Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.05, 09:41 AM   #11
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Wow. What a fucked-up, stupid post.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.05, 09:43 AM   #12
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oddly enough, one of my friends posed this hypothetical question to me yesterday (they always ask me these ridiculous hypothetical questions about SR just to bug me, since I'm such a fanboy), but I didn't really put a lot of thought into it.

Ever since I first got into SR, I've always seen her as the kind of artist that would last (kind of like a Bob Dylan thing, where he redefined the genre and is living to a ripe old age, still making and playing music until the end). I know a lot of people don't like where her career is right now, but I think she's just in a lull, and she'll pull herself out of it soon enough. Anyone who listens to Bob Dylan should remember his Christian phase, and he moved past that (I don't personally listen to Dylan that often, but I have a friend who worships him, so I know at least a little about his career), so I think SR has the potential to move on to bigger and better things as well.

Because I view her career this way, it really pains me to think that she would pass so soon...
Old 2007.05.05, 11:52 AM   #13
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
I know a lot of people don't like where her career is right now, but I think she's just in a lull, and she'll pull herself out of it soon enough.
I hate hearing this, it drives me crazy! I'm in love with HF and ADULT so when people keep saying this it just boils my blood
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.05, 03:47 PM   #14
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Well if Jonny didn't word the title that way he wouldn't be able to get the "OMG IS THIS REAL?!" reaction from some of you right...
Old 2007.05.05, 03:57 PM   #15
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Well if Jonny didn't word the title that way he wouldn't be able to get the "OMG IS THIS REAL?!" reaction from some of you right...
That's the point. You'll be pretty pissed off if an letter came in the mail with "your mom is dead" on the envelope. You open the letter and find out it's an ad for a funeral home.
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.05, 05:11 PM   #16
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I hate hearing this, it drives me crazy! I'm in love with HF and ADULT so when people keep saying this it just boils my blood
Yeah, I agree with you about HF and Adult (HF is actually my favorite SR release at the moment).

When I said that "a lot of people don't like where her career is right now", I didn't mean that I agree with them. What you quoted was mainly just words of encouragement for those fans who think she's lost the "magic"...and, for those who don't like jazz/easy listening, or who were with SR from the start, her recent musical styles would be extremely worrying. In other words, I can understand why some of the people here are upset about her releases of late.
Old 2007.05.05, 05:19 PM   #17
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

(off-topic)

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
When I said that "a lot of people don't like where her career is right now", I didn't mean that I agree with them. What you quoted was mainly just words of encouragement for those fans who think she's lost the "magic"...and, for those who don't like jazz/easy listening, or who were with SR from the start, her recent musical styles would be extremely worrying. In other words, I can understand why some of the people here are upset about her releases of late.
Thank you for being so understanding catch5. This is a classic "I respect your opinion" moment.

One thing though, it's not really the change in genre that's worrying me, but more about how she lacks the creativity she had in the past tackling those other genres. It's something like, as you grow up you become more and more disillusioned with life, and that's what I am hearing from her music right now. I liked her because she sounded fresh, new, original, hopeful. But now? I hear fatigue. And that's worrying me.
Old 2007.05.05, 05:51 PM   #18
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
(off-topic)

Thank you for being so understanding catch5. This is a classic "I respect your opinion" moment.

One thing though, it's not really the change in genre that's worrying me, but more about how she lacks the creativity she had in the past tackling those other genres. It's something like, as you grow up you become more and more disillusioned with life, and that's what I am hearing from her music right now. I liked her because she sounded fresh, new, original, hopeful. But now? I hear fatigue. And that's worrying me.
It's not about respecting opinions because most people just say how bad she is now and someone said something about her music sounding like she was "retiring". I don't mind it if someone doesn't like something I do but when people just say "it sucks" is what ticks me off.

Also, how is there a lack of creativity because she made an orchestrated album? Its completely different from her other music, so I think that is a wrong critique of her new music. Adult is also very unlike anything I've heard before and so I do not see how you can say it lacks creativity.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 12:50 AM   #19
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I realize this might be terrible of me to say, but the upside to Shiina Ringo dying, would be that we'd finally get something from her like With The Lights Out. (go ahead and call me selfish - but you know you want it) I just can't imagine that sort of thing being released while she's still alive, and not necessarily because she'd be the one trying to supress it - I'm more inclined to believe Toshiba EMI would jump on the chance because it's more money for them and they wouldn't have anything else to unveil.

But that matter aside, I'd try to organize some kind of memorial/marathon for fans within driving distance of me, and encourage board members of other regions to do the same. And I'd be sure to visit her grave during any of my trips to Japan. Perhaps I'd even speak to the grave and cry once I got there.

Her death wouldn't change how often I listen to her music, though it might inspire me to upgrade my sound systems even more, in order to "summon" her to me on demand, more convincingly than I could before.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.06, 01:18 AM   #20
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

I have my moments of being completely girlish and weak - and I think the day Ringo dies (which, like someone said earlier, I don't expect for a long time: I see her as Bob Dylan, too. Plus, Kurt, Janis, etc, they all were dopeheads... and I don't think Ringo is) will be one of them. I will possibly cry and I won't be able to understand it.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote