Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.10.01, 11:10 PM   #101
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, I tell you what: When SG was coming out I was super pumped and excited. This one I'm like "cool". It won't be horrible. But it won't remotely thrill me either I don't think. Not in the way it should for a new solo album. Maybe album 6 lolz...
Old 2014.10.01, 11:18 PM   #102
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ I think that's partially because her earlier albums tended to have been produced in much-shorter spurts that made them more like concept albums (KSK was overtly so). This album includes songs that came out like 4-5 years ago... I trust Ringo will create a cohesive album, but we already know this album clearly wasn't planned in advance.
Old 2014.10.01, 11:21 PM   #103
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

@DG

SG was the album directly after KZK and after a string of nothing but deteriorating Jihen, of course you would be hyped. Now you think this album is going to be the next Sports/Discovery. Good stuff but nothing to get excited about. Admittedly, I was far more excited about all of Ringo's old material when I was just getting into her than I am for this new album now. But based on the quality of every other solo album... I'm sure the new tracks are going to have some great stuff. But maybe I'm just being optimistic.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 11:06 AM   #104
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Does anybody else get seriously strong MM vibes from AO? This is the song I've been waiting for her to release for a while now - not a classic, but for a rock ballad, really nice to hear her knock one out of the park again. Enough to make me excited to hear the rest of the new material, at least.

I don't think this album will necessarily be as cohesive as SG, but it definitely has the potential to have stronger individual tracks overall.

Mostly, though, I keep wondering what she sees in Carnation besides sales potential... I mean, is this HIT's Onna no Ko? Especially between AO and NIPPON, it's hard to imagine how that'll fit into the mix.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 12:06 PM   #105
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

That bass is so robust and relevant in this song (definitely on top of the guitar), just like in KZK, SS, Mellow and many more. It makes me wonder whether she writes the bass lines and distortion/texture hersef or it's all up to Kameda. Guitar work now strongly reminds me of Ariamaru Tomi, especially the ending part.

I still think she could have added a nice bridge somewhere. It ends up being a bit short to my ears.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 12:41 PM   #106
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
That bass is so robust and relevant in this song (definitely on top of the guitar), just like in KZK, SS, Mellow and many more. It makes me wonder whether she writes the bass lines and distortion/texture hersef or it's all up to Kameda. Guitar work now strongly reminds me of Ariamaru Tomi, especially the ending part.

I still think she could have added a nice bridge somewhere. It ends up being a bit short to my ears.
She hasn't worked with Kameda in a long time. Pretty sure the band for that song is the same band that played with her on her most recent live DVD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 07:31 PM   #107
3knotsJK

3knotsJK has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
She was going to make a full album of new tracks, then she heard Seiko Oomori and thought "fuck it, I have nothing on this"...

True story, she told me. On Skype.
ありきたりな女 is heaven comparing to whatever oomori's output. It's funny you don't get it.
Old 2014.10.02, 07:59 PM   #108
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I get that Ringo has made ありきたりな女 a million times already. Man, she shoulda kept some of them Reimport producers on board on this project.

I am disappointed by how safe it is after some of the stuff she did on Reimport more than anything. Here's to hoping the other songs are gonna have a bit of fire to them.

I am more than positive in general when it comes to Ringo, I was pro-Land of the Rising Sun until I heard this song and realised its just a rehash of all the Tokyo Jihen ballad tropes we've heard before. I expect something a little different each time, but this album really doesn't hide that it's mainly a (nice but most likely short-life) contract filler. Even worse, its under the Shiina Ringo name (not Jihen). I feel some sad times for me ahead.

Though I'm glad this dead horse managed to bring some of the old fans a bit of joy- I personally have moved forward with Ringo (taking in whatever 'crazy' move in direction she threw on her albums with glee) only to have this step back shoved in my face.

If ありきたりな女 is heaven and Oomori represents hell, then I'm so on the dark side this time. Get me a virgin to sacrifice, there's some sacrilege to do!

Why people so uppity when I say something less-than-positive about Ringo (for a change) anyway? Surprise?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.02 at 08:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 08:38 PM   #109
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

It's okay to disagree..............

I think I'll be in Tokyo Thanksgiving week. Are my odds good of picking up all the albums/magazines, etc. that are coming out?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.02, 09:15 PM   #110
deadgrandma

^ if you miss them, just grab em off Amazon. They're usually cheaper than street price on there anyway.

Originally Posted by thespidereggs View Post
Mostly, though, I keep wondering what she sees in Carnation besides sales potential... I mean, is this HIT's Onna no Ko? Especially between AO and NIPPON, it's hard to imagine how that'll fit into the mix.
After testing the three tracks in album order manually in a playlist... Carnation doesn't sound THAT weird after AO... NIPPON though does sound a bit wtf. Maybe she'll arrange the intro a little on NIPPON or something. OR GIVE US THE DAMN ACOUSTIC GUITAR VERSION OF CARNATION. Fat chance it seems though.

The thing about Carnation that I wonder about (much more so than its sound fitting in the album) is... will she REALLY put the original on there (which features Jihen on the track?) Seems so fucked. I mean, surely there's some form of potential legal/royalties issues there... Or maybe not seeing as the original was under her name. Am I the only one who's thought about this or do I care about the wrong stuff when it comes to Ringo nowadays :-p?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.02 at 09:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote