT: saw this gem.
Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
How about something like RED? Well-rounded characters, creative directing, funny, witty, smart, and full of action.
Name:  HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 2011.11.12, 07:21 PM   #280
TurtleFu

Really Jihad?
I know that you're the film expert, but are you seriously going to defend NOLAN!?

I'm not comparing RED to Inception. One is an action-comedy, the other is an action movie with poor directing and an even worse plot. But RED is an example of an action movie that I enjoyed, and Inception is an example of one that I hated.

@grandma
That too! Though my own interpretation (The "Fight Club" is pitiful because it's ridiculous that these men feel so upset that their "masculinity" is threatened) puts me at odds with most others (The Fight Club is so cool! Let's blow up some buildings)