Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.07, 05:56 PM   #91
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Shiina's music sounds more similar to the artists that she has actually worked with than other bands that only share superficial similarities.

Like, seriously, Judy and Mary sound nothing like Shiina.

But P'ez has energetic keyboard playing reminiscent of Kyouiku. Get it?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 07:26 PM   #92
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I couldn't care less who's playing for Ringo, as long as they do exactly what she wants.

I mean, if Ringo bullies Uki until he's in tears in every recording session, we wouldn't have duds like Kaitei ni sukuu otoko, would we?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.07, 10:37 PM   #93
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Wouldn't you want to collect similar artists first?

I mean if I like Tokyo Jihen, I would look for rock bands fronted by charismatic female singers, like JUDY AND MARY, rather than Shiina Iunpei's R&B dirge. I just can't shell out money for that. It feels weird, as if I have a crush on a girl, but end up also kissing her brother...
I've always chosen to believe it's a lost cause to find any artist who "resembles" Shiina Ringo, so I haven't spent much time looking.

It's natural to cough up some money when I like what I've already heard from a related artist, and when the rest of their material is so rare that I would literally have to buy it to hear it at all.

Also how much do you enjoy artists related to Ringo? How highly do you regard them? Do you actually find the same thing you enjoy in Ringo's music? Do you collect their music just for completion?
There are some opportunities for completion, where I just walk away.

Shiina Ringo teaming up with ____, doesn't compel me to explore the rest of their material:
Kameda Seiji
Hirosue Ryoko
Tomosaka Rie
Shiina Junpei (his discover album was all I needed to hear before I dismissed the rest of his solo career)
TOKIO
PUFFY
Chiaki Kuriyama
Rekishi
SMAP

But on the other hand, there's every band/collaboration _____ was ever in:
Asai Kenichi (which affords Chiaki Kuriyama a little more of my attention)
Josei (keyboardist/pianist of SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS)
HZM
Ukigumo

Hirama's solo career (beyond his very first album) has some good material, but doesn't make me want to explore his support of other vocalists.

Izawa has produced some masterpieces for Appa, but I'm not optimistic about HIATUS or any other collaboration he gets into.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
P'ez has energetic keyboard playing reminiscent of Kyouiku. Get it?
I'll admit Gunjou Biyori could have fit as a PE'Z song in 2004-2005, but there's no other similarities between what HZM has contributed to each band. Electric Mole and Dynamite Out resembled HZM's not-yet-unveiled solo career rather than PE'Z.
Old 2012.11.08, 07:02 AM   #94
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Confession:
The only PE'Z I've ever listened to was their 2005 Live and the singles from around that period.

I think my point still stands though.

The artists you listed:
Obviously, those were the ones that had the greatest involvement in Shiina's musical career (other than Kameda, but he's a big-time producer and largely the weakest link in terms of producing). As for Asai Kenichi, he's the single biggest influence on her in terms of inspiration.
Most of the artists you chose to avoid were pretty much mouthpieces for Shiina's songwriting. (Though I do think avoiding Puffy is a bad idea because I like them)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.09, 06:47 AM   #95
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I love this thread. So many gems.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I happen to fucking dig expo version of Marounichi Sadistic. Call Ghostbusters.
Hell yeah!!

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Is Mirrorball EMF’s most hated song.
Now there's a poll idea. Also, I enjoyed drunk Scribble ("fine Halloween night"!!!). ALSO amused at Jihad replying to this thread as the number-one thing he does when he gets some free time.

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
1. Ringo no Uta vs. Himitsu vs. Hayari
These are all solid intros. Ringo no Uta gets you pumped as hell for Kyouiku. She took her final solo song and turned it upside down. The band just comes in tearing the place apart. It rocks your socks off. Himitsu is a great track but gets a little muddled by Adult's production. Himitsu also has the weakest guitar solo of the bunch. Hayari is high energy, fun, electric, and exciting. An awesome way to start off the album. But I gotta give props to Phase 1 here. Ringo's "GIIITAA!!" and Hirama's wailing guitar solo is one of the best moments of Tokyo Jihen history. This one goes to Ringo no Uta.
Winner: Ringo no Uta
This is totally my fault bc I was unsure for a while whether it was Hayari or Ryuukou, but the reading is Ryuukou. Hayari is wrong.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Utada once mentioned that after creating her album Heart Station (which she says had a difficult arrangement process), she wanted to create something mainstream and simple as a pallet-cleanser.
Random but omg pet peeve triggered... it's PALATE cleanser!!! A pallet is a mat on the floor or a square piece of slats of wood. Sorry Turtle.

I mean, if Ringo bullies Uki until he's in tears in every recording session, we wouldn't have duds like Kaitei ni sukuu otoko, would we?
I dunno, from this interview it sounds like she does bully them at least sort of passive-aggressively. So imagine how much WORSE it was before it met with her "approval" if that's the case!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.09, 07:56 AM   #96
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
ALSO amused at Jihad replying to this thread as the number-one thing he does when he gets some free time.
I suffer for my art.