Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.14, 06:37 PM   #71
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

I find myself very moved by Zettai Zetsumei, for whatever reason.

This is a very good album. Doesn't have any killer tracks like "Killer Tune" and "OSCA," but it's a much stronger album overall than the last.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.14, 07:01 PM   #72
waki3691

waki3691 is headed in the right direction

IMO, I think that most of us are a bit disappointed because we have high hopes for this album and we were expecting killer tracks such as those from adult-era. But come on, if it was some unknown indie band who release SPORTS, we would probably think that it was a tremendous effort.

We just complaining because we think that TJ is great and we are just expecting more. Double standards...
waki3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.14, 11:25 PM   #73
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I was expecting absolute s hit so I'm pretty into it.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 12:00 AM   #74
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Zettai zetsumei is freaking awesome. I have it as my ringtone now; just thought I'd say. Haha..

Regardless of whether the rumours are true, this really sounds like a Ringo/Izawa effort to me; the main hook/chorus sound extremely Izawa, and the 'verses' in between are really Ringo.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 12:25 AM   #75
waki3691

waki3691 is headed in the right direction

Yea, it is awesome. The tune is so infectious. Lets forget the rumors and enjoy this song!
waki3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 01:32 AM   #76
darkdisco

darkdisco pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
I was expecting absolute s hit so I'm pretty into it.
Exactly. I try to go into any album release, Ringo or otherwise, with zero expectations. High expectations - for me, anyway - inevitably precede disappointment. I'm loving Sports, but then, over the past month or so, I've found myself getting more into Variety, so I don't expect anyone to take anything I have to say seriously.

The only songs that aren't doing all that much for me right now are FAIR and FOUL. Zettai Zetsumei is my favorite so far, but I'm also really into Sweet Spot (I think her vocals are fine, and those backing vocals around two-and-a-half minutes in, the layered "close your eyes," gave me chills), Noriki, Utenkekkou, and Denpa Tsuushin.
darkdisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 04:19 AM   #77
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
Regardless of whether the rumours are true, this really sounds like a Ringo/Izawa effort to me; the main hook/chorus sound extremely Izawa, and the 'verses' in between are really Ringo.
You are right, Izawa has confirmed that he co-wrote zettai zatsumei with Ringo. I just read it in their interview for MUSICA magazine published today. Izawa presented his unfinished demo to the other members, and Ringo wanted to complete it. He soon received a demo finished by her, which he found really impressive. He thought, 'wow, co-writing is so easy. I didn't know that!'

He didn't specify who wrote which part, and I haven't listened to the track, but I am sure you are right. I am looking forward to giving it a first listen when the cd is released.
obama917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 06:00 AM   #78
Tsuki

Tsuki pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ooh macbeth? what makes you think that?
("Fair is foul and foul is fair / Hover through fog and filthy air" is one off the more prominent lines from the Weird Sisters in Macbeth. Macbeth himself says "So foul and fair a day I have not seen," which I think is one of his first few lines. One way to interpret the lines is that something that seems good might be bad, and something that might be bad might ultimately be trying to help. It'd be interesting to see a Ringo take on this lyrically, so I'll be eagerly waiting for translations.

As for the criticism about song composition, it must be recognized that the relationship between a solo artist and the higher-ups is different from a relationship with a band and those same higher-ups. Shiina isn't being marketed. Jihen is, so every contribution has to be heard for people to associate the music with the members. This is especially important when a band first starts. But I digress.
)

And Iiii'm pretty excited to hear the sooongs, man. And the MUSICA interview sounds pretty awesome. It's cool to get some insight on co-writing. Any news on what else was brought up in the interview?
Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 11:50 AM   #79
chibijelly

chibijelly has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I really enjoyed this album. I've only listened to it maybe three times through, but... As a whole, it's better than Variety for me. The opening and ending tracks are very strong, and everything in-between seems to have been put together nicely. It's not TOO all over the place like Variety was. I like 9/13 tracks on this album, and I'm sure the rest of the songs might grow on me after a few more listens.

Random notes:
- Zettai Zetsumei is perfect. Absolutely perfect.
- I actually like Sweet Spot. I feel like the odd-person-out for saying that, but whatever. It's a nice song.
- Senkou Shoujo is still great.
- Kimaru is my favorite "epic" Jihen song since Tegami. There's something about it that is so whimsical.
chibijelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.15, 12:18 PM   #80
freackled

freackled is headed in the right direction

The biggest disappointment for me is that this album doesn't have a... I guess badass song? Something equivalent to "Sake to Geko," which I find really moving. "Gaman" will have to suffice
freackled is offline   Reply With Quote