Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.04.03, 03:45 AM   #1
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction
Default Meisai PV Analysis/discussion

The Meisai PV is one of my favorite music videos ever; it's gorgeous to look at, has a great song backing it up, and most of all, I can't understand it. So, what do you think the deal is? The more wild the theory, the better.
If you want more images from the PV go to here.
Par example...

Why do we have two singer Ringo's? Is it a good one (Ringo) and a bad one (fake Ringo) - since...

...fake Ringo whips the guy with double eyes.
But then, why does he later attack her with whatever-that-is with kanji written on it?

And who are the other guests at the dinner? The guy in the white suit is Ukigumo, and the one with the small black hat (here to the left of the man with an eye-patch) is Saito Neko. Are there any other cameos?

Also: in some scenes, you see the cranium from Gips in the background - look here, comparison here.

So. What do YOU think?
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 03:55 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I would have to say that Meisai is definitely where Ringo is looking her best, or at least among solo career PVs anyway.

I noticed a Canopus drumset in the background, and that sparked my interest because I use Canopus video capture boxes at my workplace. But it turns out they're completely different brands. It's an unusual name though.

You raise a very intriguing question though. Just who are the other people? Is there anyone else special there who we don't know are special yet?
Old 2007.04.03, 04:01 AM   #3
Linnéa

I have to agree with you on the look. I love the maid... It seems like she's the brain behind everything to me. She knows something we don't.

How strange that two companies share the same name. Shouldn't they have trademarked their name? Hmm.

And good job with the forums, by the way. I love it already
Old 2007.04.03, 05:55 AM   #4
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

hmm, definitely my fav PV...

I could imagine that the whole feast is just a daydream of the ringo maid. She hates the boy because she usually has to watch out for this little brat. So she imagines a world where she is the star, a world where she can just slap him like she wants. At the end everything is rewindend very fast and disappears into nothing, leaving only Shiina behind, lighting a cigarette after a hard working day.
The double eyed boy could be a weird torture she invents for him: transparent eyelids, so that he can not turn away and has to bear her treatment.

At the other hand it could be a dream of the boy, and the double eyes are a sign that he's sleeping and thus unable to close his eyes in his nightmare.

And yes, I also think that this is the best looking shiina in all of her PVs

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 07:03 AM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I always thought "the fake shiina" looked like Gackt.

The double eyes thing was aways neat. No idea what that marker thing means. I guess maybe the "no eyelid" guy wants to attack his "boss" rich Shiina, but yet is in love with maid Shiina? I dunno. Maybe shes not even his boss. It's definately one of my favorite vids since you know it "means" something, but damn hell what.
Old 2007.04.03, 07:39 AM   #6
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Linnéa View Post
But then, why does he later attack her with whatever-that-is with kanji written on it?
That Kanji means "to correct" (maybe it means something else in Japanese, but that's what it means in Chinese), that's a giant correction fluid pen that you use when you make mistakes writing somethings.

This PV is easily one of Ringo's most stunning to date. I dig the cross-processed look and the costumes are just amazing.

As to what the PV means, well, I don't usually bother. But I'll see what you guys can come up with.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 09:06 AM   #7
Linnéa

Tokyo Jihad: yeah, maybe a little. Gackt, but with a slightly disfigured face structure.

justiiiringo:
修 正 [しゅうせい] - (n, vs) amendment, correction, revision, modification, alteration, retouching, update, fix
(nihongoresources.com)

So yes you are right. Maybe double eye-guy is trying to erase fake Ringo, cause (s)he is haunting him and whipping him. And the maid is the fairy godmother who helps him.
Old 2007.04.03, 10:19 AM   #8
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

According to Brian Stewart's translations, "the whiteness of the white-out pen imitates [his] affection."

I want to know who all the guests are too, since they all seem like very important people--political and military leaders and celebrities. (Ukigumo? XD)
I dunno who the double-eyed boy is and what his significance is other than to help plot out the maid's plan. What kind of uniform is he wearing, and what is his relationship with the fake Ringo? And, why do so many people have a Ringo mole? XD

Golem, you have some really good theories. @_@ But, my theory is kind of the opposite of yours:

I think the beginning (the short black and white scene) is the dream for the maid to 'get away from everything' and the PV turns into color when we see what her real life is like. Maybe the fake Ringo is the real host of the dinner, and the real Ringo is when the maid imagines herself to be the host. And in the end, the maid poisoned everyone so she can have a peaceful life? o_o Hahah, I dunno.

My favorite part is when she does the napkin-bra thing because it's so random amidst all the chaos. XD
badtzmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 02:42 PM   #9
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

wow, this makes me want to watch that PV again @_@
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.03, 03:54 PM   #10
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I love this movement...

fav part!

(sorry for the crappy gif)
Attached Images
File Type: gif move.gif (1.68 MB, 155 views)

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote