Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.03.21, 08:26 PM   #131
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

today I watched Mother by Bong Joon-ho, the acclaimed director of The Host. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen in the past few months, and brought back fond memories of watching Sympathy for Lady Vengeance in the same theater. The director was very smart for this picture, he scaled down from political and social issues and zeroed in on a small community and a specific relationship between mother and son, with a dark twist. watching the entire thing play out in its own macabre way was like watching the perfect anti-hollywood "mom saves the day" susan sarandon-type flick so popular in the US. definitely check it out, its in limited release now and will probably be on dvd later this year

Mother
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.10, 11:19 PM   #132
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm 3 minutes into Love Story and I'm already looking for my shotgun. Really 1970, this was all the rage? I can only hope Ray Milland will be lovely enough to make it bearable.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.11, 07:24 PM   #133
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Hmmm, 1970. M.A.S.H., Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Five Easy Pieces... three way cool movies that were really over my head then, and at least one that made partial sense to a seven year old, Beneath the Planet of the Apes. Cult fave Herschel Gordon Lewis's Wizard of Gore, an amazing cheapo Southern drive-in favorite, and John Waters second film Multiple Maniacs. And a lot of really awful stuff. Not totally a bad year!

I consider Russ Meyer's Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Robert Altman's M.A.S.H. to be the the two must see movies of that year, though I love all the ones I mentioned.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.12, 04:56 PM   #134
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

How To Train Your Dragon was pretty cute. It had good characters, some very nice flight sequences, and an overall enjoyable story. Definitely recommended.
Old 2010.04.19, 09:48 AM   #135
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Kick Ass is awsum.

Oh, and I also like How to Train Your Dragon.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.02, 04:44 AM   #136
mizer_unmei

I just saw Iron Man 2~ For some unknown reason Korea got it a week before the US did. I'm not complaining though. Teeheehee.

But yes~ it was pretty awesome. On par with the first one from what I remember of it. (It's been a while.) Thoroughly entertaining, and Robert Downey Jr.'s lovely sarcasm was the win. A win which seemed to fly over Korean people's heads, 'cause there was an awful lack of laughter in the right parts.
Though there's a lot of those (Diana Rigg-less) Avengers all up in there. Not as happy with them, really.

And omgoodness, Stan Lee was "Larry King" in this one. Hahaha. Another thing that went over Korea's head.

last.fm
Old 2010.05.20, 09:11 PM   #137
mizer_unmei

Ha~ double post.

I watched "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead". It's all very Waiting for Godot, but funnier. Usually I don't like existentialist things, but when it's fun like this one and has a back drop of the familiar story of Hamlet, I simply adored it. Plus Gary Oldman might be the cutest he's ever been -- he's my hero.

Aaand, the best scene ever:

teehee <3

last.fm
Old 2010.05.23, 09:38 PM   #138
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Finally saw Iron Man 2 and it was great. Delivered just like the first one did. There was a little more emphasis on action and humor than plot this time around but it was a fun movie. I really enjoyed it.
Old 2010.05.29, 05:21 PM   #139
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I've just seen the horror movie Pontypool

extremely and incredibly good.
If you want to enjoy the movie even more than I did, don't read anything about it at all beforehand.
It's extremely tense and yes, it IS horror, although it starts somewhat slow.
But this doesn't make it worse, this is part of what makes it so great.
It's an unusual horror movie, and not for the likes who watch it for the gore.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.04, 08:45 AM   #140
SakeIt2Me

SakeIt2Me is headed in the right direction
Cool

I've had Casshern on my movies-to-watch list for ages and finally watched it.
The thing is, I had no idea it was a Japanese movie, and I was expecting a lame run-of-the-mill superhero saves the world film, which is the impression the pathetic write-up on the case gave me.

This is easily the most powerful sci-fi I've ever seen. Usually, when I can spot elements obviously taken from other series (or that seem that way), I am taken totally out of the story. But in Casshern they're out of my favourites series, and are just done so well I was won over. (Ex. Mechas from Ergo Proxy, cityscapes from Metropolis thanks to Rintaro, cell pool which I expected Rey Ayanami to pop out of)

This movie blew me away. In the last hour of the movie I crushed the chip bag I was holding into a golf-ball sized lump and kept gripping it until the end, when I realized "Ewww...what is this chunk of sweaty plastic I've got clenched in my fist?"

Everyone is a potential soldier, therefore I think everyone should have to watch this movie. Sci-fi with a conscience that doesn't make you gag as it tells you to think about the effect you as an individual can have on the world.

And yeah, I'm sure you guys talked about this somewhere other than the Avatar thread, cause Shiina put a song in it...but I'm posting in this one, k?