Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.04.20, 02:02 PM   #231
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

We agree on something kuro!
Old 2009.04.20, 02:10 PM   #232
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

So to repeat kuro's translation:

1. 流行 ryuukou vogue

2. 労働者 roudousha the laborer

3. 密偵物語 mittei monogatari a spy's tale

4. ○地点から maru chiten kara from point O

5. カリソメ乙女 karisome otome (death jazz version) temporary virgin DEATH JAZZ vers

6. 都合の好い身体  tsugou no ii karada a profitable body (literally: a convenient body)

7. 旬 shun season

8. 二人ぼっち時間 futari bocchi jikan time for the two of us

9. マヤカシ優男 mayakashi yasaotoko the phony gentleman

10. 尖った手口 togatta teguchi sharpened tricks

11. 色恋沙汰 irokoizata love affair

12. 凡才肌 bonsai hada mediocre skin

13. 余興 yokyou sideshow

I'm completely out of touch on the lyrical/thematic side of Shiina Ringo's music. Do MM, SS and KSK follow certain themes (I have read theories on MM's themes)? Does Shiina Ringo sing about love all the time? What about this time around -- the song names for Sanmon Gossip sound very lovey dovey.
Old 2009.04.20, 02:39 PM   #233
JimmyKoria

JimmyKoria is an asset to this community

Should 旬 be noted as meaning "season for certain things (like apples or hookers)?" and not so much as season as in spring summer fall winter?[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Koria/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 2009.04.20, 02:43 PM   #234
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

okay, I've been meaning to explain the titles, thanks for reminding me.

so the first track refers to something that is in fashion, like a current trend, or craze, this term actually refers to something being popular, however as both a verb and a noun, we see a singular noun here so I chose "vogue" although you could pick things like "fad" or "fashion" I thought vogue fit ringo's image much better.

the second title refers literally to a blue-collar worker, a laborer.

the third title is pretty simple, a mittei is an emissary, a spy, and monogatari is a tale.

the fourth title refers to the point on a map, here being referred to by O, and kara means from, so it refers to being from such a point

we all know karisome otome DEATH JAZZ ver, temporary virgin

the next time was a bit difficult. tsugou would normally translate as convenience, like you would ask someone if meeting at certain time is convenient, or bad for them, you would use this term. then the second part, ii, literally means agreeable, normally a different character is used, but the character ringo is using also means to like, so it is my interpretation that she is referring to a convenient (read profittable) body. a bit sexual, no?

shun can be season, like with food such as fruit or fish, we say it is in season, it is literally a 10-day period.

futaribocchi jikan is relatively straight forward, time for just the two of us

mayakasu means to deceive, mayakashi means fake or phony, yasaotoko literally means a man of delicate features, hence a phony gentleman

togatta means sharpened, ala a blade of a pointy object, teguchi is a trick, hence sharpened tricks, perhaps "honed trick" might be more appropriate, but I liken this to sharpened her claws somehow.

irokoizata is a fixed term meaning a love affair

bonsai hada was another difficult one. bonsai means mediocre and hada means skin, so in this sense a literal translation, as I selected was 'mediocre skin' but perhaps 'rough skin" might be better. mediocre is kind of an odd adjective to go with skin, so I'm thinking she means dirty or rough, so this is still up in the air as "dirty skin" or "rough skin"

yokyou refers to a sideshow, entertainment.

so yeah, out of all of these I'd say obviously Karisome Otome, then tsugou no ii karada, mayakashi yasaotoko, irokoizata are all most likely written with sakuran in mind. as for ryuukou, roudousha maru chiten kara, shun, futari bocchi jikan (I'd say this was sakuran but we know it wasn't since it was reported she wrote it for minna no uta as a song mothers and children could sing along together), togatta teguchi (this might be a sakuran song too, although not overtly sexual), bonsai hada, and yokyou, they could go either way. they could have been written on their own or perhaps started for sakuran and finished later or however.

but overall this is probably the first album of hers that would seem to hav a consistent theme based on the titles. when I first heard the title/b-side, I thought of the color "pink" and after seeing this track listing I thought of pink again. It is very interesting because the whole pink era was definitely SS, so I wonder what the artwork will be like this time around.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.20 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2009.04.21, 03:26 AM   #235
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Sanmon GosSip

panic attacks averted
Old 2009.04.21, 03:59 AM   #236
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

SanmOn GOsSip.
Dun dun dun!

Interesting post kuro, btw.
Old 2009.04.21, 05:17 AM   #237
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Fads, phony gentlemen, temporary virgins, sideshows, profittable bodies and mediocre skins all under the title "superficial gossip".

The first thing that comes to my mind is showbiz and entertainment media. That might explain why I keep confusing "mediocre skin" with "celebrity skin".
Old 2009.04.21, 07:15 AM   #238
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Sanmon GosSip

panic attacks averted
MM,SS,KZK,SGS.
yay.
Old 2009.04.21, 07:37 AM   #239
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

damn, you spend a few days away from the net, and it's like the whole world's changed.

good news for me. I'm not looking for a next KSK (which is my fave), by the way. I'll keep my expectations low, as usual. But I think it will be a decent record.

a big thanks to everyone who has been posting up-to-date news
Old 2009.04.21, 07:39 AM   #240
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I don't care for lyrics, symmetry, cover art and interpretations, bring on the MUSIC!

MyAnimelist
Closed Thread