Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008.08.26, 09:28 PM   #21
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I already rep'd you a couple days ago. You want me to go speed-rep roughly a dozen people so I can rep you just for that post, when you've already made other posts that are more... rep-worthy? My remark wasn't intended as a cheap shot. It has some very deep social undertones.

I understand you aren't going so far as to have a signature that says "come on, you know you wanna rep this", but I have to wonder how much less Reputation you'd have at this time, if you hadn't asked for suggested it a couple times already. It's not to say that every post you make is in the pursuit of Reputation increase, but previously nobody has been as upfront as you, about feeling there's at least a couple of times where they really deserve it. I'm not saying you shouldn't have as much Reputation as you've gathered thus far, but what I'm saying is I think there are other people who possibly deserve around the same amount, who aren't getting it because they aren't tacking the suggestion to rep them, on their own rep-worthy post.

I view it kind of like a waiter explicitly 'reminding' you to tip them. You can replace that quoted word with whatever you want, but no matter how you package the motive, you're still bringing up the subject, and doing so is one of those taboos most people don't warn each other about, because most people instinctively know not to try it. You have to view tips/approvals as a statistic and accept the natural behavior that some people do not have the initiative or concern to acknowledge your contribution, yet a minority or a majority of generous people will chip in enough collectively, that the average you get per person (this average includes the people who chip in nothing) should be 'enough'. I would regard donations the same way, because 'reminders' to people who have never donated, are, well... a borderline nuisance that wreaks of desperation, but non-compounded reminders to existing/previous donors, are a lot nicer than auto-deposits. *shuts up*
Old 2008.08.26, 09:34 PM   #22
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I only jokingly asked for rep in the scans thread as 'tongue in cheek' the stars around it should alert you to that fact but nevertheless it seems to have been took the other way ? beyond that I don't think I've ever asked for rep at all ?
(please don't dig out a post and quote me) anyways I meant no offence in it and can see that it comes across as a little 'upfront' if I have done it ? well I'll be less vulgar in the future!!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.26, 10:28 PM   #23
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Ringo Jihen had a lot more activity from non-native English speakers than Electric Mole. But as the years have passed by, the native English speakers have become more comfortable with various levels of sarcasm (at least within the atmosphere of our collective fanbase), and many of them can take it and dish it out. You might say our community embodies "Pleasure spiked with pain", but it's like building up a tolerance to poison, and when a new member shows up, they are offered the same 150-proof mugs of it that have been passed around to everyone else.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is, be very mindful of when and how you use sarcasm around here. I'm certainly not saying to never use it, but always try to contemplate the worst that someone might conclude from your remark, if they didn't completely understand it. Sarcasm and hyperbole seem to be the #1 thing that alienates non-native English speakers from becoming/remaining active posters, because it permeates far beyond the Off-Topic boards, and even if non-native English speakers figure that it must be happening to at least some degree, they don't necessarily know the full extent of it, or get a more genuine sense of our social atmosphere. Even some native English speakers are having problems embracing the way we've already 'evolved'. I would like to dismiss it as "That's their problem and we never needed them anyway", but that's looking at no more than half the truth.
Old 2008.08.26, 10:35 PM   #24
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

*Repped*
Old 2008.09.01, 02:47 PM   #25
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

...OK, I haven't been posting for eons, and the last time I check I had something like 8-10 rep points (not rep power), and right now I drop by coz' my boss isn't here...and I've got 17 points ( 0_o) ...

Could it be a bug where whom ever repped me has had an increase in their rep points, and the reputation they gave out actually scales?

(ignore me if that's how its intended)

Last edited by Kasanagi : 2008.09.01 at 02:47 PM. Reason: emotes...
Kasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.01, 03:59 PM   #26
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

All I see is people with less posts than me and with higher Rep Power.
Anywho, I still want those -1!
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.01, 04:01 PM   #27
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

I'll neg rep you Shinji! it'll be my pleasure

(I won't really)
Old 2008.09.01, 04:03 PM   #28
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
I'll neg rep you Shinji! it'll be my pleasure

(I won't really)
Please do ;_;
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.01, 04:11 PM   #29
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
...OK, I haven't been posting for eons, and the last time I check I had something like 8-10 rep points (not rep power), and right now I drop by coz' my boss isn't here...and I've got 17 points ( 0_o) ...

Could it be a bug where whom ever repped me has had an increase in their rep points, and the reputation they gave out actually scales?

(ignore me if that's how its intended)
The more Rep Power someone has (this is separate from their Reputation points), the more they boost your points from an approval, compared to someone else with less Rep Power. It's not a bug - that's the intended nature of vBulletin, though admins of different vBulletin communities will usually customize it a little and make the scaling more or less... pronounced, based on the membercount and traffic of the specific community.
Old 2008.09.01, 08:54 PM   #30
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^ Let me clarify, the rep 8-10ish rep points I had was back in the days when people had 0-1 rep points. so either:
- the rep power to rep points scaling happens post-approval, Or,
- random people decide to rep a guy that hasn't been posting for nearly half a year...

Not that I'm complaining of course .